Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

So far..what you can’t count on at this point in the CFL..

Toronto winning more their 2 preseason games.

Collaros’ ability to stay healthy.

The extraordinary statistics being produced by career backups, Dom Davis and Cody Fajardo.

Throwing for over 300 yards leads to a victory.

Fat stats for receivers going forward. What happens when defences discover the meaning of defending and that’s their side of the ball?

Edmonton being a disciplined team.

Chandler Fenner playing corner.

The Argos allowing less points than the Raptors. Is that a good thing?

The belief that the rookie Coaches are tuned in already.

6 consecutive TDs scored on a team.

QB Franklin being money.

Saskatchewan, and any kind of numbers.

Optics. Is Coach Claybrooks’ hat really crooked or is the hat straight and the head not in line?

AND

LaPolice, who pointed at the club’s 35 percent second-down conversion rate in last week’s win as an area in need of improvement. 

Following the results of his MRI on Tuesday, there is no decision yet on a timeframe for Calgary Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, according to TSN's Farhan Lalji.     Big break for the Riders?

The CFL received its best numbers so far this season on ESPN2 Thursday, pulling in 224,000 viewers 

And finally:

sg4c9f.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stats Junkie said:

I have been tracking drive based numbers since 2015. The key measurements (in my opinion) are points per drive and yards per drive.

Here are the numbers for the active CFL QBs who have been around since 2015

y4mXH1z5oflx9q6RLTmMkLeH35l4X4i90T6CyzZQ

y4mx6AzrmDeWRsp1erkBo3O_zHk6yY4ubNvN97SO

y4mZpEr1iN-D1ajO6sbXAd0SUXmJ--fJyZT6bKiu

And here are the results through 3 weeks of the 2019 season

y4mw83cY48Z5wq9j4LfWPzA9xlXLcX8z0Va70ukj

so based on extensive stats..Mr Game Manager Nichols who sucks (according to Ripper and his band of butttards) basically ranks as one of the top dogs..hu...whoda thunk...I guess there is some correlation to his nipping at .700 win percentage....but alas...It's all on Harris and Lucky

I think lost in a lot of this argument is the fact that Nichols has had 3 OCs in his time in the CFL. Kavis Reid in 2012(Nichols rookie year), he was injured in 2013, Had McAdoo in 2014 and 2015 and Lapo since 2016.

I will ignore Kavis as an OC as I don't think he would have done much or anything with him. McAdoo he would have only been running QB sneaks and back up plays and not a ton of game time as Reilly was the starter.

And Lapo. We know how Lapo calls a game (at least since 2016) and he loves to mix it up. We have no idea how Nichols would be under a different OC. We do know that he can and has made plenty of very accurate long bombs (including 2 last game) and we know he has no issues doing it. Maybe under a different OC who calls the game that way Nichols would put up 400 yards in a game. Until Nichols or Lapo are with a different team we may never know his capability.

49 minutes ago, Booch said:

so based on extensive stats..Mr Game Manager Nichols who sucks (according to Ripper and his band of butttards) basically ranks as one of the top dogs..hu...whoda thunk...I guess there is some correlation to his nipping at .700 win percentage....but alas...It's all on Harris and Lucky

One of the Top Dogs, on a list where only 3 QBs have been the starter for those past 3 seasons.  You'd have to look at individual seasons, and bring Burris, Glenn & Ray into the picture.

In fact, one could argue that the Bombers might have been better off with Kevin Glenn under centre last season!

2017 GLENN, Kevin SSK 17 318 468 67.9 4038 25 14 100.0 3.0 8.6

2018 NICHOLS, Matt WPG 14 254 392 64.8 3146 18 13 91.0 3.3 8.0

well when talking about this regime..and what has gone on in last 3-4 years then yes this is very relevant..and kudos I guess to the organizations that have had consistency at the QB position..mark's of good teams and organizations...lets throw in Brock..Ploen..Moon too then eh..

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

No one. The question referred to other teams showing interest and the Bombers letting him go. I'm sure he would rather stay and be a backup for less money than get a chance to be a starter elsewhere for more cash. What was I thinking

You have all the answers to none of the questions.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

One of the Top Dogs, on a list where only 3 QBs have been the starter for those past 3 seasons.  You'd have to look at individual seasons, and bring Burris, Glenn & Ray into the picture.

I prepared the charts for previous seasons prior to the start of the season. At that point, only active QBs were relevant. Here are the numbers for the retired QBs.

y4mueQKNIBWjcTsl_J8muacC9pJmqFi5riFJfeit

A few factors got me looking into a drive based approach rather than the traditional passing stats

1. There were many drives where QBs would go 3 for 3, 4 for 4 etc. and the drive would result in a punt. The completion percentage was great but the result was bad.

2. The pass efficiency rating focuses on TD passes. A drive that ends in a TD rush is just as significant as a drive that ends in a TD pass.

3. Over the past decade, we have seen the role of a situational QB flourish. A number of TD drives end with a backup QB punching the ball into the end zone, taking any opportunity for a TD pass out of the hands of the drive QB.

Edited by Stats Junkie

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I was there and it was a good crowd. After the rain hit I'd say maybe 18-20k fans were still there.  There was a solid 30 in there when game started, believe what you want, doesn't matter to me.

This kind of silly exaggeration makes no sense with the game being broadcast nationally in HD. Like, dude,  at best there was maybe 25k at the high point. 

thumb.png

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

In fact, one could argue that the Bombers might have been better off with Kevin Glenn under centre last season!

I've always found Nichols and Glenn to be a reasonable comparison.  Both have ability but lack consistency. Both can do enough to win but never quite dominate enough to inspire unwavering confidence. 

43 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

I've always found Nichols and Glenn to be a reasonable comparison.  Both have ability but lack consistency. Both can do enough to win but never quite dominate enough to inspire unwavering confidence. 

Glenn might be better than Nichols except for one area that makes all the difference.... mental toughness. Glenn is a mental midget, Nichols much better ability to overcome adversity.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

NO it was sold out..ask Ripper he can confirm it...saw it with his own two eyes :)

I said there was a solid 30 in there. Never said it was sold out. Don't let that ruin your good rant though

Edited by Ripper

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

I'm not going to beat the 4 stripes attendance into the ground but when you have their biggest cheerleader on tv claim that 35k are at the game when you clearly can see big empty sections and you could still find tickets available on the selling sitess, it's misleading to claim a sell out.

I don't know why they said that. I never watched it on tv so can't confirm or deny what was said.  I would like to comment on 4 stripes.  I like it, good original nickname.  well done

3 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Alright, that's enough.

1rgbob.jpg

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

My favourite thing about Nichols, besides salvaging our franchise, is his intelligence. The CFL is a thinking QB's game. Vernon Adams will never be a starter in the league and you can see it with his lousy decision making. Throwing up lame duck hail mary passes that get picked. Panicking during a blitz and having no idea how to check down. It's why Drew Willy sucked and why it's so hard to play QB in the CFL: you have to be football smart. Willy was football stupid and made terrible, terrible decisions. Nichols, aside from a short stretch last year which we can reasonably chalk up to his nagging injuries, has always been very smart with the ball. 

3 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

If you are going to argue that KJ>MN, then you need to add one stat of importance: Soul-crushing-game-losing-Pick-6.