Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Last year folks said Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls because (Read this slowly if you have to) Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls. It's not a myth. It's the truth and hitting deep balls this year doesn't mean he was good at hitting them last year.

No one is trying to 'nail him to the wall', there's no 'fishing expedition' or 'witch hunt'. Those are all in your mind, just like the fictitious you gotta throw for 300 yards to be a good QB you love to make fun of.

I believe the point you are missing, is that some people just always gotta be finding something to ***** about with regards to Nichols. 

It's great Nichols is completing some of his longer passes finally,   now if we are down a score or two with the clock running out we can assume he could still put out a win for the Bombers with a few long bombs late in a game.  Lets also hope he can do it under the pressure of a playoff game if need be.  I'm still concerned about his durability,  every game he gets a scare from some type of hit or freak incident ( didn't somebody roll up on his leg last game ?) .......also his mobility is not that great which doesn't help his ability to escape those big hits.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He should have played, I agree. But what would have LaPo called? Continual hand off to Harris, screens, slants & hitches.

Well, yeah, there is that. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Last year folks said Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls because (Read this slowly if you have to) Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls. It's not a myth. It's the truth and hitting deep balls this year doesn't mean he was good at hitting them last year.

No one is trying to 'nail him to the wall', there's no 'fishing expedition' or 'witch hunt'. Those are all in your mind, just like the fictitious you gotta throw for 300 yards to be a good QB you love to make fun of.

Agree and there are reasons Nichols wasn't hitting deep balls last year not the least of which was injury. Our QBs run the offense the way they are told to run the offense. Lapo calls a good game until we get up by 2 or more scores then shuts it down for safety and lets the defense close the door. We are 4-0. As long as we win a cup this way I'm good with it. You?

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I believe the point you are missing, is that some people just always gotta be finding something to ***** about with regards to Nichols. 

Exactly, if people weren't trying to bring heat on him, us die hard supporters wouldn't be calling it out and defending him like we are.

Point is if he's a 200 yarder week in and week out but the TDs keep going up and ints stay down, that is greatness right there.  Better way of framing my claim is TDs outweigh passing yards by 1000x.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I believe that the 'I Love Nichols' fans see everything that's not uber-positive as a slight against Nichols.

Can't help but agree with your comments. As for me I am OK with Nichols at the moment. I think he is more of a game manager (which is what Plop and MOS want) than someone that can light it up. As long as he has a good team around him he will win his fair share of games. He is NOT someone that can carry the team on his back and win games just based on his talent. That is my opinion in any event.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It's great Nichols is completing some of his longer passes finally,   now if we are down a score or two with the clock running out we can assume he could still put out a win for the Bombers with a few long bombs late in a game.  Lets also hope he can do it under the pressure of a playoff game if need be.  I'm still concerned about his durability,  every game he gets a scare from some type of hit or freak incident ( didn't somebody roll up on his leg last game ?) .......also his mobility is not that great which doesn't help his ability to escape those big hits.

That's a fair point, but Streveler too also has problems not sliding.  He's big sure, but going down when you're running into the linebackers zone is still smart if you're on the field with dudes like Awe or Simoni Lawrence out there.

Buck Pierce got a bit reckless like that and I'm worried his influence might be rubbing off on Strev

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

In 2017 no opposition lead was Safe.   There were multiple times we were behind in the fourth and he marched them down the field to score and win.    So.  We’ve seen it before and know he can do this.  

So so far this year, have we ever been behind?

2 minutes ago, Mike#2 said:

In 2017 no opposition lead was Safe.   There were multiple times we were behind in the fourth and he marched them down the field to score and win.    So.  We’ve seen it before and know he can do this.  

Seems a few games we have had a lead before the O gets on the field.. Or on thr first series of the game so.. Dont believe we have trailed. Maybe to BC early? I dont think so tho. 

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

10 TDs and 1 pick....is managing the games, somewhat well, in my books.  

If that's a game manager along with a 4-0 record un the process gimme a game manager evry day then..when u look ar vcd the big numbers some G of these guys have put up..andnthen see their teams record..makes you kinda glad we have a game manager...no?

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

If that's a game manager along with a 4-0 record un the process gimme a game manager evry day then..when u look ar vcd the big numbers some G of these guys have put up..andnthen see their teams record..makes you kinda glad we have a game manager...no?

Some fans will never be satisfied, Booch. To them, the backup is always the better option no matter what.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I believe that the 'I Love Nichols' fans see everything that's not uber-positive as a slight against Nichols.

I don't think it's a case of "I Love Nichols" fans... It's a case of not letting people **** on him for unreasonable things. 

Honestly I think given time Streveler has higher potential than Nichols, but some people bag on Nichols for ridiculous reasons and need to be corrected about it. 

No QB is perfect, including Nichols. They all have their faults, strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to Nichols and Streveler, Nichols > Streveler because of a vast difference in playing experience. The argument, at least from my perspective, is that we need to close that experience gap so that when Streveler is called upon he can take over this offence and run it at least as well as Nichols does. Frankly, I don't see that happening. For whatever reason we don't seem to want to develop our own QB, last game being a case in point. 

Terms like "shell-shocked" and "turtling" and several others you can find in the thread have been thrown around loosely in regards to Nichols.  Not much evidence to support them either.

Those, IMO are the examples of trying to manufacture darts to try and "nail him to the wall" with and hence make defenders of him look like they're saying Nichols can do no wrong.

1 hour ago, Mike#2 said:

Regular season games he has done it.  I hope this years playoffs we dont have to come from behind to win and just outright win,  but the start to Nichols season this year gives us hope now that even if we are behind we still might have a chance.  

24 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Regular season games he has done it.  I hope this years playoffs we dont have to come from behind to win and just outright win,  but the start to Nichols season this year gives us hope now that even if we are behind we still might have a chance.  

The way he's played his whole time here should give us confidence that he can come from behind to win. His first 2 playoffs here plain and simple the defense couldn't stop jack **** and we lost because of that. Last year Lapo handcuffed the offense in the west final and expected the D to win the game. Bottom line.