Around The NHL 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

No one's defensive.  You just seem to be sitting at your keyboard itching for a fight and projecting...  that is pretty much the definition of gaslighting.

Travis Hamonic... mid-tier... haha okay

"Wow - you're on a roll this week." was nothing more than a petty and inflammatory response to what was a pretty harmless statement: the Jets giving up assets to acquire a pending UFA defenseman is a lousy idea. There was nothing malicious about that statement but you chose to reply in your usual snide, antagonistic way. But I'm the one itching for a fight...? "Haha, okay."

And now you're making more assumptions and misusing words. If anything, the one who's projecting is the one who continually refuses to articulate himself, instead choosing to make needless, immature statements in what seems like nothing more than a lame attempt to derail a thread.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Nice to see you’ve written off the season...

Nobody's written off the season.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Nice gaslighting.

Maybe try a different, more rational approach next time, such as actually expanding on your views and explaining your opinion. You know, actually having a productive discussion.

You seem to think Hamonic would 100% be a difference maker on the Jets, enough to advocate giving away assets to get him despite his being a pending UFA. However, you refuse to address why you think that. Seems a bit strange to take such a hard stance without substantiating it in a meaningful way.

FWIW, I'd take him on this team. He's a local guy, he's a RHD, and he can chew up minutes. I just don't think the Jets should trade for him and wait until July 1 to acquire him - that costs nothing but a new contract offer.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

FWIW, I'd take him on this team. He's a local guy, he's a RHD, and he can chew up minutes. I just don't think the Jets should trade for him and wait until July 1 to acquire him - that costs nothing but a new contract offer.

Next time - just leave it at this line - instead of starting with an inflammatory and shitty response - you do it on both Jets and Bombers threads...

This response would lead to a positive discussion - instead you referred to him as 'mid-tier' and now you say you want him on the team

If we're still in a position to make a playoff run, you absolutely get Hamonic as a rental - Jets have capspace, Hamonic takes pressure off Morrissey same way he does for Hanifin, and he's a bonafide top two D - no debate anywhere about that - you also get the chance to introduce him to your team culture and first shot at re-signing him

If Chevy is not adding a D this season, that absolutely means we have written off the season.  Our current D core will not take us deep in the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Next time - just leave it at this line - instead of starting with an inflammatory and shitty response - you do it on both Jets and Bombers threads...

This response would lead to a positive discussion - instead you referred to him as 'mid-tier' and now you say you want him on the team

If we're still in a position to make a playoff run, you absolutely get Hamonic as a rental - Jets have capspace, Hamonic takes pressure off Morrissey same way he does for Hanifin, and he's a bonafide top two D - no debate anywhere about that - you also get the chance to introduce him to your team culture and first shot at re-signing him

If Chevy is not adding a D this season, that absolutely means we have written off the season.  Our current D core will not take us deep in the playoffs.

Our current D is playing pretty well. Its never about 1 or 2 guys tho.. D is a team concept.. If the forwards buy in, then it dont matter who is on D really. Would it be nice to have bigger names? Guess so but our D with big names Buff Trouba and Myers didn't win anything either. Does Hamonic make a difference? Likely not. Hes a good solid D man but.. Fact is.. Its not about 1 player.. We lack a legit 2 center.. Our goalie is standing on his head.. Hamonic changes this how? 

Buff Trouba Myers. Is Hamonic better than any of them? Maybe Myers but hes certainly not a Buff or Trouba. 

Why give up anything for him? If he wants to come "home" you sign him July 1st. Give up a guy like Appleton? Oh is that all it takes to get apparent stud d man Hamonic? A 4th line winger who is hurt? Oh and a pick? So im assuming since hes a stud #1 D man.. That pick is a 1st again? Not happening. A 2nd or later and Appleton dont get you Hamonic. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Our current D is playing pretty well. Its never about 1 or 2 guys tho.. D is a team concept.. If the forwards buy in, then it dont matter who is on D really. Would it be nice to have bigger names? Guess so but our D with big names Buff Trouba and Myers didn't win anything either. Does Hamonic make a difference? Likely not. Hes a good solid D man but.. Fact is.. Its not about 1 player.. We lack a legit 2 center.. Our goalie is standing on his head.. Hamonic changes this how? 

Buff Trouba Myers. Is Hamonic better than any of them? Maybe Myers but hes certainly not a Buff or Trouba. 

Why give up anything for him? If he wants to come "home" you sign him July 1st. Give up a guy like Appleton? Oh is that all it takes to get apparent stud d man Hamonic? A 4th line winger who is hurt? Oh and a pick? So im assuming since hes a stud #1 D man.. That pick is a 1st again? Not happening. A 2nd or later and Appleton dont get you Hamonic. 

Flawed logic...  if we're playing well, don't make a deadline trade for a playoff run because we don't want to give up a first - even though we have too many forwards and two more D in the system

First of all, Hamonic is as good as Trouba or Buff - he's better defensively than any of them - but that's just my opinion and most who watch hockey

We do not lack a 2C - we now have Blake Wheeler - why would you mess with chemistry ... not saying Maurice won't but the top nine is working

Appleton and a 1st gets Hamonic and its worth it - Hamonic all of a sudden takes the pressure off Poolman and there's a whole ripple effect - he also takes 20+ minutes a game of pressure off Helle who I agree is standing on his head

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

What a bizarre deflection. And spare me the lecture, man. I said trading away assets for a pending UFA is a lousy idea and rather than just take that at face value, you made a snide remark.

Hamonic is a mid-tier defenseman. That's not a slight at all. He's a solid, physical shutdown blue liner who can eat up 20-odd minutes a night, chipping in offense on occasion. You misinterpreting - seemingly deliberately - that opinion is on you, fuelled by what seems like an apparent inability to comprehend anything that's been posted in this thread recently, either by myself or others. Saying he'd be a good free agent acquisition doesn't change the opinion of his quality; teams need depth and he would undoubtedly add to it. I don't get your objection to that opinion but I'm hardly shocked considering how poorly you've handled yourself since your initial snide response. I feel like you're exhibiting some sort of weird homer bias because he's a local guy, overvaluing his quality and what he brings to the table. Are you related to Hamonic or something? You seem to be taking this way too personally.

One player does not a team make and looking at the Jets so far this season demonstrates just that. And you speaking in absolutes only weakens whatever peculiar argument it is you're trying to make. Cheveldayoff not making a move such as what you've suggested absolutely does not mean the Jets have written off the 2019-20 season. That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've read today. And then you double down on the dumb and claim most who watch hockey agree with your views. Get a grip.

It is astonishing how a differing opinion on Travis Hamonic elicited such a weird, childish, and defensive response.

56 minutes ago, JCon said:

What year is this?

More like what universe... It's abundantly clear who's suffering from flawed logic - if you can even call it logic.

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah sure.  Not falling for that again 

Just kidding.  This one is real. 

To date, Jersey in the running for biggest disappointment based on what they hoped at the start of the season. I`m hoping though the Leafs take home that prize at the end of the season. 

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To date, Jersey in the running for biggest disappointment based on what they hoped at the start of the season. I`m hoping though the Leafs take home that prize at the end of the season. 

Thought they over achieved last year.

As for Hamonic, he was good last year in Cowtown but so was everyone else. Can't believe he's 29 already.

I'd definitely put him above Myers on the D side. People forgot what a chit show Myers was last 20 games last year taking cross checking penalties late every game.

Just waiting for shoe to drop on this team. Sbiza - our most vet dman :D - keeping it together.

Per @NHLJets, the club has claimed forward Nick Shore off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jets also placing Dmitry Kulikov on injured reserve.

Kind of a wtf move. 3pts in 21 games with Leafs. If not our current 4th line center and if not the Moose's top line center then this is better?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Per @NHLJets, the club has claimed forward Nick Shore off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jets also placing Dmitry Kulikov on injured reserve.

Kind of a wtf move. 3pts in 21 games with Leafs. If not our current 4th line center and if not the Moose's top line center then this is better?

`Babcock`s fault. Never the player`. Toronto sports media

Dont mind the Shore pick up. Gus can be loaned to Sweden and maybe go play big minutes with the Moose. Hes 19 still. Think hes been the best player on the 4th line persinally but 19. 

I wouldn't look 2 much at stats judging these guys.. Pionk was crap with new york and looks great here. Shore plays the type of game that might very well be a good fit for this team. 

Harkins is interesting.. Not sure he has the speed for the nhl game but he prob does deserve a shot eventually but.. I think hes more of an option if a Lowry or i dunno even Wheeler got hurt. Hes a playmaker.. Putting him on the 4th line prob wouldn't be the best fit. Now send Shaw back down once Apples is healthy as shaw has literally done nothing. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its a fact tho. Hes also hurt quite a bit. If Hamonic wasn't from Manitoba would u still think hes better? Cuz hes not and he would likely agree cuz he's not a dumbass. 

Hard to argue when you’ve made up your mind without providing any actual supporting info

Hamonic is an experienced leader with a defensive mind - solid partner for Morrissey and a massive massive upgrade on Poolman

his fancy stats are always good especially when you consider he’s  on an offensive minded team 

yup he’s been hurt and yes he’s 29 but he’s still got 3-5 years left and will not break the bank or demand a massive overpay

He is a D that can be a reliable core piece and will open more space for Morrissey 

that’s why you trade for him - not sure what the price is but of any D potentially available he is by far the best 

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Hes a ufa july 1st. Jets won't give up their 1st for him. Do they even have cap for him? I mean i dont think u move a cost controlled player for him. Kukikov or maybe Perreault but why when u can get him for "free" July 1st. 

Umm... of course the Jets have cap - Buff is basically gone and Little is on LTIR - tons of room

So if we continue over-achieving - if Helle is still standing on his head... and we are top 3-4 in our conference - how do you NOT trade for a Dman and make a playoff run?