Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We can say the team played badly if we lose & no one should take offense as it would be true.

so if we lose, we played bad? What if the other team just played better?

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Can we find some consensus on what "offensive consistency" is then? Offensive points scored? (#1 in the league, btw). Keeping the team on the field, as measured maybe by, I don't know, time of possession? (32:51 average at this juncture, #2 in the league, btw). Balance between passing and running attack? (#1 in passing TDs and QB efficiency, #2 in overall rushing)

even out the peaks and valleys. we have periods of dominance, and times where they punt after minimal yards. That is all on Lapo though. Guy needs to stop over thinking and not change how he calls the game and also recognise when to change what isn't working. 

11 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Or, as gets pointed out, we'd rather the issues on our team that get criticized be real issues and not manufactured ones.  It may be at times a matter of perception as to whether or not certain issues are manufactured, but I do believe they do get manufactured out of thin air at times.  Some people thought Richie Hall's defense 2015-2017 or first half of 2018 was a manufactured crisis, but I disagreed because I felt the results spoke for themselves.  17to85 also noted this in bringing up Nichols dealing with bad defensive play in his first 2 playoff games.

In the points that TBurgess made about Nichols not being good at throwing deep balls last year, it may have been better to discuss why that was and why it's improved.  To me, I say it's because he did not have the talents of Whitehead and Matthews to throw to at the time and hence couldn't trust his guys apart from Adams to go get them.  I myself would never trust Lankford to run a route or make a catch, and neither do the Redblacks right now it seems.

And then of course as was mentioned, Nichols played poorly in the West Final, but the reasons for this were also discussed.  But either way, where would the fun be if we suddenly ran out of claims to debunk?

Fair enough, 110% speculation on my part, it would be  extremely unusual for a football club to agree to such terms but I could see Harris asking for it and Walters granting it to get him back in a Bomber uniform considering the state they were at in terms of a rebuild.  It's worked out quite well for all parties regardless.   Before Harris came along the RB's that preceded him were Nic Grigsby, Paris Cotton and I think Will Ford, all highly skilled but not dominant performers.

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

even out the peaks and valleys. we have periods of dominance, and times where they punt after minimal yards. That is all on Lapo though. Guy needs to stop over thinking and not change how he calls the game and also recognise when to change what isn't working. 

#BEBN (Blame Everyone But Nichols)

17 hates PLAP, so every good offensive play is about Nichols or Harris and every bad thing is cuz of PLAP's play calling. Hint: Nichols completion % is in a large part because of PLAP's play calling.

USABomberFan loves him some Nichols so all balls that are caught are great Nichols plays. Low throws that are dug out by receivers, spectacular 1 handed catches or diving for overthrown balls are good Nichols plays. If someone actually tries to do QB accuracy and Nichols doesn't come out that good, suggest they hate Nichols and that they are on this site leading the Nichols hate. When folks bring up Nichols poor deep ball accuracy last year, blame the receivers. Hint: Demski and Adams were both here last year. Mathews hasn't played enough this year to be a big reason for anything. Whitehead's caught 1 deep ball.

FTR: Stalled drives are all Nichols fault or all PLAP's fault.

43 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

USABomberFan loves him some Nichols so all balls that are caught are great Nichols plays. Low throws that are dug out by receivers, spectacular 1 handed catches or diving for overthrown balls are good Nichols plays.

If someone actually tries to do QB accuracy and Nichols doesn't come out that good, suggest they hate Nichols and that they are on this site leading the Nichols hate.

1. Ummm exactly how many times has that happened this season?  What are all these one handed diving catches you speak of?

2. For the record that was a joke I was cracking about Marshall Ferguson just happening with noticing the chart pulling up in the middle of the thread taking off after the Ottawa game.  No I don't think he's actually on this site ragging on Nichols, I was just ****ing around with that.

I don't care if Nichols is ranked number one or dead last on his accuracy chart.  My main beef with it is I don't like using limited amounts of passes to do it such as Streveler not throwing enough varieties of passes and only 8 to be exact to be graded number one.  If you think that's good enough, fine, but I don't.

There, does that clear up any of the assertions you been making?

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/15/quarterback-index-early-case-mop/

MATT NICHOLS WPG
THIS WEEK: 2 | LAST WEEK: 3

Matt Nichols is off to a blistering start in 2019, on pace for a career-high 45 touchdowns to go along with a 126.0 quarterback rating and 69.4 per cent completion rate. The veteran has been a central figure in the team’s perfect 4-0 start to the season.

Yardage total aside (and who cares?), he's getting the job done. And without Matthews. It'd be nice to see this offense stretch the field more but I like TDs and wins more, to be honest.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

your dislike for LaPo is laughable.  the ball is in the QB's hands, and it's up to him to make a play.  I'm sure players make adjustments to routes all the time to try and get open, and it's up to the QB to find that seam.  To blame LaPo for not being able to find a receiver open in an intermediate route??  The QB has to make the play happen!

16 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

your dislike for LaPo is laughable.  the ball is in the QB's hands, and it's up to him to make a play.  I'm sure players make adjustments to routes all the time to try and get open, and it's up to the QB to find that seam.  To blame LaPo for not being able to find a receiver open in an intermediate route??  The QB has to make the play happen!

I do not believe that is how he is dissecting Lapolice's playbook

37 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/15/quarterback-index-early-case-mop/

Yardage total aside (and who cares?), he's getting the job done. And without Matthews. It'd be nice to see this offense stretch the field more but I like TDs and wins more, to be honest.

Winner post right here

23 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I do not believe that is how he is dissecting Lapolice's playbook

in an earlier post he blamed the West Final result squarely on LaPo.... that's a joke.  Nichols was awful that game, and they had every opportunity to take control of that game had his play even been average.

Anyways.... beating the dead cow again.   Let's see how he continues to perform in the coming weeks, especially with some bigger challenges looming in Hamilton & Calgary!

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

in an earlier post he blamed the West Final result squarely on LaPo.... that's a joke.  Nichols was awful that game, and they had every opportunity to take control of that game had his play even been average.

Well let's see now ... wonder if that game is on YouTube so I could go back and see how many times he kept calling much of the same predictable plays that I saw him call.  Wonder how many times we tried to get the Stamps defense caught off guard with different motions or play actions as they keyed in on Harris, or if jet sweep play actions with Demski or company were used to try and draw pass rushers off of Nichols?  Looked like much of the same old bland stuff all game long to me, so perhaps 17to85 has a point.

29 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Wonder how many times we tried to get the Stamps defense caught off guard with different motions or play actions as they keyed in on Harris, or if jet sweep play actions with Demski or company were used to try and draw pass rushers off of Nichols?  

and is the QB not allowed to call an audible if they see something at the line that they don't like!??  surely you can't blame the play call in every single case!

14 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

and is the QB not allowed to call an audible if they see something at the line that they don't like!??  surely you can't blame the play call in every single case!

Well what kind of audibles does Nichols have at his disposal?  Whatever they are they'd be in Lapo's playbook