Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

The biggest concern I have moving forward is can Nichols win the big game? Its fine and dandy to light up garbage teams in week 5 but when has he performed the same way in big games? Banjo bowl meltdown, zero playoff wins other than a performance to forget in barely eeking out the win in sask last year against a backup QB, and now last nights first place showdown shitshow. Im really starting to wonder if he has the mental toughness to block out all the distractions and just perform. This to me is a huge concern.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

25 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

The biggest concern I have moving forward is can Nichols win the big game? Its fine and dandy to light up garbage teams in week 5 but when has he performed the same way in big games? Banjo bowl meltdown, zero playoff wins other than a performance to forget in barely eeking out the win in sask last year against a backup QB, and now last nights first place showdown shitshow. Im really starting to wonder if he has the mental toughness to block out all the distractions and just perform. This to me is a huge concern.

To be fair (and I’m not a big Nichols guy) he hasn’t really been the reason we’ve lost in playoff games. He’s performed fairly well in those losses.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

To be fair (and I’m not a big Nichols guy) he hasn’t really been the reason we’ve lost in playoff games. He’s performed fairly well in those losses.

I can think of the BC game a few years ago, yes he was good, but the great ones find a way to win right?

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

"Can he win the big game?" Is a bullshit question this time of year. 1...its still way to far away for there to be a big game. 2. Hes won big games before, everyone looks at the losses, but ignores the wins. He won in Ssk 3 ******* times, hes won banjo bowls, he has won in the playoffs. Important regular season games with playoffs on the line. Lol

Its ******* ridiculous to question his ability. "The great ones find a way" look at his record...what does it show? That he has won far more than he's lost.

All these questions just sound like "when will he prove to me personally that he will win a grey cup in week 4 of a regular season?"

What do you people want? He cant win a grey cup, until it's time to play in the grey cup. Right now, it's about building to GET THERE. As of right now, they're doing a hell of job.

Even last night, he threw some bad passes then came back and responded with a TD pass. Didnt turn out well, but that's sports. Go play some and you'll see.

Edited by Bigblue204

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Harris had 8 runs.. 6 yard average. It didnt look that way cuz we only ran 12 times all game. Our o known for being unpredictable was predictable tonight. 49 pass attempts vs 12 runs. 

That's what gets me.... Hamilton bad vs th run and Winnipeg a great running team... so of course lapo comes out throwing. He is the God damned dumbest smart coach out there.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

"Can he win the big game?" Is a bullshit question this time of year. 1...its still way to far away for there to be a big game. 2. Hes won big games before, everyone looks at the losses, but ignores the wins. He won in Ssk 3 ******* times, hes won banjo bowls, he has won in the playoffs. Important regular season games with playoffs on the line. Lol

Its ******* ridiculous to question his ability. "The great ones find a way" look at his record...what does it show? That he has won far more than he's lost.

All these questions just sound like "when will he prove to me personally that he will win a grey cup in week 4 of a regular season?"

What do you people want? He cant win a grey cup, until it's time to play in the grey cup. Right now, it's about building to GET THERE. As of right now, they're doing a hell of job.

Even last night, he threw some bad passes then came back and responded with a TD pass. Didnt turn out well, but that's sports. Go play some and you'll see.

I don't think its a bullshit question at all. He has a history of playing poorly in "big" hyped up games. I didn't question his ability which he clearly has, im questioning his mental toughness when all eyes are on him. Its almost like he gets too amped up in big games and is sailing balls all over the field while trying to force things which leads to poor decisions. Until he can win the big games while playing at his highest level there will and should be questions.

And please, last night he was junk, even he admitted it and he had one good drive. Don't **** in my hand and tell me its ice cream. After his one TD drive he went back to happy feet check down Matt. Even when we needed to drive the field with under a minute left he was double clutching on longer throws opting to complete 6 yard passes...Like really? Your not going to 6 yard pass your way down the field from our 15 with 45 seconds left. At some point you need to take a shot. You're scared to throw a pick?? The game is over if you don't try dude, you've gotta take a shot at some point.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

50 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I thought matt was coming into this season in the best shape yet.... we were told he was even more mobile after working on that in the off season..... he was NOT mobile last night.  He had zero escapabilty.

Game 1 he was leaving the pocket and throwing on the run constantly. His two TD passes were a direct result of that. Now that has almost disappeared. Its back to happy feet when first read isn't there and he is feeling pressure. His pocket awareness seems to have gotten worse as the season goes on.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Game 1 he was leaving the pocket and throwing on the run constantly. His two TD passes were a direct result of that. Now that has almost disappeared. Its back to happy feet when first read isn't there and he is feeling pressure. His pocket awareness seems to have gotten worse as the season goes on.

His pocket awareness has been great the last couple games - then it was still there in the first quarter but he just floated all of his passes

he needs to destroy Toronto plain and simple - don’t like this matty ice on game and matty mouse the next

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

His pocket awareness has been great the last couple games - then it was still there in the first quarter but he just floated all of his passes

he needs to destroy Toronto plain and simple - don’t like this matty ice on game and matty mouse the next

Fair, more his pocket escapability I should say

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Fair, more his pocket escapability I should say

The two big games - edm and ham - Lapp didn’t not call a lot of playaction or screens

the only draw play was a predictable streveler package

nothing matters until labour day but that was a sloppy game for the offence

it Is possible that walker and peterman were just not commanding the respect that Adams and woli do...  not a total excuse but I’m sure it allowed ham to load the box

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The two big games - edm and ham - Lapp didn’t not call a lot of playaction or screens

it Is possible that walker and peterman were just not commanding the respect that Adams and woli do...  not a total excuse but I’m sure it allowed ham to load the box

Hamilton also effectively eliminated the threat of Lucky with good positional play, there were no unguarded corners for him to turn on sweeps or returns, they were always waiting for him.

34 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Nichols completed the first shovel pass An lucky got a first down,  and if Nichols didn't have the overthrows which would likely have been first downs...   Then would lapo not be a hero this morning ?

If the sky was made of concrete and the sidewalk was clouds

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The fact the bombers refused to run the ball would play a role also

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hamilton also effectively eliminated the threat of Lucky with good positional play, there were no unguarded corners for him to turn on sweeps or returns, they were always waiting for him.

On the last Drive, Lucky was running some lazy routes. You could see immediately that he was not going deep. A few things play in to that, but at the same time, you still gotta run hard in that kind of situation. Was very disappointing. 

41 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I don't think its a bullshit question at all. He has a history of playing poorly in "big" hyped up games. I didn't question his ability which he clearly has, im questioning his mental toughness when all eyes are on him. Its almost like he gets too amped up in big games and is sailing balls all over the field while trying to force things which leads to poor decisions. Until he can win the big games while playing at his highest level there will and should be questions.

And please, last night he was junk, even he admitted it and he had one good drive. Don't **** in my hand and tell me its ice cream. After his one TD drive he went back to happy feet check down Matt. Even when we needed to drive the field with under a minute left he was double clutching on longer throws opting to complete 6 yard passes...Like really? Your not going to 6 yard pass your way down the field from our 15 with 45 seconds left. At some point you need to take a shot. You're scared to throw a pick?? The game is over if you don't try dude, you've gotta take a shot at some point.

We will just have to agree to disagree about the big game stuff.

He absolutely played terrible last night, I'm not questioning that. My point about the TD drive was just that he came out and responded,  which is a great sign. The game didnt turn around but at the very least he was still firing the ball.

The last drive, a few things caused the crap results. Injuries being one. Throwing into the wind. And lack of protection. I was saying he needed to start forcing the ball there, but that's not the kind of player he is, so it didnt surprise me. He did what he needed to, to keep the drive alive, but it was too little too late. Throwing the ball deep into coverage could have resulted in another int ending the game, so its damned if you do damned lf you dont. Too bad the game ended on a sack, cause we can only speculate what that call would have been.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

On the last Drive, Lucky was running some lazy routes. You could see immediately that he was not going deep. A few things play in to that, but at the same time, you still gotta run hard in that kind of situation. Was very disappointing. 

I don't think Lucky is a full time receiver yet, better to rotate him in for certain formations for Lawler or Matthews and let him focus on returns. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

First game this year I have seen so many bomber receivers within 5 yards of one another. Doesn’t take much to understand someone is running the wrong routes OR the play design is crazy! With that said Nichols was not good...why....only he can tell us. In any event if he plays like this in “big” games we will get to the playoffs and exit prior to western final. I don’t put all the blame on Nichols but instead distribute it to a Lapo and Nichols. Poor game plan and poor execution.