Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

I honestly don't want to wade into this big pissing contest, but here's one thing I know: I've seen a lot worse teams with a lot worse QBing than we have, win the GC. I'm not saying "we're gonna win!" but I'm saying "we're good enough, and Nichols is good enough to win".....it doesn't have to be pretty to get the job done.

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

considering that the only free agents next year are Arbuckle..Streveler...most likely Bridge and other random back-ups...whom else do you suggest the Bombers sign??...Nichols is already under contract regardless, so he will be here...possibly re-structured, but Strev will be signed with incentive, and caveat that if he wins out as starter, he will get proper compensation for first time starter contract...can deal with the Nichols issues then after camp

Masoli but he will be coming off a ACL tear

Well he never turned ball over...got us in position to kick 2 field goals...another where we failed on 3rd and short...and put up 33 some odd minutes of time of possesion...effectively keping Cgy off the score board...there is that aspect that can't be understated

Maybe it's football gods shining down on him for many many many games in 2016 and 2017 where he put up over 30 points as the QB and we lost because our defense couldn't stop a JUCO offence consistently

Edited by Booch

and, just for the record, I'm not absolving Nichols of anything or saying he's the second coming of Tom Brady, but Jesus.....some of you are so far out too lunch and just CONSUMED by negativity. I've seen enough 3-15's to last a lifetime.....I'm gonna enjoy 6-2, thanks.

do we blame him for only being able to get the offense into the opponents red zone twice during the entire game? And one of those times was due to a penalty being called on Calgary and if not, would have been another punt as the pass was complete yet short of the first down... 

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Nichols is only adequate. Down after down, he is predictable. Changing him up, now and then with Streveler, increases his effectiveness. When the Coaching staff finally realizes we can use BOTH QBs, this team will have reached a higher level. 

Do it.

adequate [ ad-i-kwit ]

adjective

as much or as good as necessary for some requirement or purpose; fully sufficient, suitable, or fit 

As long as there is a plan for inserting Streveler into the game, I have no problem with it.  I'm not sure it's fair to him if it's on a willy-nilly basis (not saying you're suggesting that).  

is it not reasonable to be concerned about our offense moving forward when you consider that almost half, 8 of 18, completions were to our running back? that our running back was the most targeted receiver and had twice as many targets than the any of our receivers (8 Harris, 4 Matthews)? that half, 9 of 18, completions resulting in 67 of his 177 total passing yards were passes thrown on average 1 foot, (12"), each?    

1 minute ago, 66 Chevelle said:

is it not reasonable to be concerned about our offense moving forward when you consider that almost half, 8 of 18, completions were to our running back? that our running back was the most targeted receiver and had twice as many targets than the any of our receivers (8 Harris, 4 Matthews)? that half, 9 of 18, completions resulting in 67 of his 177 total passing yards were passes thrown on average 1 foot, (12"), each?    

It's reasonable to be concerned.  It's not reasonable to suggest that you bench the starting quarterback of the team with the best record in the league in the first week of August.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

It's reasonable to be concerned.  It's not reasonable to suggest that you bench the starting quarterback of the team with the best record in the league in the first week of August.

I don't believe you will find anywhere here that I've suggested that Nichols should be benched in favor of anyone... but, don't you find it a little suspect when the game is on the line that the coach send Streveler out to secure the game instead of Nichols? 

I don't believe you will find anywhere here that I've suggested that Nichols should be benched in favor of anyone... but, don't you find it a little suspect when the game is on the line that the coach send Streveler out to secure the game instead of Nichols? 

Not you, but there's a whole thread dedicated to it. Streveler being in was not suspect when everyone knew that the Bombers weren't going to throw the ball (that's on Lapo).  Just made the run play a little more difficult to defend.  

5 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Nope and it's been said on here many times that the coach wanted the dual running threat with Streveler and Harris. One of the few good  things Lapo did last night.

Edited by B-F-F-C

so nobody believes that it had anything to do with Nichols not being able to get a first down in like situations in games past? ok, lol...

So he's going to leave him in the game for 59 minutes and then pull him in the last minute because he doesn't have confidence in him to get a first down?  Sounds suspect to me.

6 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

well then that's pretty sad then, if your best shot of securing victory doesn't include your highest paid player, not only on offense but the entire team, and you would rather have a back up out there getting it done... don't care why the reason... 

Highest paid player has nothing to do with it.  I've provided my reasoning and defended it but there's obviously nothing I say that's going to change your mind. 

✌️ out

3 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Highest paid player has nothing to do with it.  I've provided my reasoning and defended it but there's obviously nothing I say that's going to change your mind. 

✌️ out

honestly not trying to be difficult or argumentative, just looking for perspective from those that feel differently than I do... that's all...