Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

37 minutes ago, J5V said:

Since I've asked you this twice now, how bout for once you tell us in what way(s) Nichols is a better QB than Streveler. Seriously, because the only argument I can make on Nichols' behalf is that he is more risk averse than Streveler, a point which could be argued both ways and could actually fall into Lapo's lap anyway. Otherwise, I think arguments could be made that Chris throws better, certainly runs better, and is far more likely to try to make a play rather than turtle with the ball or throw it away at the first sign of trouble, a trait seen by the better QBs of our league like Reilly and Mitchell.

Nichols operates the offence much more effectively than Streveler is able to at this point, which should be expected based on experience.  Imagine the offence has 7 gears, Nichols is able to shift through all 7 fluently while  Strev. is only able to handle the first 3 gears before grinding the gear box to ****.

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Since I've asked you this twice now, how bout for once you tell us in what way(s) Nichols is a better QB than Streveler. Seriously, because the only argument I can make on Nichols' behalf is that he is more risk averse than Streveler, a point which could be argued both ways and could actually fall into Lapo's lap anyway. Otherwise, I think arguments could be made that Chris throws better, certainly runs better, and is far more likely to try to make a play rather than turtle with the ball or throw it away at the first sign of trouble, a trait seen by the better QBs of our league like Reilly and Mitchell.

I think they're both pretty smart QBs really.  Let's see if I can put it this way ... 

I just think with his pretty consistent completion ℅, TD to INT ratio, and ability to make most if not all the throws you want to see from a QB, Nichols does that more often than not.  Streveler can make some pretty good ones too I think but his sample size is still limited and hard to say how consistent he is with those.  I'll give that Streveler can scramble and that can be an element that fans enjoy seeing and getting their excitement from.  But being a pocket passer like Nichols is doesn't mean it makes him less potent as a QB.

I think the problem is we're kinda talking about the potential of one QB vs another.  I actually do have an open enough mind to believe Streveler could be a better QB than Nichols in terms of potential, but when looking at purely actual play and results on the field, he's not proven it yet.  There have been many QBs with potential who never turned it into greatness.

So like I said, I was quite serious about wanting to see Streveler on the field more tonight.  If he's better than Nichols, then good, I've been wanting to see another Danny McManus arise from here.  I just want to see the actual results prove this, not prognostication.

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nobody except you brings up passing yards... Seriously.. Get a legit grip on reality.. Nobody GAF about passing yards.. But when u get 60 percent of them in 2 passes and 40 percent in 17 other attempts.. Despite you actually not reading peoples posts cuz nobody has said passing yards matter, its a problem. You aren't moving the ball in the air consistently. You lose your **** cuz in your head its 2 things.. 1. Yards. 2. Matt Nchols vs Streveler

Nobody has said either of those tho.. Do u even read posts? Cuz all I've said is consistency is a problem with the passing game. If you don't think consistently moving the ball in the air matters in the CFL.. You must be new. 

Says it all right there

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nobody except you brings up passing yards... Seriously.. Get a legit grip on reality.. Nobody GAF about passing yards.. But when u get 60 percent of them in 2 passes and 40 percent in 17 other attempts.. Despite you actually not reading peoples posts cuz nobody has said passing yards matter, its a problem. You aren't moving the ball in the air consistently. You lose your **** cuz in your head its 2 things.. 1. Yards. 2. Matt Nchols vs Streveler

Nobody has said either of those tho.. Do u even read posts? Cuz all I've said is consistency is a problem with the passing game. If you don't think consistently moving the ball in the air matters in the CFL.. You must be new. 

He had like 3 TDs on 8 passing attempts to start they game... they were killing the argos and got conservative cause the argos are no threat. 

Bert: Hey Ernie ... this Matt Nichols guy is starting to throw deep balls on us and cause TDs to happen

Ernie: Oh no Bert, we can't have that, he's starting to debunk our theory on him as a game manager

Bert: Ernie, we need to move the goal posts again and throw his deep ball passes out the window and only count his short passes averaging out to 17 attempts for 85 yards

Ernie: Great idea Bert, we'll nail him to the wall now

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nichols operates the offence much more effectively than Streveler is able to at this point, which should be expected based on experience.  Imagine the offence has 7 gears, Nichols is able to shift through all 7 fluently while  Strev. is only able to handle the first 3 gears before grinding the gear box to ****.

I think this (smooth shifting) will come with playing time and tonight's game may have been the perfect opportunity to practice that but for some reason that I couldn't grasp, Osh put Nichols back in. I thought Streveler played well -- ran effectively, made some good throws, showed growth in his reads. I didn't like the INT but he was absolutely rocked as he threw that ball and I really didn't think it (the INT) was his fault. Streveler has a good chemistry with Wolitarsky and I'd like to see more of that.

45 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Bert: Hey Ernie ... this Matt Nichols guy is starting to throw deep balls on us and cause TDs to happen

Ernie: Oh no Bert, we can't have that, he's starting to debunk our theory on him as a game manager

Bert: Ernie, we need to move the goal posts again and throw his deep ball passes out the window and only count his short passes averaging out to 17 attempts for 85 yards

Ernie: Great idea Bert, we'll nail him to the wall now

Says the guy who is waiting for the D to suck so he can start going off on Ritchie Hall again. ******* hypocrite

Lapo has Nichols playing smart and utilizing the run game.

He takes shots when they are there and the defense tends to cheat a bit and focus on Harris..and when not taking a shot plays safe..controls the game without giving the ball away and wait for the next shot...obviously until teams defend differently we will keep doing it...and last 2+ yrs show we can pretty much avg 30 points a game.. (as a team effort) playing this way.

Also I bet we lead or are up at top of league in big explosion plays and Nichols has prob now thrown 3 or 4 deep shots to receivers in stride for scores to put to bed this notion he has no deep ball.

Also the tangent some go off on with some big plays being result of receiver grabbing a short pass and doing rest himself is also wrong as those plays are a result of the other guys on offence doing their parts unselfishly for the play to succeed...its been plays executed to perfection...not some fluke 

I just wish that we could involve some guys mid range and chew up  yards.   How many yards did we have passing in the 2nd half? It seemed like less then 100?    Nichols is the better choice for now but yikes it would be nice to see a full game from him.   Bethel Thompson wasn't great by any means but he could at least find some guys while under fire for 20 yards at a time.  

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo problems 

Is it though because Streveler goes into the game and then has no problem hitting a guy 15 - 20 yards down field?  

The int was bad but the other passes he quick released and hit the guy in stride.  

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Is it though because Streveler goes into the game and then has no problem hitting a guy 15 - 20 yards down field?  

The int was bad but the other passes he quick released and hit the guy in stride.  

Streveler has more personal need to impress and takes more risks. This is the same lapo as we have seen for 15+ years. Remember 2002? Bombs to stegall and Bruce or drop it off short to Robert's and Sellers. Stoddard was under used on the mid range stuff. 

Nichols is good at throwing those  mid range passes  but this team doesn't prioritize them, especially when up by 30 points.

The 300 yard schtick is something the Nichols fans made up to make fun of. No one but Nichols fans are talking about it.

It's not about loving or hating a QB. It's about looking at how they actually play week to week.

You don't have to say only good things about one QB and only bad things about the other.

Nichols threw a couple of great deep balls last night. That doesn't mean that he threw good deep balls last year or in general.

Streveler threw a horrible pick last night. That doesn't mean he always throws horrible picks.

Streveler's lack of experience isn't an argument for Nichols being better. It simply means that Streveler needs more reps.

I have no complaints about Nichols play last night, but I would have liked for him to be pulled earlier because we were so far ahead and the reps were way more important to Streveler than they were to Nichols.

O'Shea was questioned after the game about pulling Nichols and some other regulars.  He said that he was ready to pull the plug on some of his starters in the 3rd quarter but he felt that the Argos were starting to build up some momentum.  Thus he kept them in a bit longer till he got comfortable that the Argo ship was not resurfacing. 

Coaches decision and quite frankly this seems to be a trend in the CFL these days. 

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The 300 yard schtick is something the Nichols fans made up to make fun of. No one but Nichols fans are talking about it.

It's not about loving or hating a QB. It's about looking at how they actually play week to week.

You don't have to say only good things about one QB and only bad things about the other.

Nichols threw a couple of great deep balls last night. That doesn't mean that he threw good deep balls last year or in general.

Streveler threw a horrible pick last night. That doesn't mean he always throws horrible picks.

Streveler's lack of experience isn't an argument for Nichols being better. It simply means that Streveler needs more reps.

I have no complaints about Nichols play last night, but I would have liked for him to be pulled earlier because we were so far ahead and the reps were way more important to Streveler than they were to Nichols.

Hey Ernie, no we never made a big deal about Nichols constantly only throwing about 200 yards or less a game.  No no no, we never said that at all.

Oh and how bout those deep balls?  We never ripped on him saying he couldn't throw those.  Nope, never ever did that.

LOL

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Hey Ernie, no we never made a big deal about Nichols constantly only throwing about 200 yards or less a game.  No no no, we never said that at all.

Oh and how bout those deep balls?  We never ripped on him saying he couldn't throw those.  Nope, never ever did that.

LOL

Hey Bert! No, we didn't make a big deal out of 300 yards. That was on you. Nichols didn't throw accurate deep balls last year when 'we' were actually complaining about it.