Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

11 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Unfortunately, he lacks the warmth and depth.

Not only that but one slip of the tongue and you're in deep **** 

to get this back on track.... it's interesting that much of the talk around Streveler's lack of experience as the big reason for not throwing him into a game, yet, in Calgary & Saskatchewan, you have 2 very green QBs who are learning on the fly, and doing quite well at it.   Just saying.

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

to get this back on track.... it's interesting that much of the talk around Streveler's lack of experience as the big reason for not throwing him into a game, yet, in Calgary & Saskatchewan, you have 2 very green QBs who are learning on the fly, and doing quite well at it.   Just saying.

you can add Ham. to that list as well.....the replacement there beat us.... He did have a little help from the game we played however...BUT he didn't cave  under pressure that's for sure

4 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Good point. Fajardo threw for 430 yards against the Argos. What can we expect from the veteran QB Matt Nichols tonight?

Nichols had 27 yards passing in the second half against the worst team in the CFL.  Easily the worst performance by an opposing QB against Toronto this season.  Bethel-Thompson had over twice as many yards passing.  Think about that for a minute.

I firmly believe that if Nichols had average talent around him he would be putting up Drew Willy like numbers.  Heck, with above average talent he put up Drew Willy like numbers today!

Nichols beginning to look like the worst qb. in he league right about now....and that's saying something considering there are a lot of back-ups chalking up wins lately...while Nichols goes into a funk...Doesn't look good and if this keeps up we'll have a heckuva time  staying with the top teams in the west

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not much

What amazes me most is how O'Shea can just do nothing when Nichols struggles. Someone else mentioned that any QB can hand off to Harris so why would you do nothing about Nichols? Just dont get it. 

Also, how does O'Shea not challenge the spot on that 3rd down gamble? That was atrocious. 

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Nichols beginning to look like the worst qb. in he league right about now....and that's saying something considering there are a lot of back-ups chalking up wins lately...while Nichols goes into a funk...Doesn't look good and if this keeps up we'll have a heckuva time  staying with the top teams in the west

Its not a funk. 170 ish to is pretty close to normal now. 

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

What amazes me most is how O'Shea can just do nothing when Nichols struggles. Someone else mentioned that any QB can hand off to Harris so why would you do nothing about Nichols? Just dont get it. 

Also, how does O'Shea not challenge the spot on that 3rd down gamble? That was atrocious. 

How did they get that spot soooooooo wrong?

I'm not going to make a big deal about yards but I am frustrated that Nichols caves when the pressure is on and we need to make a few first down to extend drives.  Nichols kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins: a decent QB but will only take you so far.  He has to lead the team to wins in close situations to have my confidence restored in him.

On the cjob pre game show I listened to them talk about how Buck Pierce was on the field watching Nichols closely in the warm ups....and he never does that so they were wondering why he was watching him so close. 

I wonder if he was watching his mechanics for dropping back before a throw,  I wonder if his knee injury has affected his longer throws ?...... he definitly doesn't throw very far very much....or very well.  For awhile now.