Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

28 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

The last 5 years under this regime shows plenty what kind of team this is. We'll make the playoffs, probably around 11-7, and be one and done in the first round unless the opposition has significant injury problems. That's what happens when you bring the same crap back year after year expecting different results.

Crap? Idk man. 

Have you forgotten the Reinbold days, Kerwin Bell, Lefors, Mack, Mike Kelly, Asper, Ramonce Taylor, Max Hall, Justin-loose-Boltz, Jim Daley, Jyles, ectectectectect....

Yeah im kinda  down we **** the bed the last two weeks but the regime has brought this franchise back to respectability. Blowing it up is not im my cards. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

The last 5 years under this regime shows plenty what kind of team this is. We'll make the playoffs, probably around 11-7, and be one and done in the first round unless the opposition has significant injury problems. That's what happens when you bring the same crap back year after year expecting different results.

There’s actually been a reasonable amount of positive turnover during this regime. Just not at QB where it counts most. 

Edited by AKAChip

So we've really looked at his physical gifts but is one of Nichols issues that he's not as mentally strong as other QBs. BLM or MR seem extremely confident and inclined to have a **** you attitude if people boo or are critical, while Matt seems to get really defensive and take it personally?

11 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

And frankly, when has a in-season change of position or head coach change resulted in dramatic change? 

You mean like 2016 when the club decided to move on from Drew Willy and bring in Matt Nichols??   How many people credited him with the turnaround, and not Harris, who truly had the much larger impact.

He's passed his expiry date over a year ago as far as I'm concerned.  This erratic play has been going on since September 2017.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

You mean like 2016 when the club decided to move on from Drew Willy and bring in Matt Nichols??   How many people credited him with the turnaround, and not Harris, who truly had the much larger impact.

He's passed his expiry date over a year ago as far as I'm concerned.  This erratic play has been going on since September 2017.

I was talking about coaches...

5 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Stuck with him until the off season at the earliest, I'm afraid. By then we won't care any more. The ones preaching stability will be happy, those of us that want change will be over our anger and will no longer be invested emotionally, and the ones that never believed in the first place will be laughing at all of us. O'Shea will still be smirking. Life goes on. 30 and counting.

And Osh says even though we didn't win the guys hung out and became more of a team. 

Y'know, with this kind of leadership I don't see how we can fail. Guys are excited and the team is closer. If you can be like that after losing to the worst team in the league, hell, nothing is going to rattle you. 

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

And Osh says even though we didn't win the guys hung out and became more of a team. 

Y'know, with this kind of leadership I don't see how we can fail. Guys are excited and the team is closer. If you can be like that after losing to the worst team in the league, hell, nothing is going to rattle you. 

World class recreational substances will produce a similar effect.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

What do you want them to say though really? 

22 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So we've really looked at his physical gifts but is one of Nichols issues that he's not as mentally strong as other QBs. BLM or MR seem extremely confident and inclined to have a **** you attitude if people boo or are critical, while Matt seems to get really defensive and take it personally?

Nah. I think Nichols biggest problem is his vision. He doesn't "see the field" as some of the great QBs like BLM, Calvillo, and Clements did.  It's weird to say it but having Andrew Harris has been both a blessing and a curse for Nichols. A blessing because he's such a great check-down guy, but a curse in the sense that Nichols has never really learned to find his receivers as much as he should - he relies on Harris to be there for him.

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

What do you want them to say though really? 

How about talking about offense, defense, and special teams and where the breakdowns were and how it is going to be addressed. How about taking some responsibility for the poor performance. As it is they seem disconnected from having any accountability whatsoever and just seem to be covering each other's asses. Good performance or bad, after six years you'd think there'd be some kind of accountability to the fans. I want him to tell me what the hell is going on with his team.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Team bonding is important. Sometimes a team that's close can find a way to win. Just look at that mess in BC.  That's no team.It's a bunch of individuals collecting paycheques.  They sure play like it. So, I get O'Shea's point.

Was MOS bonding with players or was he off visiting all his Ontario family friends and connections ?... I wonder if southern Ontario is just too much of a distraction for him

Failing to challenge that egregious spot on third down was a blunder in my opinion. MOS doesn't seem to understand the concept of momentum and has no clue how to manipulate it as a head coach. Once Toronto took it there was little push back from the Bombers mostly thanks to MN's arm and Lapo's play calling. At the end of the day it's MOS's team and he gets to wear the mess.

I watched the game again last night and a couple of questions popped into my head....as empty as it might be. Then reading this thread and the last couple of comments confirmed I think what I was thinking. Lapo calls and develops a game plan NOT TO LOSE instead of WINNING. His play calling when the team is up in the 4th quarter is so conservative it leads to 2 and outs consistently giving the bull over to the opposition and putting the D on the field far too long. In addition it doesn’t create or take away momentum which at that juncture is huge.

Secondly the comments regarding Nichols and his lack of vision sure stand out when watching the game the second time. He has come to rely on Harris not just as a last resort but as his secondary receiver. Neither of these are good for success.

Thirdly it seems to me that his arm strength is not anywhere close to the Toronto QB. He’s on the run or going down and can gun the ball 10 yards or more with apparent ease. Nichols on the other hand can barely get it to the sidelines and it seems to take a long time to get there. Combine the three and as it has been said before we will get a winning record and bow out in the first round.

i find it interesting that a guy like Harris QB that is can come into an different organization and throw for over 300 yds consistently, a guy like the Toronto QB can throw for over 300 often and the same can be said for many in the league yet Nichols has trouble getting close to 300 being in the same system for what 5 years now? Is it home or Lapo or perhaps a combination of both.

That game and the Hamilton game cemented my thoughts that it's time for new coordinators. The patented Ritchie Hall defense can't close out a game and the Lapo "don't **** up let the D win it for us" offense doesn't work with it either. Both are loser coordinators who need to do better because they are both great at sucking momentum from this team with the passive play calling. 

11 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Was MOS bonding with players or was he off visiting all his Ontario family friends and connections ?... I wonder if southern Ontario is just too much of a distraction for him

I don't think the guy was sightseeing or going to family BBQ's. Like you actually think that?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That game and the Hamilton game cemented my thoughts that it's time for new coordinators. The patented Ritchie Hall defense can't close out a game and the Lapo "don't **** up let the D win it for us" offense doesn't work with it either. Both are loser coordinators who need to do better because they are both great at sucking momentum from this team with the passive play calling. 

Hall has one problem and that's scheming and calling blitzes.  Most of them are predictable and shown pre-snap which basically renders them useless.  He loves to blitz on passing downs and that usually entails blitzing 2 out of WIL/MLB/S which means the D has a level of pass rushers and a deep level of DB's on top of all routes but not attacking slants and crossers.  That scheme is getting chewed up by YAC and giving up way too many 2nd down conversions the last two weeks.

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think the guy was sightseeing or going to family BBQ's. Like you actually think that?

Probably not sight seeing as he has lived there in the past.  But  Yeh.... I would totally think he was doing some visiting with his Ontario friends...

Can't help but notice the absence of some members in this thread over the last 2 and a half weeks... 

The cat got your tongue USABomberfan?  I've been awaiting your insulting and demeaning commentary on how everyone is wrong... And Rod Black, no snide, witty comments to support your buddy?  Lol, imagine that...

at least SpeedFlex27  is big enough to come back and take the heat... One can at least respect that....

18 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Can't help but notice the absence of some members in this thread over the last 2 and a half weeks... 

The cat got your tongue USABomberfan?  I've been awaiting your insulting and demeaning commentary on how everyone is wrong... And Rod Black, no snide, witty comments to support your buddy?  Lol, imagine that...

at least SpeedFlex27  is big enough to come back and take the heat... One can at least respect that....

Probably on summer vacation.