Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

26 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

ok, I'm good with that then... at least someone willing to be reasonable and objective as to why there is concern... it when the others try to say we're crazy that makes it intolerable, at least to me...

Dont worry, you're not the only crazy one.

Edited by Bigblue204

21 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

well then that's pretty sad then, if your best shot of securing victory doesn't include your highest paid player, not only on offense but the entire team, and you would rather have a back up out there getting it done... don't care why the reason... 

Then you should immediately stop watching this team. They dont play people just because hes the highest paid. They play people based on situations. Last night, they needed the clock to run. In football, you do that by running. With Streveler out, hes another running back. 

To add to another posters comment, left Nichols in for the entire game, but pulled him for the last drive due to performance issues, only to let him back in to kneel down...? That makes sense to you? Qbs who are pulled, aren't let back in the game to do the victory formation. That just doesnt happen. It really isnt hard to understand. 

Edited by Bigblue204

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

well then, color me crazy then for thinking that with the game on the line that the person considered to be the best option for moving the offense should be QB1, not a back up...

It’s strictly situational.   There are other situations where they took out Mathews and put Miller in.   Other times they took out Couture and put Remple in.  It doesn’t mean Remple should start at centre, it just means he has special skills as a long snapper.   

In the last minute of the game, with the lead, you want to run the ball to keep the clock running.  Strevs is a better runner than Matt, so the coaches made the right decision that proved successful.  I think it is folly to extrapolate situational decision to mean anything else. 

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

It’s strictly situational.   There are other situations where they took out Mathews and put Miller in.   Other times they took out Couture and put Remple in.  It doesn’t mean Remple should start at centre, it just means he has special skills as a long snapper.   

In the last minute of the game, with the lead, you want to run the ball to keep the clock running.  Strevs is a better runner than Matt, so the coaches made the right decision that proved successful.  I think it is folly to extrapolate situational decision to mean anything else. 

well that's odd then, they had the same situation the week before against Toronto and Nichols got the call... hmm, I guess all situations aren't the same, even when they look the same...

39 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

well that's odd then, they had the same situation the week before against Toronto and Nichols got the call... hmm, I guess all situations aren't the same, even when they look the same...

O'Shea always says he has to watch the film to find out this & that when asked a question by the media. I guess he watched that film from the Argos game & came to the conclusion they had a better chance to win with Streveler in there than Nichols.

8 hours ago, Jaxon said:

always appreciate your insight from a coaching perspective....

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Maybe they just corrected the mistake they made against the Argos.

Like I said before.... they are very slow at making  adjustments.   Maybe next time Nichols has a terrible half or more they will put in Chris to see if it can jump start the offense...

7 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

They do lots of running plays all game.... so shouldn't that mean Big Chris should get more reps ?

Yes, and since their skill sets are so radically different there's a great opportunity to really **** up the opposition.  The Bombers DID THIS last season already.  You've got teams on short weeks with limited practice/meeting time.  They spend more of that prepping counters to Streveler they spend less time focused on the pocket passing game/base offense.  They spend no time on Streveler and more RPO and general option running, more focus on shutting down the base offense then we exploit that.  A quarter into the game the Bombers will know where the opponent is at and can adjust.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yes, and since their skill sets are so radically different there's a great opportunity to really **** up the opposition.  The Bombers DID THIS last season already.  You've got teams on short weeks with limited practice/meeting time.  They spend more of that prepping counters to Streveler they spend less time focused on the pocket passing game/base offense.  They spend no time on Streveler and more RPO and general option running, more focus on shutting down the base offense then we exploit that.  A quarter into the game the Bombers will know where the opponent is at and can adjust.

The only reason they may not be doing this is wait until later in the season to roll it out. Surprise attack. 

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

The only reason they may not be doing this is wait until later in the season to roll it out. Surprise attack. 

I’d like to believe this is the case but last season, Streveler became less and less involved late in the year. Even with Nichols struggling badly. It seems unlikely that this type of thing is even on Lapo’s mind. 

48 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I’d like to believe this is the case but last season, Streveler became less and less involved late in the year. Even with Nichols struggling badly. It seems unlikely that this type of thing is even on Lapo’s mind. 

I'd have to look at the statistics but Streveler was far more involved at the end of the season last year then he has been all season this year. He platooned in during both playoff games. 

A former Bomber goes to the same gym as I do. I overheard him in a spirited discussion with another gym patron who was expressing his displeasure with the Bombers offense this weekend. The former Bomber was diplomatic but said, among other things, "Bomber receivers can't get open. Except for Wolitarsky". Interesting take. Is it possible we as fans should shift some of the blame to the receivers? Not just Lapo and Nichols?

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

A former Bomber goes to the same gym as I do. I overheard him in a spirited discussion with another gym patron who was expressing his displeasure with the Bombers offense this weekend. The former Bomber was diplomatic but said, among other things, "Bomber receivers can't get open. Except for Wolitarsky". Interesting take. Is it possible we as fans should shift some of the blame to the receivers? Not just Lapo and Nichols?

I don't know, if all the recievers were consistently getting open would they be checking down as much? Is the playcall '**** any open recievers, check it down anyways'