Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

So you know you’re wrong but you’re arguing it anyway. 😄

If I thought I was wrong, I wouldn't have said it. Look, I've played enough sports to know that some days, for whatever reason, you just don't have it. I don't understand why a coach wouldn't see that and give the other guy a shot. I know the argument is loyalty, I just don't buy it. 

39 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Okay...somebody get this straight for me once and for all......  is it the QB who creates the wins and losses...or is it the team that does that ?

This is no a binary answer. If the quarterback is playing as poorly as Nichols did Friday, he can singlehandedly throw the game away as happened last Labour Day. To win, a quarterback does not have to be stellar in execution but he is the spark plug of the team. He has to be at least a ..here it comes...a game manager. Nichols was neither stellar nor average against the 'Cats.

On 2019-07-27 at 7:51 PM, J5V said:

If I thought I was wrong, I wouldn't have said it. Look, I've played enough sports to know that some days, for whatever reason, you just don't have it. I don't understand why a coach wouldn't see that and give the other guy a shot. I know the argument is loyalty, I just don't buy it. 

You’ve played at a professional level? Because playing in beer leagues isn’t the same. 

On 2019-07-28 at 9:15 AM, NorthernSkunk said:

Okay...somebody get this straight for me once and for all......  is it the QB who creates the wins and losses...or is it the team that does that ?

You seem to use this reasoning to help your self interest. So when we’re winning it’s the team and when we’re losing it’s nichols fault? 

26 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

You’ve played at a professional level? Because playing in beer leagues isn’t the same. 

Only ex-pros are entitled to an opinion? How many of us would be left to comment? C'mon, if you've played any sport competitively you know that some days you just don't have it. That's the day you swallow your pride for the good of the team and you say, hey, I just don't have it today. Let Streveler see what he can do.

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

Only ex-pros are entitled to an opinion? How many of us would be left to comment? C'mon, if you've played any sport competitively you know that some days you just don't have it. That's the day you swallow your pride for the good of the team and you say, hey, I just don't have it today. Let Streveler see what he can do.

Are you trying to say Nichols should've asked to be benched? If so, that's a bit odd. No self-respecting athlete is going to ask to be replaced. And besides, it's the head coach who would decide to make the change, not the player.

For whatever reason, the offense just didn't have it on Friday night. The QB, the O-line, some receivers (and one getting injured)... even Harris looked off. I'd also argue LaPolice's gameplan wasn't the right one for the opponent.

And if history is any indication, I highly doubt a QB change would've been the answer.

21 minutes ago, J5V said:

So... you've done this?

I know I never have... and I am nowhere near the level of the cutthroat business of Pro-sports...

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Are you trying to say Nichols should've asked to be benched? If so, that's a bit odd. No self-respecting athlete is going to ask to be replaced. And besides, it's the head coach who would decide to make the change, not the player.

For whatever reason, the offense just didn't have it on Friday night. The QB, the O-line, some receivers (and one getting injured)... even Harris looked off. I'd also argue LaPolice's gameplan wasn't the right one for the opponent.

And if history is any indication, I highly doubt a QB change would've been the answer.

I actually agree with all your points and egos being what they are its the coach's decision. Nichols did not have it. I would have liked to see a change. Might have worked but we will never know.

In 20/20 hindsight I guess it would have made Nichols look bad to yank him playing against a backup QB. 

15 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So... you've done this?

I know I never have... and I am nowhere near the level of the cutthroat business of Pro-sports...

Yes I have. I knew during warmups that I didn't have it but your point is well taken, it wasn't pro sports. 

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I never see the old football's posts normally, but thanks everyone for repeated quoting one of the dumbest arguments ever suggested for a professional athlete to say "Gee coach I suck, I'm just going to take a seat on the bench over there.  Good luck with the game"   

Yup, same here. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I actually agree with all your points and egos being what they are its the coach's decision. Nichols did not have it. I would have liked to see a change. Might have worked but we will never know.

In 20/20 hindsight I guess it would have made Nichols look bad to yank him playing against a backup QB. 

Nichols was playing against a solid Defence and the wind. He was the only qb on the field. 

Our Defence played very well against a back up qb. The two are related, however not in the sense that it was QB vs QB. I've never understood that comparison.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Nichols was playing against a solid Defence and the wind. He was the only qb on the field. 

Our Defence played very well against a back up qb. The two are related, however not in the sense that it was QB vs QB. I've never understood that comparison.

Two QBs were playing against two good defenses. You would expect the seasoned veteran QB to outperform the backup from the other team.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt a pro athlete ever pulls himself for not having it. That's the coaches job.

Of course, but he can tell the coach he is playing like crap and just isn't feeling it today. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So here is where professional athletes are different than Joe blow athlete... they do this for a living, part of that pay cheque comes from the ability to overcome adversity and overcome poor play. It doesn't happen every time, but that is what they get paid to do. 

Past evidence shows that when Nichols gets rattled and throws a couple of interceptions early on he has difficulty getting back on track.  Even going back to 2017 when BC and Calgary stole a few games from the Bombers, Nichols was not able to adequately respond to the challenge posed by second half comebacks.  This is something he definitely has to learn to overcome when facing stronger teams, if they expect to challenge for the G.C..