Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

“It’s guys making tough catches, good blocking up front when I’m not throwing all the time under duress… so things like that, any individual thing, is a full offensive stat to me,” said Nichols of the record. - Ed Tait

Nichols completed 19 consecutive passes in the victory to eclipse the Bomber record of 16 set in 1981 by Dieter Brock. He was in machine mode.

He just made Trevor Harris look over his shoulder.

And Matt’s right. The O-Line did its job once again. Yes, those new guys. Couture, Gray, Speller, And Desjarlais. Bryant and Hardrick look to be all-stars already. And they’ll only get better.

By the way, that streak carries over into next week’s game in Hamilton.

23 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

“It’s guys making tough catches, good blocking up front when I’m not throwing all the time under duress… so things like that, any individual thing, is a full offensive stat to me,” said Nichols of the record. - Ed Tait

Nichols completed 19 consecutive passes in the victory to eclipse the Bomber record of 16 set in 1981 by Dieter Brock. He was in machine mode.

He just made Trevor Harris look over his shoulder.

And Matt’s right. The O-Line did its job once again. Yes, those new guys. Couture, Gray, Speller, And Desjarlais. Bryant and Hardrick look to be all-stars already. And they’ll only get better.

By the way, that streak carries over into next week’s game in Hamilton.

Funny, Nichols asked Irving if the streak carried over and Irving said no, he didn't think so... 

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Funny, Nichols asked Irving if the streak carried over and Irving said no, he didn't think so... 

Thats what he said yup. In the same segment Irving also commented on another MBB topic, factors that affect attendance. Play of the team, opponent and weather. 

Edited by Rod Black

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Nichols is one of the greatest Bomber QBs of all time

I sense Nichols getting  a bit too high and too happy, he's got to keep  an even keel and stay away from the roller-coaster ride he fell off last year.  As Harris says "don't get high on your own juice".  Hopefully memories of last year's boo-parade ring in Nichols ears nightly as a reminder of  how quickly it can all fall apart.   A well timed but meaningless loss may be in order to help keep the team grounded going into L-Day for an enormous butt kicking of the mighty useless Riders. 

About that consecutive completion streak. Couldn’t find anything CFL rule wise, but

Ed Tait seems to think so...

“Worth noting here is the Canadian Football League record for consecutive completions is 23, set by Hamilton’s Jeremiah Masoli in a game against Edmonton in 2016. Only three players in league history – including Jason Maas (22) and Ricky Ray (20) and both of the Eskimos at the time – have completed more than the 19 by Nichols, which he will carry into next week’s game in Hamilton”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/07/20/game-recap-ott-1-wpg-31/?utm_source=dlvr.it

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

I always said I'd be happy to be proven wrong. So far, he's been great. Hope it continues all year. 

The ultimate fan... Take the negative stance to start, so then if you're right you can say I TOLD YOU SO, and if you're wrong, you can cheer with everyone else. It's a real ballsy take on your part... 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The ultimate fan... Take the negative stance to start, so then if you're right you can say I TOLD YOU SO, and if you're wrong, you can cheer with everyone else. It's a real ballsy take on your part... 

I don't love to say I told you so. I want the team to succeed. I didn't think they could win with Nichols based on his historic level of play. We still haven't won anything yet but like I said, I'm happy the team is where it is right now. What else am I supposed to say?

Edited by AKAChip

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm not sure that's really fair.

Without an ounce of hyperbole, there is a grassroots movement to enshrine Matt Nichols achievements in a bronze statue, to the inclusion of monuments depicting remarkable performances of Dieter Brock, Matt Dunigan, and Khari Jones. Pivots Pathway extends out and beyond entrance 2, all beneath the view of Our God, Our Saviour, the Gate of Glory belonging to Mr. Kenny Ploen. 

All i was wanting from the O was consistency and to stay on the field more.. About 37 minutes time of possession... Great job by Nichols. 

Just saying but even the TSN panel, who aren't the smartest group at the best of times gave Lapo more credit than Nichols last night. And coming from me, who has been a bit critical of the O's consistency this season, looked at the TV and said are you ******* kidding me. 

Nichols was on fire last night. Boring slow start but outstanding finish. 19 in a row says it all about last night's game. 37 minutes TOP is what I've been looking for. Ppl get all uppity on here cuz some of us wanted to see a dominating performance by the O. We got that last night. In my opinion, last week is irrelevant now, its in the past, gone, done, over...  People gonna dwell tho cuz some have a hard time accepting other peoples opinions on here and gonna go on and on and on and refuse to actually move on. Just like last night is now irrelevant for next weeks game. 

Lets hope Matty and the O can keep it going. Cuz the D is special

Sorry @USABomberfan you nor anyone elses opinions arent the final say. I can accept that you have a differing opinion, im not sure why u cant accept other peoples opinions tho. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

All i was wanting from the O was consistency and to stay on the field more.. About 37 minutes time of possession... Great job by Nichols. 

Just saying but even the TSN panel, who aren't the smartest group at the best of times gave Lapo more credit than Nichols last night. And coming from me, who has been a bit critical of the O's consistency this season, looked at the TV and said are you ******* kidding me. 

Nichols was on fire last night. Boring slow start but outstanding finish. 19 in a row says it all about last night's game. 37 minutes TOP is what I've been looking for. 

Bless you Goalie. I hope you have finally found peace.