Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

1 hour ago, 66 Chevelle said:

while it's sad to say, and nobody wants to see any player get hurt, it does make for an easier transition to a new future QB.... even when they struggle you get to lean on the fact that you had no choice and fight thru them, where teams generally fight that difficult time as long as possible...

Be a tough sell to the fan base but wouldn't it be nice to see Shreveller start 3 games to see what you got before you have to decide on Nichols. Shreveller's deal is up at end of year, are you ok letting him walk? 

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Maybe you all would feel better believing that, so go with it.

It is the dead set truth.

You're just delusional. The Riders didn't even want him back, they were, and still are, out of options for a real solution.

Edited by Geebrr

49 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Be a tough sell to the fan base but wouldn't it be nice to see Shreveller start 3 games to see what you got before you have to decide on Nichols. Shreveller's deal is up at end of year, are you ok letting him walk? 

not at all, in fact, that's my biggest fear...  the truth of the matter is I don't believe there is any way to be able to keep both, not with the questions about what the new going rate for a QB is...  I'm of the opinion that O'Shea needs to give Streveler enough snaps this year in live game action to ensure we as a team make the right decision on who to keep.  I have no doubt that given the QB shortage in the CFL and the small sampling Streveler has shown, there will be teams interested in signing him.

If we're going to do it, now would be time instead of letting him go and then be forced to keep a less mobile, aging Nichols for 3+ years more... I think O'Shea drags his feet on Streveler and then wants to sign Nichols because that would equal job security for him. Nichols would be a safe bet to win enough games a year to not get him fired. If Streveler struggles the first year he may feel like they make a change...

but that's how I see it...

If Nichols keeps playing this year as he is now and the choice is Nichols and Streveler  walks.. or Streveler and Nichols walks.. man. I don't want to have to be in the chair making that decision. 

Which is surprising to me that we aren't seeing more of Streveler so far in the 1st 2 games. 

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

If Nichols keeps playing this year as he is now and the choice is Nichols and Streveler  walks.. or Streveler and Nichols walks.. man. I don't want to have to be in the chair making that decision. 

Which is surprising to me that we aren't seeing more of Streveler so far in the 1st 2 games. 

I respect very much that after being a staunch Nichols backer for so long you’re willing to at least consider the possibility that he’s not the answer here. 

and the upside with him is, even if he doesn't work out at QB, with his 4.5 speed and size you could still put him in at slot or running back, lol...  while at Minnesota he was getting snaps at QB and asked to play WR, which they did...

but seriously, I think O'Shea owes it to the team to vet both properly and keep the best person to move forward with...  however, last year when asked if we see more of Streveler in games, O'Shea replied with something along the line of he's already played more than most back ups do this year already...  telling? maybe, maybe not... to be seen...

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

First of all, its Streveler, Ripper. Spell his name correctly. Second, I think it foolish to assume that there is no plan to use Streveler more over the course of the season or that if faced with a choice in the off season, Walters automatically keeps Matt.

I never said that there isn't a plan to get Streveler into games now... but what I question is, will they give him similar play time as in the past, come in on a 2 and short and then let him play the following down or two, or... will they get him there and let him play a couple of series? I don't think the amount of time that he got last year will tell us anything more than we know now... to be allowed to get a series or two we're going to have to be up or down really big, probably...  to be seen, I guess...

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

First of all, its Streveler, Ripper. Spell his name correctly. Second, I think it foolish to assume that there is no plan to use Streveler more over the course of the season or that if faced with a choice in the off season, Walters automatically keeps Matt.

Sorry about spelling. I try haerde in futurr to nott offend u.  When I did I ever say they would automatically keep Nichols?

49 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Do you actually believe this?  Just wondering

Its kind of what the riders have done as far as qbs since durants departure so yeah id agree. Or you could search the riders forum for his name and see how many posts pop up pining for him. 

I've always like Fajardo. He could be really good. Thus far its a tiny sample size against some real bad defense early in a season where all the teams are showing rust. Look at what offenses with elite qbs and talent have done vs our d, vs what every one has done to the als and argos. The biggest disparity in the league right now is in defensive play.  

The big thing for any pro but especially a qb and a mobile one at that isn't how they start. Its how they play after the defenses around the league get film on them and adjust play calls to counter them. Weve seen tons of flash in the pan qbs like this. Both davis and fajardo are over achieving. I dont expect either to  end up with a year average any thing similar to what they are doing now. Should we see streveler  this year it will be the showing of if he has taken the next step and cant adapt  beyond what defenses do to him. 

Also the fact you facetiously miss spell his name to fire shots tells me you arent the most secure in this very recent bloom of Fajardos. 

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Not really the type of thing contending teams worry about. If streveler doesn't play at all this year, it means very good things. Then we find another in the off season. Just like we did with our OL, and JSK, and S, and whitey etc. Wolves don't concern them self with the opinions and actions of sheep. 

Edited by wbbfan

37 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Sorry about spelling. I try haerde in futurr to nott offend u.  When I did I ever say they would automatically keep Nichols?

Glad to see that your graduate studies are going well. Keep at it and soon you will be able to get dressed all by yourself. Your mom and several of your fathers will be proud.

Edited by Tracker

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Its kind of what the riders have done as far as qbs since durants departure so yeah id agree. Or you could search the riders forum for his name and see how many posts pop up pining for him. 

I've always like Fajardo. He could be really good. Thus far its a tiny sample size against some real bad defense early in a season where all the teams are showing rust. Look at what offenses with elite qbs and talent have done vs our d, vs what every one has done to the als and argos. The biggest disparity in the league right now is in defensive play.  

The big thing for any pro but especially a qb and a mobile one at that isn't how they start. Its how they play after the defenses around the league get film on them and adjust play calls to counter them. Weve seen tons of flash in the pan qbs like this. Both davis and fajardo are over achieving. I dont expect either to  end up with a year average any thing similar to what they are doing now. Should we see streveler  this year it will be the showing of if he has taken the next step and cant adapt  beyond what defenses do to him. 

Also the fact you facetiously miss spell his name to fire shots tells me you arent the most secure in this very recent bloom of Fajardos. 

Not really the type of thing contending teams worry about. If streveler doesn't play at all this year, it means very good things. Then we find another in the off season. Just like we did with our OL, and JSK, and S, and whitey etc. Wolves don't concern them self with the opinions and actions of sheep. 

At this point, Fajardo is nothing more than promising. Anyone who has watched can see he has looked very good, very good indeed. Small sample size, no film on him etc etc. Hoping that continues but who knows.  As far as your other guy, I don't care which way it goes, I only asked a question about whether or not poster was fine with letting him walk. I see that you are and that's fine, others may not agree with you by seasons end

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

At this point, Fajardo is nothing more than promising. Anyone who has watched can see he has looked very good, very good indeed. Small sample size, no film on him etc etc. Hoping that continues but who knows.  As far as your other guy, I don't care which way it goes, I only asked a question about whether or not poster was fine with letting him walk. I see that you are and that's fine, others may not agree with you by seasons end

Agree, and I hope he succeeds, as much as I can for any rider qb. The league needs fresh blood at QB to succeed. 

I love the streveler tool set. His head set and the way he plays football. From another small sample size this pre season I didnt see him taking the next step I had hoped. But he may have, and he may yet take it this year. He got his spot by his play more then practice last year imo. But at worst he is an extremely athletic guy who protects the ball. 

What sean mcguire has shown as a passer has me pretty happy. In a perfect world Id say bring both along and continue to develop them both. At this point I wouldnt give streveler star qb money. That could change this year of course. But at the very worst I would love to have him back and would have no qualms with those two being our 2 and 3 going forward. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Do you actually not believe this?

Just wondering.

I know TSN blows smoke up your collective asses, nice "sell out" by the way, but please.

30 100 was attendance.  Let me know when you ever have that. When the Riders aren't there

Aside from the occasional misguided jab, Ripper is respectful on here. Nothing he’s saying in this thread is out of line. I realize he’s a Rider fan on a Bomber forum but we’re being a little juvenile. And yes, I realize he often sings a slightly less friendly tune on RF.com.

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Aside from the occasional misguided jab, Ripper is respectful on here. Nothing he’s saying in this thread is out of line. I realize he’s a Rider fan on a Bomber forum but we’re being a little juvenile. And yes, I realize he often sings a slightly less friendly tune on RF.com.

I am way harder on my own team than I am on anyone else's.  I want to win the cup every year. shouldn't be a problem should it.  Right now we are still trying to hammer out how Gainer got addicted to crystal meth