Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

I expect the Stamps with Arbuckle to drive right at the center of the line due to Bighill not playing as well as he has and the loss of Jeffcoat. Their passing game will test Fenner and the mobility our safety. Their defence will blitz and use d-line stunts to try to confuse the rookies on the Bomber O-line. If the Bombers cannot run, they will be in trouble, as the Bomber passing game has not scared anyone of late. The Stamps will absolutely try to take away Harris in the flats.

Pretty much a game plan any team would employ against any other team...just replace players names

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

Nichols played just fine. No interceptions and he moved the ball.  Sure you’d like more td’s but I still don’t like some of the play calling by Lapo. Would have been a different game if Matthews caught that ball and the woli catch in the end zone could have gone either way.  

They would have kicked the fg earlier. But it was a nice throw with Matthews. 

Hes Soft... Matthews

Nichols tho is experiencing some sort of mental issues on the field.. Biggie also it appears...fear of more injury? It could be.. 

Nichols has not been good. 

2 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Nichols played just fine. No interceptions and he moved the ball.  Sure you’d like more td’s but I still don’t like some of the play calling by Lapo. Would have been a different game if Matthews caught that ball and the woli catch in the end zone could have gone either way.  

3 steamboats, check down to Harris

3 steamboats, check down to Harris 

Bombers win no thanks to Nichols.  Defense good, Special teams good, Harris good.  Nichols mediocre.  

Bottom line is he failed to march the team down the field on his own.  He passed for a paltry 177 yards and only 16 first downs.  He failed to generate one TD on offense.  He seemed to expect Harris generate first downs out of nothing per usual and this conservative play nearly cost the Bombers the game.

The past 3 weeks, there is no QB in the league who has generated as little offense as Matt Nichols.

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

If you guys truly believe streveler should be handed the reigns. You’re truly delusional. 

But I almost want to see it so that you’ll finally give it a rest. 

You’re overrating the positive impact Nichols has had on this team’s record and underrating how backbreaking it is when he can’t move the ball in close games. The players would never admit it but it’s a massive handicap. 

3 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

If you guys truly believe streveler should be handed the reigns. You’re truly delusional. 

But I almost want to see it so that you’ll finally give it a rest. 

Time to find out what he can do.  Give him a series or two.  It doesn't mean he will succeed, but they need to give him more than running plays.  He should be allowed to actually develop with some reps that are more than simple running plays. 

Edited by blueandgoldguy

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The issue is once the pressure is on he doesn’t go through his reads and will not take a unprotected hit in the pocket. 

And streveler does the same thing but he too gets happy feet but tries to make it up with his legs.  Teams will eventually key in on that and make him ineffective. 

Streveler does not progress thru his reads. 

Edited by B-F-F-C

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

And streveler does the same thing but he too gets happy feet but tries to make it up with his legs.  Teams will eventually key in on that and make him ineffective. 

My concern is that teams are starting to key in on the Nichols-Harris checkdown. Streveler can run that play too while being a threat to take off himself. He adds another wrinkle. Spreads the D out a bit.

14 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

We know for certain at this point that Nichols gets happy feet and doesn’t progress through his reads. At least at the absolute bare minimum, Streveler can move the ball with his legs. He’s young and may never amount to anything but you have to take the shot. Stamps didn’t know what they had in Arbuckle until he was pressed into duty and he’s looked real good and confident. I wouldn’t call the gadget plays and garbage time reps a legitimate look at what he’s capable of. 

Edited by AKAChip

I believe 177 tonight. Not good enough. He had the deep ball, he tried twice both were good throws and very close. It was there as Cal was playing aggressive. I don’t know if it’s Nichols or LaPo but we need to push it down field more than we have. Harris was inhumanly good the last two weeks, but we need a passing game. 

28 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Mathews may have caught that pass if it was thrown better.... but even if he didn't he would have been pushed out of bounds for no catch

My bloody PVR facked up and half of the game was scrambled (thanks MTS).

From what I did see ...    Nichols did go intermediate a few times in the first half with great success.  First read quick tosses to Wolly ,  Lawler and Matthews.  It worked beautifully.

After that I saw a continuous checkdown to Harris.   Even Suitor mentioned it. 

I don't know how LaPo can be blamed completely for this all of the time.   He's not calling 3 yard checkdowns to Harris all night long is he?

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Bombers win no thanks to Nichols.  Defense good, Special teams good, Harris good.  Nichols mediocre.  

Bottom line is he failed to march the team down the field on his own.  He passed for a paltry 177 yards and only 16 first downs.  He failed to generate one TD on offense.  He seemed to expect Harris generate first downs out of nothing per usual and this conservative play nearly cost the Bombers the game.

The past 3 weeks, there is no QB in the league who has generated as little offense as Matt Nichols.

T.O.P. Bombers 33:41, Stamps 26:19, despite two S.T. TD's that kept the Bomber offence off the field in the first half.  If Nichols couldn't move the ball, how do you explain that differential?