Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I'm not sure I'd call that pass "perfect". Catchable, maybe...but certainly not perfect.

Bit of hyperbole, yes, but he needed to get it over the coverage and over Demski's shoulder, which he did. It doesn't get much better.

No, if it was even a remotely well thrown ball, Demski would not have had to basically stop and lay backwards in order to even have a shot at it. He had a step on the coverage and the ball should have hit him in stride. I'm not saying he shouldn't have caught it, cause he had a shot. But I don't consider that ball to be well thrown at all.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

No, if it was even a remotely well thrown ball, Demski would not have had to basically stop and lay backwards in order to even have a shot at it. He had a step on the coverage and the ball should have hit him in stride. I'm not saying he shouldn't have caught it, cause he had a shot. But I don't consider that ball to be well thrown at all.

Sure thing Robin Hood, he hit a moving target in the shoulder at 30 yards, I'd say that's pretty close.

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sure thing Robin Hood, he hit a moving target in the shoulder at 30 yards, I'd say that's pretty close.

My point is, he only hit his shoulder because Demski essentially laid down on his back. The ball was very much under thrown. 

It's not unreasonable to suggest that Nichols didn't have a great game .. no matter how you slice it, he wasn't particularly sharp and he made a number of terrible throws.  This is what you get with him though .. when he's on he's on, he takes advantage of those instances when a receiver has a step .. when he's not .. he's most definitely not.  It is what it is.

Is it all on him?  No. 

The offensive line got out played; Hardrick and Speller both really struggled. Nichols never really looked comfortable back there.  The defense got hit in the mouth early and never really responded.  Sure they shut down Evans .. but how many reps did he get in the lead up to the game?  The defense did what it had to when he came in but they weren't world beaters.

The TiCat game was a collective shitting of the bed from all three phases of this team .. a game I will do my best to forget.

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

The offensive line got out played; Hardrick and Speller both really struggled. Nichols never really looked comfortable.

The TiCat game was a collective shitting of the bed from all three phases of this team .. 

Yup. Hopefully the Bombers treat it like a blip, correct the mistakes, and move on!

26 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

My point is, he only hit his shoulder because Demski essentially laid down on his back. The ball was very much under thrown. 

What you mean the receiver did what he was supposed to do and adjusted to the ball? No quarterback puts the ball exactly perfectly on a deep attempt. The receiver has the job of making sure they are in a position to catch the ball and make that catch. Every qb everywhere needs help from his receivers and that includes making difficult contested catches. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What you mean the receiver did what he was supposed to do and adjusted to the ball? No quarterback puts the ball exactly perfectly on a deep attempt. The receiver has the job of making sure they are in a position to catch the ball and make that catch. Every qb everywhere needs help from his receivers and that includes making difficult contested catches. 

Yes the reciever did what he was supposed to do. I'm not arguing that. People are saying that was a well thrown ball, I dont think it was. I'd be willing to bet that Nichols doesnt either.

I'm not saying every ball needs to be perfect. I'm not saying Nichols sucks because of that ball. I'm not saying demski should have done more. Im only saying, that ball was under thrown, hence not a well thrown ball. People can keep arguing but the proof is in the pudding.

For an example of what I think a well thrown, or even perfectly thrown ball is....see Demskis two other deep TD passes from earlier this year.

Edited by Bigblue204

I backed that play up right after it happened, and yeah, it appeared Demski did have to let up a little and let it get there.... had it been thrown 5 yards further, the adjustment is one stride harder and he's gone!  Nitpicking for sure, as that was probably one of his best throws all night!  But... another long ball missed, which is a criticism of him!

I also couldn't believe in his post game interview he says "that kind of pass is a 1 in 1000".  Come on.... he routinely overthrows receivers wide out of bounds!  Don't act like it never happens that balls sail on him!

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Threw 3 picks. Wasn't seeing the field properly. Was taking big chances like throwing into double coverage. Played his worst game since last years Banjo bowl.

I don't hate Nichols but even you have to admit that was his worst game of the season. If you don't it's your bias showing, not mine.

Yah. I'd have pulled him after the 3rd pick because he wasn't playing well. The perfect record and MOP don't trump the fact that he wasn't playing well in the game.

One of the picks that ended up being double coverage had 2 receivers running basically side-by-side.  I would hazard to guess that one of them was supposed to pull up on a shorter route which would have taken the 2nd defender out of the play.  I think that one was on the receiver who wasn't supposed to be there (I think it was Lucky on the outside who's defender jumped in and took the ball from the intended receiver).

5 minutes ago, Sard said:

One of the picks that ended up being double coverage had 2 receivers running basically side-by-side.  I would hazard to guess that one of them was supposed to pull up on a shorter route which would have taken the 2nd defender out of the play.  I think that one was on the receiver who wasn't supposed to be there (I think it was Lucky on the outside who's defender jumped in and took the ball from the intended receiver).

Agreed, when I saw them in tandem, I was all: "oh ****, someone is going to get chewed out during film breakdown..."

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Said literally no athlete ever in the history of sports.

P:  Hey Coach, I can't go tonight.
C.  You hurt?
P.  Naw, but I am just not feeling it.
C.  Feeling what?
P.  I just don't have it tonight
C. Gosh, is there anything I can do?
P.  Just make sure I don't lose my position, next week
C.  Sure thing, but how does it look for next week.
P.  Well, it's kinda a day by day thing
C.  Ok, just let me know when you come around.
P.  Sort of worried how my teammates will take it
C.  No worries, I'll explain it to them, pregame,
P.  I don't think I should hang around the sideline
C.  No, we need your moral support, just take my towel and wave it.

5 minutes ago, Sard said:

At the same time, if two wrs are right beside each other with 2 dbs in the area and the ball leaves your hand on a deep ball even if the under wr breaks off the db is going to track the ball. Poor execution across the board. 

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

3 minutes ago, do or die said:

P:  Hey Coach, I can't go tonight.
C.  You hurt?
P.  Naw, but I am just not feeling it.
C.  Feeling what?
P.  I just don't have it tonight
C. Gosh, is there anything I can do?
P.  Just make sure I don't lose my position, next week
C.  Sure thing, but how does it look for next week.
P.  Well, it's kinda a day by day thing
C.  Ok, just let me know when you come around.
P.  Sort of worried how my teammates will take it
C.  No worries, I'll explain it to them, pregame,
P.  I don't think I should hang around the sideline
C.  No, we need your moral support, just take my towel and wave it.

Its happened at times with pitchers. No mas. 

Edited by wbbfan

7 minutes ago, Sard said:

It was a combination of an overthrow and bad route running.  Lucky and Lawler were way too close together.  Rolle stopped running with Lucky to help cover Lawler who had his guy beat.  The ball was overthrown though and Rolle had another easy pick.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Actually, when I was living in Saskatchewan in the later 70's and early 80's and Ron Lancaster was coaching the Riders, he had quarterback problems. During one game, his anointed starter was doing very poorly, so about halfway through the third quarter, Lancaster turned to the backup QB and told him to start warming up because he was going in next possession. The guy was feckless enough to say that he didn't feel ready to go in. Lancaster turned several shades of purple and told the guy to get off the sidelines, clean out his locker and be gone before the game was over or he would be killed.

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Actually, when I was living in Saskatchewan in the later 70's and early 80's and Ron Lancaster was coaching the Riders, he had quarterback problems. During one game, his anointed starter was doing very poorly, so about halfway through the third quarter, Lancaster turned to the backup QB and told him to start warming up because he was going in next possession. The guy was feckless enough to say that he didn't feel ready to go in. Lancaster turned several shades of purple and told the guy to get off the sidelines, clean out his locker and be gone before the game was over or he would be killed.

🤣

Ron was such a nice guy. Cal would have just had him killed right there on the sidelines.