Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

2 hours ago, JCon said:

There was zero wind during that kick. 

The wind gusted towards the kick twice right prior to the kick. It was gusting intermittently from the south all game. 

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Quoting 4th total quarter passing stats when the team was leading in the first 5 games makes no sense.  We all know that LaPo gets conservative with the lead, so I wouldn't expect passing stats to be very high in the 4th quarter through those games.

Except the exact same thing happened in the other 3 games, and in previously. 

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

Why isn't it? 

exactly...I actually chuckled reading the post about Bauming. 'Cause, y'know, if anyone would know if it's sustainable or not, it's Bauming. I truly enjoy the guy's work and respect the hell out of him for his CFL passion, but c'mon.....he can't say that.

6 hours ago, do or die said:

I listened to the coaches show.....and have discovered many interesting products and services to buy.

ABA L-O-N ABBBAALOOOOOOON.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Why isn't it? 

Because you can stack the box and shut down the run AND nichols cant deal with the pass rush. You put your front 7 in gaps more. You cant expect to play old US heavy run with very little passing and win. Even in the past when the run game was a much bigger part of the game you couldnt do that. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

exactly...I actually chuckled reading the post about Bauming. 'Cause, y'know, if anyone would know if it's sustainable or not, it's Bauming. I truly enjoy the guy's work and respect the hell out of him for his CFL passion, but c'mon.....he can't say that.

He can, because its true. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Because you can stack the box and shut down the run AND nichols cant deal with the pass rush. You put your front 7 in gaps more. You cant expect to play old US heavy run with very little passing and win. Even in the past when the run game was a much bigger part of the game you couldnt do that. 

If it is so easy then why are the Bombers 6-2? Why have they won amongst the most games cumulatively the last few seasons? Why is Harris always one of the top yardage guys in the league? 

Harris is the star of this offense, God damn rights they're going to use him a lot.

51 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

How many times do teams have to falter after a hot first half of the season before people realize what type of offence is sustainable and what type isn’t? This happens literally every year. 

So you're saying it's Lapos issue? I knew you would see it my way.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If it is so easy then why are the Bombers 6-2? Why have they won amongst the most games cumulatively the last few seasons? Why is Harris always one of the top yardage guys in the league? 

Harris is the star of this offense, God damn rights they're going to use him a lot.

because prior to the last 3 games, 2 of which we lost, Harris wasn't the primary targeted receiver... the ball was distributed more equally among the receivers... Harris still got some touches but not like the last 3 games...

during the 3 games that Lapo was actually opening things up, games 3, 4, and 5, the offense was averaging 430 total yards of offense... the last three games where we were heavy run and Harris the most targeted receiver in the legendary 'dink and dunk' the offense averaged 305 total yards of offense... sure, Harris was putting up killer combined numbers for himself, but, as a team we were less productive and losing games... 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

So you're saying it's Lapos issue? I knew you would see it my way.

in large part I agree with you... if you go back to the Hamilton game where Nichols had the 3 INTs you will see the offensive scheme start to shift back to the dink and dunk... lots of check downs... screens... playing under the chains on 2nd down once again... Harris being the most targeted... and the team sputtering along...

if you go to the Game Tracker and look at the play by play you can actually see the shift... Lapo doesn't trust Nichols... or he's afraid to open things up because of the fear of turn overs due to Nichols accuracy issues on throw beyond 10 yards... sounds harsh but it's true... 

however, Nichols did prove that with the larger throwing windows that were created by the varied and layered depth routes, he could make throws good enough to be successful...