Around The NHL 2019/2020

So many rumours flying so I wont add to them by saying anything but the guy who told me it was Buff considering retirement said there was a physical ailment component to it.  I think its a matter of having the drive to play through an issue or not.  He has a lot of money but this year he would take home $8 million so you'd almost think one more year for your last big payday.  

Id assume this wasnt something he was leaning towards previously cause if so, Jets would have had a lot of money to play with in free agency.  And they're clearly hoping he decides to play.

Ultimately, he doesnt owe us anything so if he hangs em up, we were lucky to have him.

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://deadspin.com/the-jets-nightmare-offseason-keeps-getting-worse-1838212585

Pretty much nailed it. Is it bad how apathetic I'm feeling about this team at present...?

Adversity can help bring a team together.  It is what it is.  Its not like laine & Connor are going to sit out the season.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Adversity can help bring a team together.  It is what it is.  Its not like laine & Connor are going to sit out the season.

While that can be true, it can also do the opposite. My main concern is the fact the blue line has already taken a beating, so losing #33 would be another massive blow. This team can ill afford another loss on the back end.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

While that can be true, it can also do the opposite. My main concern is the fact the blue line has already taken a beating, so losing #33 would be another massive blow. This team can ill afford another loss on the back end.

The last time our blue line was 'decimated'... we made the playoffs for the first time...

Maybe having less talent will mean that Maurice tightens up his D system again and simplifies it instead of letting everyone run and gun...  it worked before but man we'll be dead in the water if Morrissey gets injured...

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

if Buff retires, I assume the Jets would make a trade.  And probably not Ehlers for whomever since they wont need to shed salary.  In fact, if Buff retires and Connor & Laine dont report by Oct, Jets are under the cap floor and would need to add.  I assume they'll just sign Connor at the very least.

That was a false report... if Buff retires and Connor/Laine are not here, the four league minimum contracts added would put them above cap floor

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I wonder if Carolina would swap Brossoit for Faulk...  both are pending UFA...  Carolina really has no goalie

I doubt Brossoit since he was a good back up and is pals with Helle.  Probably a pick.  I dont love Faulk though.  Rather take a look at Honka but again, that doesnt shore us up today.  Had the Jets known, they'd likely have gone after Gardner harder.

Man if I could retire with 50 Mil in the bank and fish 12 months of the year, I would be the happiest sonofabitch you ever met. If there's maybe concussion stuff going on and you don't wanna risk it... Get out while the getting is good. As said earlier, Buff owes nobody anything... 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

The last time our blue line was 'decimated'... we made the playoffs for the first time...

Maybe having less talent will mean that Maurice tightens up his D system again and simplifies it instead of letting everyone run and gun...  it worked before but man we'll be dead in the water if Morrissey gets injured...

Yeah, and got swept. Is that supposed to be consolation? What worked five years ago is pretty irrelevant today.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, and got swept. Is that supposed to be consolation? What worked five years ago is pretty irrelevant today.

We got swept after our injured D came back... and we went back to freewheeling D with Bogo and the crew

And yeah - tell Maurice that what worked five years is irrelevant today... please.

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

How would Gardiner have helped? 

Likely see depth forward for Faulk or Ristolainen. Rumors a while back about Perreault for Risto straight up. 

That's a garbage trade...  Perrault makes everyone he plays with better - reunite the PLE line

Just now, Floyd said:

That's a garbage trade...  Perrault makes everyone he plays with better - reunite the PLE line

Perreault is not the same player he was. Hes aged. Hes a solid bottom 6 guy but.. He only stands out by taking dumb penalties. Bottom 6 forward for a at worst 2 RHD? In a second