Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

Going over his games with Passing yards stats ....

2019 - 

0 - 300+

3 - 250 - 300

1 - 200 - 250

4 - less then 200

2018 -  

1 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

2 - 200 - 250

8 - less then 200

2017 - 

7 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

3 - 200 - 250

3 - less then 200

2016 - 

6 - 300+

2 - 250 - 300

6 - 200 - 250

1 - less then 200

In comparison... Fajardo has 3 - 300 games this season already.   Drew Willy had 3 - 300 games in his last season with us.....   The trend for Nichols is not good at all.   

31 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

T.O.P. Bombers 33:41, Stamps 26:19, despite two S.T. TD's that kept the Bomber offence off the field in the first half.  If Nichols couldn't move the ball, how do you explain that differential?

Quite easily.  Andrew Harris...especially when Nichols passes him the ball behind or near the line of scrimmage and let's him do all the work.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

2019 - 

0 - 300+

3 - 250 - 300

1 - 200 - 250

4 - less then 200

2018 -  

1 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

2 - 200 - 250

8 - less then 200

2017 - 

7 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

3 - 200 - 250

3 - less then 200

2016 - 

6 - 300+

2 - 250 - 300

6 - 200 - 250

1 - less then 200

In comparison... Fajardo has 3 - 300 games this season already.   Drew Willy had 3 - 300 games in his last season with us.....   The trend for Nichols is not good at all.   

But but but passing yards are over rated!

The passing games ability to consistently drive the field has been bad for years. 

Id love to see first downs to 2 and outs but I'm too lazy to dig it all up my self. 

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trevor Harris makes $550,000. I'd think somewhere between $450 -$500,000.

At this rate I expect plop or Nichols to be gone. Some one will give Nichols that kind of money for sure. And I could see him wanting to leave in the off season. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

2019 - 

0 - 300+

3 - 250 - 300

1 - 200 - 250

4 - less then 200

2018 -  

1 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

2 - 200 - 250

8 - less then 200

2017 - 

7 - 300+

5 - 250 - 300

3 - 200 - 250

3 - less then 200

2016 - 

6 - 300+

2 - 250 - 300

6 - 200 - 250

1 - less then 200

Now do an in depth analysis of the situation in these games. Do you honestly think that it is purely a coincidence that Nichols passing dropped when the defense improved and we had the ability to grind the game out? 

Lot of people being dishonest with themselves about this team and in particular the quarterbacking position. Lapolice is the limiting factor  ot the quarterbacks.

7 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

What do you think Nichols is going to ask for in the offseason? $650k?

Nichols is signed for 2020 at $450K per year, but the Bombers have an out in January 2020 where they can let him go without any cap hit. That's where things get tricky, and a lot depends on how we finish.

Grey Cup win - I'd say they re-sign Nichols to a Trevor Harris level contract. Not saying I'd be thrilled, but how can you not retain your Grey Cup winning QB?

Playoff loss first or second round - not sure. Perhaps Walters and O'Shea realize that paying Nichols $600 - 700K per year is not worth it, and they try to go with a lower cost/higher return option. Streveler, Arbuckle, unknown promising youngster ... for somewhere near $300 per year, and use the remaining money to shore up some other areas of the team. You sell it to the fan base and Nichols as a cap decision versus a statement on him as a player. That's the way I'd go as make believe GM.

Edited by M.Silverback

No way in H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS is Nichols worth anywhere near that much money.  

If they win a Grey Cup then pay raises/money needs to go to guys like Jefferson, Sayles, Wilson,  Rose who are keeping this team competing. 

If you are going to pay $700 000 why the F would you spend it on Nichols when you could of spend it on Harris ,  Mitchell or Reilly??

To me I think the team, and the fans, need to start looking at QB's through a salary cap lens more. The question always should be do you want to spend say $600 - $800K on a QB? If so, which QB's? Right now there are only 2 in the entire CFL that you could justify paying that to, and one of them isn't exactly tearing it up in BC.

If I'm a GM in this new tight cap world my rule would be who is the best QB I can get for $300 - $450K maximum? I'd feel that if I can get average to slightly above average play from my QB, and I build up the team around him, I could contend for a cup in a 9 team league.

So, why not keep Nichols you ask? Because he's going to price himself out of that range and he is not worth a penny more than his current salary for his slightly below to average level play. I'd ride with a $350 K per year Streveler or Arbuckle. 

And perhaps a new OC. 😅

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

My bloody PVR facked up and half of the game was scrambled (thanks MTS).

From what I did see ...    Nichols did go intermediate a few times in the first half with great success.  First read quick tosses to Wolly ,  Lawler and Matthews.  It worked beautifully.

After that I saw a continuous checkdown to Harris.   Even Suitor mentioned it. 

I don't know how LaPo can be blamed completely for this all of the time.   He's not calling 3 yard checkdowns to Harris all night long is he?

He may or may not be calling the check downs, but he is calling the routes that the receivers are running.  I noticed on a few plays, all 4 receivers were just running straight down the field with nobody in the middle. Maybe the play call was to try and draw all of the defenders deep so that Harris had room to run on the check down.

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Trevor Harris? Really? Guy who makes short passes and can't hit the endzone? Y'all ***** about Nichols for the same crap but at least he scores touchdowns.

Career wise the guy has more TD passes then Nichols in a lesser amount of games played?      Also much more yards passed and less interceptions.   

I'm not saying Harris is the best but he's light years better then Nichols.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Now do an in depth analysis of the situation in these games. Do you honestly think that it is purely a coincidence that Nichols passing dropped when the defense improved and we had the ability to grind the game out? 

Lot of people being dishonest with themselves about this team and in particular the quarterbacking position. Lapolice is the limiting factor  ot the quarterbacks.

Look at the first few games of this season, the return game was giving our O such short fields that they couldn't have generated a ton of yards even if they wanted to.  When you've only got to go 50 yards or less to score a TD, you're not going to rack up many yards.

Sounds like the QB controversy is is not only going to persist but intensify from here on. Walters has proven himself to be pretty astute in talent assessment and recruitment and no doubt is aware of the same concerns expressed in this forum. What about trading Nichols to the Argos and signing Ricky Ray for the balance of the season if Ray has recovered from his concussions? Ray has proven that he can get the job done when stepping in on short notice.

30 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sounds like the QB controversy is is not only going to persist but intensify from here on. Walters has proven himself to be pretty astute in talent assessment and recruitment and no doubt is aware of the same concerns expressed in this forum. What about trading Nichols to the Argos and signing Ricky Ray for the balance of the season if Ray has recovered from his concussions? Ray has proven that he can get the job done when stepping in on short notice.

Ray has officially retired, so not really an option there.