Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Seen a lot of great Bomber players over the years as well as other CFL teams.  I feel fortunate in that way. Some real legends.

I think that is awesome. Bud Grant immediately comes to mind

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Seen a lot of great Bomber players over the years as well as other CFL teams.  I feel fortunate in that way. Some real legends.

There are some advantages to being old. Plus I can impress the young'ins here with player names they never heard of... ;) 

11 hours ago, Mike#2 said:

We should pull Nichols. He only has 239 yards passing right now with 89 of those on one play. 

Funny thing too how Streveler has an amazing 42 yards from just taking what the defense gave him.  I can't quite think of the name for that kind of QB play but it seems to sound something like ... Errrr... Game manager Lol

In all seriousness though this is why I have dubbed Lapolice as the owner of sub 300 passing QBs.  This is what he does with his offenses and it's not unique to Nichols or Strev.

And btw, I would NOT have blamed Strev if we had lost, but did he do any of the things that the Nichols detractors have been saying would happen if he was made starter?  Nope.

Edited by USABomberfan

12 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Funny thing too how Streveler has an amazing 42 yards from just taking what the defense gave him.  I can't quite think of the name for that kind of QB play but it seems to sound something like ... Errrr... Game manager Lol

In all seriousness though this is why I have dubbed Lapolice as the owner of sub 300 passing QBs.  This is what he does with his offenses and it's not unique to Nichols or Strev.

And btw, I would NOT have blamed Strev if we had lost, but did he do any of the things that the Nichols detractors have been saying would happen if he was made starter?  Nope.

The play call was brilliant in the first half. Streveler went in and it was crap. If we had lost Itd be on plop. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The play call was brilliant in the first half. Streveler went in and it was crap. If we had lost Itd be on plop. 

Watching the game and seeing how the play calling changed after Nichols exited the game.  I wondered if it changed because the team doesn't have the confidence in Streveler to throw the ball downfield.  But I also see Streveler abandon the passing opportunity  too quickly and take off.      

20 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Watching the game and seeing how the play calling changed after Nichols exited the game.  I wondered if it changed because the team doesn't have the confidence in Streveler to throw the ball downfield.  But I also see Streveler abandon the passing opportunity  too quickly and take off.      

I never saw Streveler take the time to look beyond his first read even once, the RB's pass rush was not forcing him to hurry so not sure why he's so quick to take off.  At this point Streveler is morphing into LeFevour.

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I never saw Streveler take the time to look beyond his first read even once, the RB's pass rush was not forcing him to hurry so not sure why he's so quick to take off.  At this point Streveler is morphing into LeFevour.

I'm more worried that Matty may becoming a little susceptible to injuries......

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Streveler can throw a nice ball and it usually has some zip on it, unlike Lefevour. From what I've seen he is not a deep-read, pocket passer but more of a shotgun, quick-hitter-type QB. He doesn't go through all his progressions and wait for everything to break down. He looks primary, secondary, then takes off before he gets sacked. It's a completely different approach from what Nichols does. Very up-tempo. That might be part of the reason they work so well as a tandem. Hard on a defense. I just wish Lapo would design sets better suited to his style. 

I don't know how you can accurately judge the playcalling when Streveler was in. I don't think he was necessarily going through his reads very well. Might have been a couple unplanned QB runs and checkdowns to Andrew Harris in there.

Lapo might have ran Harris on first and ten a few too many times but when you have the best RB in the league and he is playing well, and you're winning, and the backup QB is in, of course you're going to try to run the ball.

Edited by Atomic

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Streveler can throw a nice ball and it usually has some zip on it, unlike Lefevour. From what I've seen he is not a deep-read, pocket passer but more of a shotgun, quick-hitter-type QB. He doesn't go through all his progressions and wait for everything to break down. He looks primary, secondary, then takes off before he gets sacked. It's a completely different approach from what Nichols does. Very up-tempo. That might be part of the reason they work so well as a tandem. Hard on a defense. I just wish Lapo would design sets better suited to his style. 

Strev. had a Q and a half to show his stuff, he was unable to sustain a drive, was not able to move them into scoring territory,  locked onto his first read and threw several passes that jeopardized the health of the receiver.   When he replaced Nichols the RB's D tightened the box and started to beat upon him and Harris every time they ran the ball.  Harris ran for 9/50 under Nichols and 9/30 under Strev. which indicates  mighty tough slogging.

You can blame LaPo and his game plan all you want but if they have to rely on Strev. as a replacement, scored points are going to be tough to come by unless he starts from inside the redzone.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Lapo might have ran Harris on first and ten a few too many times but when you have the best RB in the league and he is playing well, and you're winning, and the backup QB is in, of course you're going to try to run the ball.

You know who else knows that that is exactly what will happen? The defense. So of course they key in on stopping he run. Which is why it was stupid of lapo to keep handing off on first down all the time. 

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't know how you can accurately judge the playcalling when Streveler was in. I don't think he was necessarily going through his reads very well. Might have been a couple unplanned QB runs and checkdowns to Andrew Harris in there.

Streveler may very well be told if his primary/secondary isn't open, take off if you see an opening or check down if you don't. Puts a lot of pressure on the LBs because they have to stay home to stop Streveler if he runs.

Nichols on the other hand may be told, stand tall in the pocket and try to go through all your reads. If you find no one open, dump it off or throw it away. I seriously doubt he's being told to take off running. Makes it a little easier on the D because they can focus on pass protection or blitzing.

Streveler, to me, is more of a Mike Reilly than a Matt Nichols. I'd really like to see Lapo design series of plays for Streveler like they do for Reilly -- put the ball up and let the receiver go get it. With guys like Adams, Demski, Matthews, Woli, and Lucky, sure you're going to have some picks but you also might get some 300+ 400+ yard passing performances which would make at least one Bomber fan I know very happy. 

30 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Strev. had a Q and a half to show his stuff, he was unable to sustain a drive, was not able to move them into scoring territory,  locked onto his first read and threw several passes that jeopardized the health of the receiver.   When he replaced Nichols the RB's D tightened the box and started to beat upon him and Harris every time they ran the ball.  Harris ran for 9/50 under Nichols and 9/30 under Strev. which indicates  mighty tough slogging.

You can blame LaPo and his game plan all you want but if they have to rely on Strev. as a replacement, scored points are going to be tough to come by unless he starts from inside the redzone.

I do blame Lapo. What you say is true but why? I think it's because the RBs knew what was coming with Lapo in full run-on-first-down mode. 

I understand the need to use Harris. It would be foolish not to. But, Streveler and Wolitarsky had a connection last year and that could be used again. Hit him fast and short 7-8 yards, then Harris or Demski. 

Meanwhile, Streveler’s getting what he needs..playing time outside the 3rd down packages. Experience. 

He’s not ready now, but each snap brings him closer to the real hut, hut, hut.