Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

1. Ummm exactly how many times has that happened this season?  What are all these one handed diving catches you speak of?

2. For the record that was a joke I was cracking about Marshall Ferguson just happening with noticing the chart pulling up in the middle of the thread taking off after the Ottawa game.  No I don't think he's actually on this site ragging on Nichols, I was just ****ing around with that.

I don't care if Nichols is ranked number one or dead last on his accuracy chart.  My main beef with it is I don't like using limited amounts of passes to do it such as Streveler not throwing enough varieties of passes and only 8 to be exact to be graded number one.  If you think that's good enough, fine, but I don't.

There, does that clear up any of the assertions you been making?

1 handed catch - Adams at the 10. Diving catch Matthews only deep ball this year. Two of the deep balls that Nichols completed this year.

I didn't see it as a joke, but if you say it was, then I'll believe you.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh please, I've been bitching about lapos play calling since 2002. Guy is a smart offensive mind but he is horrendous at in game circumstances and adjustments and always has been.

I rest my case.

I know, that Paul Lapolice, he's never called a bad game or put together a bad game plan.  Oh no no, he never ever called bad plays in the WF or left Nichols and Harris hanging out to dry there, nope nope, that never happened.

Nope, nothing to see here on Lapolice folks, and why?  Because we, the Nichols detractors say so.  Yup, that sums it up.

QBs and running backs can be left out to dry ?..... if it gets to the point where that happens is any QB not allowed to improvise once he sees it happening again ?......

the wife just asked.... " wouldn't a good game manager be doing that ? " ......lol

Edited by NorthernSkunk

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

QBs and running backs can be left out to dry ?..... if it gets to the point where that happens is any QB not allowed to improvise once he sees it happening again ?......

the wife just asked.... " wouldn't a good game manager be doing that ? " ......lol

No one cares what your wife thinks. 

12 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Well sure, you could try dancing around the pocket and Johnny Manziel winging it up there where the WRs are running around with Stamp defenders all around them in the bland routes of Lapolice's playbook and hey yeah maybe they come down with it.  Of course the odds are only maybe 10:1 the defender does, so no not that bad, not that bad.  Take a gamble, you might get lucky.

Here's another idea.  Let's get a running QB out there to go running for first downs cuz you know what?  Yes, he'll outrun the Stamps defense for first downs.  I mean, don't let that Alex Singleton guy waiting for him out there scare you.  Nah, he might just only flatten your guy or steal his lunch money, but that ain't so bad is it?

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I rest my case.

So I am blaming everyone but Nichols when I say things I have been saying for many many years? How do you figure that warrants resting of a case? 

If Nichols is the main problem I'll call it, but Lapo is a bigger problem for the offense at this point in time. 

1 minute ago, USABomberfan said:

And Lapo's faulty game plan in which Nichols had to vacate the pocket and look around for non-existent WRs was explained over and over again.  But apparently the Nichols detractors just aren't going to hear it cuz no, that's not hanging him out to dry.

U can blame lapo.. Go 4 it. But hes not the guy throwing the ball. You dont have to like it or even accept it.. But bad throws is on the QB. 

33 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well sure, you could try dancing around the pocket and Johnny Manziel winging it up there where the WRs are running around with Stamp defenders all around them in the bland routes of Lapolice's playbook and hey yeah maybe they come down with it.  Of course the odds are only maybe 10:1 the defender does, so no not that bad, not that bad.  Take a gamble, you might get lucky.

Here's another idea.  Let's get a running QB out there to go running for first downs cuz you know what?  Yes, he'll outrun the Stamps defense for first downs.  I mean, don't let that Alex Singleton guy waiting for him out there scare you.  Nah, he might just only flatten your guy or steal his lunch money, but that ain't so bad is it?

I remember people saying last year that matt would have receivers open but never chose that option..... thought I seen it a few times as well.

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

U can blame lapo.. Go 4 it. But hes not the guy throwing the ball. You dont have to like it or even accept it.. But bad throws is on the QB. 

Yup, cuz his playbook certainly doesn't determine what routes the receivers run, how the RB is utilized, or whether or not the QB is rolled out or all the things that setup the throws and execution.

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I know, that Paul Lapolice, he's never called a bad game or put together a bad game plan.  Oh no no, he never ever called bad plays in the WF or left Nichols and Harris hanging out to dry there, nope nope, that never happened.

Nope, nothing to see here on Lapolice folks, and why?  Because we, the Nichols detractors say so.  Yup, that sums it up.

Page 27 and your becoming a little more assertive in your opinions. Maybe I just started noticing it more. Good for you dude! 

Edited by Rod Black

Well I mean, best way to say it is sure, you could just throw out the simple explanation that "bad throws is on the QB," but that doesn't get into the meat and potatoes of a play.  It doesn't address what formation and alignment the defense was running on that particular play and whether or not the OC's play call would have gotten a good matchup against it.  It doesn't address whether all the receivers ran the right routes or the RB picked up his block as he was supposed to.

Did Nichols miss any receivers on timing routes at all in that game, or miss when a receiver may have broken open on a particular side of the field?  I'm sure he did, and if so, yeah you can blame him for that.  But there were other plays im more than certain where he had to throw it away because the play calling was bad and the defense took away everything.  The Stamps had a D that could do that.

See, if you're going to say all bad plays were bad throws, let's see some meat and potatoes on that explanation.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Oh please, I've been bitching about lapos play calling since 2002. Guy is a smart offensive mind but he is horrendous at in game circumstances and adjustments and always has been.

I'm the same way, so thank you for reminding me I've spent my entire adult life dreading Paul Lapolice working for the bombers

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

... all balls that are caught are great Nichols plays. Low throws that are dug out by receivers, spectacular 1 handed catches or diving for overthrown balls are good Nichols plays. If someone actually tries to do QB accuracy and Nichols doesn't come out that good, suggest they hate Nichols and that they are on this site leading the Nichols hate. When folks bring up Nichols poor deep ball accuracy last year, blame the receivers. Hint: Demski and Adams were both here last year. Mathews hasn't played enough this year to be a big reason for anything. Whitehead's caught 1 deep ball.

FTR: Stalled drives are all Nichols fault or all PLAP's fault.

You're being obtuse for attention or something. He was hurt last year. IMO he shouldn't have even played several of those games. Yes his throwing accuracy sucked.

This year he is healthy. He is hitting receivers in stride, dropping the ball into receivers hands just out of reach of the DB. His execution in the red zone has been excellent. He's stretching the field. He's executing a balanced attack that has defenses guessing. He's running PLAP's system. IMO he is playing much better than he did last year. How you can find fault with him boggles my mind.

If there's any bitching to be done it should be directed towards PLAP, it's his system, and/or O'Shea, he determines who plays, again IMO. But y'know what? Although not perfect they are doing a pretty damn fine job too. We are 4-0 for crissakes. In my books, winning is everything and we're winning after not winning for many, many years. We're in first place, undefeated, and arguably the best team in the league. Isn't that nice for a change?

16 minutes ago, J5V said:

You're being obtuse for attention or something. He was hurt last year. IMO he shouldn't have even played several of those games. Yes his throwing accuracy sucked.

This year he is healthy. He is hitting receivers in stride, dropping the ball into receivers hands just out of reach of the DB. His execution in the red zone has been excellent. He's stretching the field. He's executing a balanced attack that has defenses guessing. He's running PLAP's system. IMO he is playing much better than he did last year. How you can find fault with him boggles my mind.

Exactly, and bringing up plays where the WR had to put a bit of effort out there to make the catch just sounds like a lame attempt to minimize his completions.  It's why that kind of garbage gets countered with the lines about Nichols debunking the deep ball myth and being able to go through his reads just fine.  There is absolutely nothing that should be offensive about saying such things.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Exactly, and bringing up plays where the WR had to put a bit of effort out there to make the catch just sounds like a lame attempt to minimize his completions.  It's why that kind of garbage gets countered with the lines about Nichols debunking the deep ball myth and being able to go through his reads just fine.  There is absolutely nothing that should be offensive about saying such things.

He hasn't quite debunked the deep ball myth.... he needs to do it yet under pressure against better teams.....and in more important games...

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Correct. Which is why I didn't understand Osh playing an injured Nichols the whole game. Streveler might have added a dimension that Calgary would have struggled with.