Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

Nichols isnt flashy.. doesnt put up huge numbers yardage wise, but he is smart and cerebral and is like a killer laying in wait.. tiu screw up and ge seems to have the ability to recognize it immediately and exploit it.

He plays within himself and the gameplan and doesnt force things and make critical game and momentum altering errors...and that's all he needs to keep doing...the results speak for themselves

Ppl can talk crap about Matt but.. After last night's live mic game, dude is a true calm leader and that can never be questioned. 

I still think theres this misunderstanding here at times tho. 

I think we can all admit we would prefer games where our O is on the field the majority of the game. 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ppl can talk crap about Matt but.. After last night's live mic game, dude is a true calm leader and that can never be questioned. 

I still think theres this misunderstanding here at times tho. 

I think we can all admit we would prefer games where our O is on the field the majority of the game. 

Only game they have not has been  the Edmonton game. 

Detractors: 'nichols can't throw a deep ball'

Nichols *throws tons of deep balls for tds*

Detractors: 'well he can't throw intermediate and these deep ball TDs don't help us with time of possession and if you take away the long TDs, he's actually thrown for less yarda'

🙄

Edited by Fraser

We all (at least most of us) knew that Nichols was a good quarterback, but there still was the question whether he was good enough to help the team to the Grey Cup. I posit that the question has been answered now. A good quarterback by himself rarely carries the team, and Mike Reilly with the Lions is living proof of that. Nichols was criticized for not slinging the long ball and getting conservative (no political commentary here) late in the game. As has been posted here already, this was the most dominant performance by the Bombers in a very long time and likely the game of Nichols' pro career. Ottawa is ahead of three other CFL teams but they didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Big Blue.

Its been the perfect scenario for Nichols this year and full marks to him. He's a proven winner when he's got a solid team around him and he doesn't have to force things. He can let the game come to him. He'll never be Tom Brady and rally his team down 25 at the half, throwing for 450 yards to steal victory from the jaws of defeat, but that's ok. Im convinced this team can win it all with him at the helm and that's all that matters.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

44 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Its been the perfect scenario for Nichols this year and full marks to him. He's a proven winner when he's got a solid team around him and he doesn't have to force things. He can let the game come to him. He'll never be Tom Brady and rally his team down 25 at the half, throwing for 450 yards to steal victory from the jaws of defeat, but that's ok. Im convinced this team can win it all with him at the helm and that's all that matters.

Agreed. The last 2 Grey Cups that we won we had Tom Burgess & Sean Salisbury as our QB's - yeah we had A LOT of talent around them.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

He'll never be Tom Brady and rally his team down 25 at the half, throwing for 450 yards to steal victory from the jaws of defeat, but that's ok. Im convinced this team can win it all with him at the helm and that's all that matters.

I mean we saw him win games from behind a couple years ago when the defense was the shits... I think this is a very unfair comment. The way he is slinging the ball this season I'd have a lot of faith in Nichols being able to lead the come back if circumstances were such that they needed it. 

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I mean we saw him win games from behind a couple years ago when the defense was the shits... I think this is a very unfair comment. The way he is slinging the ball this season I'd have a lot of faith in Nichols being able to lead the come back if circumstances were such that they needed it. 

I don't think its unfair at all. He isnt a gun slinger. He is comfortable when the game is close and he doesn't have to force the ball downfield. He is much more effective in those types of games as opposed to when the clock is ticking and the team is down big. That's not his game and that is when he is turnover prone. This team is perfectly suited for his skill set. Im sure he could rally a team down multiple scores but historically that's when bad Matt makes an appearance.

21 hours ago, Goalie said:

All i was wanting from the O was consistency and to stay on the field more.. About 37 minutes time of possession... Great job by Nichols. 

Just saying but even the TSN panel, who aren't the smartest group at the best of times gave Lapo more credit than Nichols last night. And coming from me, who has been a bit critical of the O's consistency this season, looked at the TV and said are you ******* kidding me. 

Nichols was on fire last night. Boring slow start but outstanding finish. 19 in a row says it all about last night's game. 37 minutes TOP is what I've been looking for. Ppl get all uppity on here cuz some of us wanted to see a dominating performance by the O. We got that last night. In my opinion, last week is irrelevant now, its in the past, gone, done, over...  People gonna dwell tho cuz some have a hard time accepting other peoples opinions on here and gonna go on and on and on and refuse to actually move on. Just like last night is now irrelevant for next weeks game. 

Lets hope Matty and the O can keep it going. Cuz the D is special

Sorry @USABomberfan you nor anyone elses opinions arent the final say. I can accept that you have a differing opinion, im not sure why u cant accept other peoples opinions tho. 

If your only passable standard of consistency and acceptance for Nichols and this offence is 37 minutes time of possession every game, then you have set an impossible bar to meet, and your criticisms lose credibility with such a skewed view of reality 

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

Who do you consider a "good" team this year? Hamilton and Calgary have been pretty inconsistent...that leaves Edmonton, and they just lost.

Bombers, Ticats, Eskimos, Stamps (Even without BLM), maybe and surprisingly Montreal.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Also the only game we've played against a good team.

Thats the game where Bighill was playing injured and being used as a hurlbacker ...  and Andrew Harris looked like he was hungover...  

Yet we were up by 2 TDs heading into the 4thQ...

I'll take it