Lions @ Stamps

19 minutes ago, O2L said:

It’s pretty much what happened in the Bombers/Als game in 2017, although we were down by 13 with 58 seconds left I believe. Can’t remember who our QB was, obviously wasn’t Nichols cause from everything I’ve read he’s not a QB that can win games in those situations. Oh I remember, it was Arbuckle!

Congrats on the Lions for their 300+ passing yards last night! Second win of the season for them!

I was at that game.  We were down 12 with around 1:20 left in the game. 

20 minutes ago, O2L said:

It’s pretty much what happened in the Bombers/Als game in 2017, although we were down by 13 with 58 seconds left I believe. Can’t remember who our QB was, obviously wasn’t Nichols cause from everything I’ve read he’s not a QB that can win games in those situations. Oh I remember, it was Arbuckle!

Congrats on the Lions for their 300+ passing yards last night! Second win of the season for them!

The old 'I remember a game back in 2017 when Nichols played well at the very end and we won... he's obviously a great QB' argument. 😎 Followed by the old '300+ yards passing doesn't mean a guaranteed win' argument. Classic Gerry. Classic.

Apparently, Lions had Arbuckle in camp last year and Wally figured he wasn't good enough, cut him, so he went to the Stamps. Huffer figured he was a keeper. Good call.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone think CGY wins if Bo Levi stays in the game?

I didnt watch so it's an honest question. 

Michell did not look his usual unstoppable self for most of the game, and the apparent shoulder problem was just the icing on the cake. It did not look like he had the stuff to pull this one out of the fire and it was a happy occurrence that Mitchell pulled himself out of the game and Arbuckle came in to win the game. Arbuckle did look very good and deserved full credit but unless Mitchell is seriously injured (a possibility), he will start next game.So, we will not likely know if Arbuckle is consistently good for quite a while.

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The old 'I remember a game back in 2017 when Nichols played well at the very end and we won... he's obviously a great QB' argument. 😎 Followed by the old '300+ yards passing doesn't mean a guaranteed win' argument. Classic Gerry. Classic.

My point more has to do with some anointing Arbuckle as one of the top QBs in the league based on two drives in one game against a terrible defence. To your point, in two years if Arbuckle has done nothing (or won a TON of games but not thrown for the requisite amount of yardage to make fans happy) then we’ll look back on this game as not being proof that he’s a star, but simply a flash in the pan. 

21 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone think CGY wins if Bo Levi stays in the game?

I didnt watch so it's an honest question. 

it appeared that Bo was in pain and couldn't throw, so unless he was planning on handing off every down and winning, I don't see how the Stamps would have won unless Arbuckle came into the game.  That being said, that Lions D became so putrid that the 2013 Max Hall to Kito Poblah Blue Bombers would probably have shredded them.

3 minutes ago, O2L said:

Yeah I was there too, amazing game. You’re right about us being down by 12, but I just checked, we’ll under a min left. 0:44 when Nichols throws the first TD. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/28/recap-winnipeg-41-montreal-40/

yes, I was referring to when we took possession before he threw the first TD.  Most people were heading to the parking lot at this point.

4 minutes ago, O2L said:

My point more has to do with some anointing Arbuckle as one of the top QBs in the league based on two drives in one game against a terrible defence. To your point, in two years if Arbuckle has done nothing (or won a TON of games but not thrown for the requisite amount of yardage to make fans happy) then we’ll look back on this game as not being proof that he’s a star, but simply a flash in the pan. 

Saying Arbuckle is one of the top QB's in the league is silly at this point in time. So is not being able to disconnect a QB's performance from winning or losing. Reilly had an almost perfect game last night and lost. The loss wasn't his fault and it doesn't diminish how well he played.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Saying Arbuckle is one of the top QB's in the league is silly at this point in time. So is not being able to disconnect a QB's performance from winning or losing. Reilly had an almost perfect game last night and lost. The loss wasn't his fault and it doesn't diminish how well he played.

Reilly did play very well, but he also threw a pick 6 that was called back because of something that had nothing to do with the throw, and two plays prior had another one almost picked. He also failed to get his team in the end zone to end the first half and had a couple redzone opportunities turn into field goals. Team game obviously, but despite the numbers there was plenty to criticize. BC let Calgary hang around (much like we did with Edmonton the other night) and Calgary took advantage of it. 

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

So is not being able to disconnect a QB's performance from winning or losing. Reilly had an almost perfect game last night and lost. The loss wasn't his fault and it doesn't diminish how well he played.

That’s right. And it works the other way too. It’s a team game, and it’s nice to have more pieces than the other team...and be better disciplined...and cut out the TOs...and have good Coaching decisions..and follow the game plan according to script, and be better at 2 of the 3 elements of the game.defence, offence, and ST. 

The vaunted 300 passing mark means nothing if you are missing even one of the other elements. It’s nice to say you have the best QB in the league, but I’d rather have the wins..

The one play that stands out to me is the failure by the Lions to score from the 1 yard line at the end of the second quarter. Reilly is a big QB and I can not remember the last time anyone stopped him from gaining at least a yard. And to boot if I remember the play correctly, the Stamps defense stopped him right over where Chung sits at right guard. And Chung is known for his run blocking abilities from what I can remember. That IMHO might have been one of the pivotal plays of the game.

Reilly also missed a wide open Carter on the first play of the final drive of the game, possibly a go ahead touchdown. Instead he underthrew it giving the defender time to catch up, something that Nichols would’ve been ripped apart for on here. I think Reilly is a great QB, but it seems that some here put on blinders to the mistakes that other teams make. I watch every single one of these games, and I’m confident in saying that the Bombers, with Nichols at the helm, would’ve beaten both of those teams last night. 

On Thursday, Nichols had three deep passes. One to Matthews was called back because of a penalty. One to Adams resulted in PI so we got the yards, but they didn’t count on Nichols’ stat sheet. And the one to Lucky we all celebrated. That’s another 100 yards in passing that wasn’t counted on his statsheet, as no fault to him, that people just choose to ignore, much like people ignore Reilly’s mistakes last night. Let’s not even get started on Bo Levi and his unbelievable contract. You’d really rather have that guy for $900k or whatever the hell it is?

Would our team be better with Reilly or Mirchell as QB? NO, because we would have to lose several of our best players to make it happen. Reilly’s team missed the playoffs last year and is 0-3 this year. Until the salary cap is lifted, you can’t just build a team with one player. I’ll take our team, the team that beat the second best team in the west on Thursday, and the team that almost beat Calgary last night. 

And in terms of the last two times both Nichols and Streveler played Edmonton last year? Nichols won in a blowout, Streveler lost. I 100% thinks streveler is our future QB, but Nichols is the present and I’m more than ok with that since we’re the only team not willing to mortgage our future on one guy. Thank god Walters is our GM. 

1 hour ago, O2L said:

, but it seems that some here put on blinders to the mistakes that other teams make.  

So much this. Lots of people claim objectivety but in reality what they do is focus on what the Bombers do poorly and what other teams do well.  Calgary hasn't looked good this year and BC has looked awful. West right now based on the first 3 weeks of the season has Winnipeg and Edmonton as the top teams in the west and it's not close. Right at this moment.

28 minutes ago, Zontar said:

BLM couldn't raise his arm. He was never staying in.

Yeah, grimacing in pain after a throw. That looked like a tear or something serious. He was later seen on the sideline on one knee in absolute agony. Not good. But somehow Calgary always has the next guy ready.

26 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yeah, grimacing in pain after a throw. That looked like a tear or something serious. He was later seen on the sideline on one knee in absolute agony. Not good. But somehow Calgary always has the next guy ready.

The fact he wasn't rushed off to trainers room suggests it's relatively minor. Priders hearts were a flutter there for a minute.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

Apparently, Lions had Arbuckle in camp last year and Wally figured he wasn't good enough, cut him, so he went to the Stamps. Huffer figured he was a keeper. Good call.

The biggest sign of a bad team is wasting good talent. 

Arbuckle made some really impressive throws.