Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This forum is a becoming a ******* mess. Win 5 in july... grey cup bound, lose 2 in July,  fire everyone and look forward to 2020. And of course... "Dont see the pro Nichols crowd out" while conveniently forgetting they were gone during the winning. Lol.

Its Aug 5th, bombers are 5 and 2 tied for 1st with room for improvement. Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend!.

I think its the way theyve lost the games that most people are panicking about. No one would be complaining if they lost a 31-30 hard fought game against Hamilton with Masoli and Nichols trading punches. Its the fact that happy-feet hot garbage Nichols is back and the once stout defense is giving up huge yards to clowns like MBT.

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I think its the way theyve lost the games that most people are panicking about. No one would be complaining if they lost a 31-30 hard fought game against Hamilton with Masoli and Nichols trading punches. Its the fact that happy-feet hot garbage Nichols is back and the once stout defense is giving up huge yards to clowns like MBT.

My feelings exactly.   No adjustments from the coaching staff, and fail across the board, in pretty all aspects (except A. Harris)     However winning a first place battle with the Stamps, would make a lot of this.....go away.

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Can't help but notice the absence of some members in this thread over the last 2 and a half weeks... 

The cat got your tongue USABomberfan?  I've been awaiting your insulting and demeaning commentary on how everyone is wrong... And Rod Black, no snide, witty comments to support your buddy?  Lol, imagine that...

at least SpeedFlex27  is big enough to come back and take the heat... One can at least respect that....

Wow wouldn't you feel like a **** if they were away on vacation or worse in the hospital or any other scenario where real life trumps MBB

36 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Not sure why that would matter or how it's relevant to the conversation... But if you must know, my name is located just left of this message, the top line, the bigger, darker letters... Hope that helps... 

Just rattling your chains a bit.. LOL. I still think Nichols can get it done but my confidence that he can is greatly shaken. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, though. I also have come to realize that our HC is one of the most stubborn people out there. He'll continue to play Nichols, no matter how bad he plays & he won't play Streveler even if the team is up big or down big just to give him playing time. We have an offensive coordinator who goes for broke when the score is close then inexplicably goes back into his protective play calling shell & sits on 14 point leads. Meanwhile, our DC calls blitz packages & never varies from them even if the other qb recognizes & kills us. Or plays a soft zone & suddenly 350 yards passing  is thrust upon us. I can't do a thing to stop what O'Shea does as a coach so why should I worry about it? Getting bent out of shape just seems so exhausting.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Wow wouldn't you feel like a **** if they were away on vacation or worse in the hospital or any other scenario where real life trumps MBB

In defense of myself and 17to85, I was getting married this weekend and he was a groomsman in our wedding party.... 

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

the only people that ever hinted at a injury for Nichols at the end of 2018 were fans....

That's because it is purely speculation... does nobody else remember things before Nichols? Drew Willy left to die on the field... Justin Goltz... Brian Brohm?!??

People seem to forget it was Streveler - not Nichols - that air mailed that open pass late in the 3rd quarter of the Western Final last year.

Nichols has done everything he can to get better and come back from injury, he's a selfless leader, and owns his mistakes when he makes them. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, however he is still our QB, and has given his all for the city - show him at least some level of respect.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

In defense of myself and 17to85, I was getting married this weekend and he was a groomsman in our wedding party.... 

Congrats man! And welcome to the fraternity of married men.

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

That's because it is purely speculation... does nobody else remember things before Nichols? Drew Willy left to die on the field... Justin Goltz... Brian Brohm?!??

People seem to forget it was Streveler - not Nichols - that air mailed that open pass late in the 3rd quarter of the Western Final last year.

Nichols has done everything he can to get better and come back from injury, he's a selfless leader, and owns his mistakes when he makes them. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, however he is still our QB, and has given his all for the city - show him at least some level of respect.

Respect is a funny thing -- it can take a lifetime to earn but only seconds to lose. He is well paid and is no different than anyone else that plays for this team. He needs to honour the uniform and bring his A-Game every time he steps on the field for the blue and gold. His performance of late has not been in the tradition of the great QBs that have come before him so let's not gush too much for an under-performing Matt Nichols. The onus is on him to find his game and fast!

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Of all the good things you can credit Nichols for, and those things do exist, the guy rarely owns his own poor performances. Even when he was getting credit for his comments after the Hamilton loss for seemingly owning up to a bad game, it felt an awful lot like he was blaming fluky circumstances for his bad throws. The whole “that doesn’t happen more than once in 10,000 throws” thing was clearly him trying to justify his backbreaking interceptions. Even if the actual comment is factual (and it clearly isn’t) it would be nice to hear him take sole responsibility. He often rushes to the “receivers weren’t open” excuse. 

And I find the sentiment that he deserves respect because he’s “our QB” and gives the team and the city his all on the field more than a little bit silly. He’s a professional football player. You’d like to think that every player, if not the distinct majority is giving it their all. It’s not for the city or the fans, this is his job. And if a person is doing their job poorly, I’m not going to give them a break because they tried their best. I’ll give him credit when he performs well, but he deserves to be derided when he’s poor. And unfortunately for us, that’s more often than not. 

Edited by AKAChip

29 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

it felt an awful lot like he was blaming fluky circumstances for his bad throws. The whole “that doesn’t happen more than once in 10,000 throws” thing was clearly him trying to justify his backbreaking interceptions. Even if the actual comment is factual (and it clearly isn’t) it would be nice to hear him take sole responsibility. He often rushes to the “receivers weren’t open” excuse. 

It only felt like that if you have an axe to grind. What it is, is a guy explaining why the throw was bad. Came off his hand wrong. We've all thrown a football before, we have all had a ball come off the hand poorly. No dismissing anything, just a guy saying that's what happened. 

It's not excuses, it's reasons. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

It only felt like that if you have an axe to grind. What it is, is a guy explaining why the throw was bad. Came off his hand wrong. We've all thrown a football before, we have all had a ball come off the hand poorly. No dismissing anything, just a guy saying that's what happened. 

It's not excuses, it's reasons. 

I would buy that more if Nichols wasn’t historically reluctant to take responsibility for poor performances. It’s his right to say what he wants, I am just responding to a comment referring to Nichols as a guy who owns his mistakes which is clearly not generally the case. 

Some of you have too high standards. It's the same bullshit people got on Glenn for. Just cause a guy isn't constantly breathing fire doesn't mean he doesn't care of doesn't take responsibility. Hell Ricky Ray never showed any emotions either, now granted he was a much better quarterback than Nichols, but point still stands. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Some of you have too high standards. It's the same bullshit people got on Glenn for. Just cause a guy isn't constantly breathing fire doesn't mean he doesn't care of doesn't take responsibility. Hell Ricky Ray never showed any emotions either, now granted he was a much better quarterback than Nichols, but point still stands. 

Andrew Harris takes responsibility when he underperforms or makes a big mistake, why should Nichols get a pass?

52 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don’t need to see emotion. Saying “I was terrible” rather than “Receivers weren’t open” doesn’t require a guy with a fiery passion. But the better leaders almost exclusively say the former rather than the latter. 

43 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I don’t need to see emotion. Saying “I was terrible” rather than “Receivers weren’t open” doesn’t require a guy with a fiery passion. But the better leaders almost exclusively say the former rather than the latter. 

But even when he says that you dismiss it. No for folks like you Nichols can't win. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

congrats friend, I found you on ebrandon about 12 years ago and signed up on ourbombers.com . I was about 13 years old then.

sending good vibes to you and youre new wife.