Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

That Matt, he can sure beat the backup qb's from other teams, he is definitely worth 500 k a year. Are you going to win the west final this year? Is your qb'ing good enough to get it done?  That's what the thread is about

You know the Riders would cut a perfectly healthy Collaros to get Nichols, right? 

2018 Nichols

6 hours ago, Ripper said:

That Matt, he can sure beat the backup qb's from other teams, he is definitely worth 500 k a year. Are you going to win the west final this year? Is your qb'ing good enough to get it done?  That's what the thread is about

He can only beat who is put in front of him. You're right though, I'm sure if Collaros were playing things would have been much different, just look at the last time Nichols played against Collaros. The riders at least scored some points in the Wsf.

7 hours ago, Ripper said:

Your comprehension has failed. Read the title again. And then again if you still don’t get it. 

7 hours ago, Ripper said:

Don't change the subject. Thread is about Nichols and whether the stats matter. I get accused of trolling, I am not trolling this thread.  No one is touting the Riders as a cup contender, so if making fun of us with a backup qb makes you feel better about Matt, have at it

Just sharing a light-hearted moment with you, Ripper, but fair enough, let's keep it to Matt and QB stats.

And in the article titled "NUMBERS DON’T LIE: 3 STATS THAT WILL DEFINE THE WESTERN FINAL" in 2018 the CFL had this to say about Matt Nichols. They also mention your teams failure to protect the ball in the WSF. They go on to describe Matt's game management as "elite" level ...

"Matt Nichols has won his last six starts dating back to Week 15, completing 72 per cent of his passes for 1,382 yards and eight touchdowns in the process. What’s most impressive, however, is that he’s had such production without turning the football over, throwing just one interception over that span.

Ball security has been a significant part of the Bombers’ recent success, as the team has turned the ball over just eight times in the span of six games. That was certainly a factor in the Western Semi, when the Bombers won a narrow five-point contest with a 2-0 edge in turnovers, the difference being a second-quarter interception by Kevin Fogg.

Through it all, Nichols has been nearly flawless. The Bombers’ pivot is hovering around nine yards per attempt over that span — an elite level of production — yet has managed to throw 109 passes without being intercepted."

So far this year he appears to be writing the same "elite" script with only Trevor Harris showing a better TD/INT ratio in a losing effort against Matt's Bombers.

Trevor Harris: 6-0

Matt Nichols: 6-1

J. Masoli: 5-4

Mike Reilly: 4-3

Bo Levi Mitchell: 3-2

D. Davis: 3-4

C. Fajardo: 2-0

V. Adams: 2-2

J. Franklin: 0-1

I. Harker: 0-2

(BTW, show me where I have made fun of your backup QB issue. Fact is, I spoke out against the dirty hit that sidelined your #1 QB, but don't let facts such as these get in your way of maligning our QB. "Have at it").

Edited by J5V
Forgot Trevor Harris' stats for this year

22 minutes ago, J5V said:

Just sharing a light-hearted moment with you, Ripper, but fair enough, let's keep it to Matt and QB stats.

And in the article titled "NUMBERS DON’T LIE: 3 STATS THAT WILL DEFINE THE WESTERN FINAL" in 2018 the CFL had this to say about Matt Nichols. They also mention your teams failure to protect the ball in the WSF. They go on to describe Matt's game management as "elite" level ...

"Matt Nichols has won his last six starts dating back to Week 15, completing 72 per cent of his passes for 1,382 yards and eight touchdowns in the process. What’s most impressive, however, is that he’s had such production without turning the football over, throwing just one interception over that span.

Ball security has been a significant part of the Bombers’ recent success, as the team has turned the ball over just eight times in the span of six games. That was certainly a factor in the Western Semi, when the Bombers won a narrow five-point contest with a 2-0 edge in turnovers, the difference being a second-quarter interception by Kevin Fogg.

Through it all, Nichols has been nearly flawless. The Bombers’ pivot is hovering around nine yards per attempt over that span — an elite level of production — yet has managed to throw 109 passes without being intercepted."

So far this year he appears to be writing the same "elite" script with only Trevor Harris showing a better TD/INT ratio in a losing effort against Matt's Bombers.

Trevor Harris: 6-0

Matt Nichols: 6-1

J. Masoli: 5-4

Mike Reilly: 4-3

Bo Levi Mitchell: 3-2

D. Davis: 3-4

C. Fajardo: 2-0

V. Adams: 2-2

J. Franklin: 0-1

I. Harker: 0-2

(BTW, show me where I have made fun of your backup QB issue. Fact is, I spoke out against the dirty hit that sidelined your #1 QB, but don't let facts such as these get in your way of maligning our QB. "Have at it").

I enjoyed the post so much I read it twice. 

I don't know, better tread lightly with Ripper as he may get the last laugh...

Mr. Fajardo was 24 for 31,  77.4%,  430 yards,   2 TDS.... that's more that Nichols has thrown for this entire season and way better completion percentage, and not to mention he's never had a 400 yard game...  against anybody, ever... 

15 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

and not to mention he's never had a 400 yard game...  against anybody, ever... 

Nichols is a game manager. That's what he is and always will be. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it, but that's the way he is. He has the tools around him this year to win on any given night.

11 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Nichols is a game manager. That's what he is and always will be. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it, but that's the way he is. He has the tools around him this year to win on any given night.

then did you see that the game manager only managed to navigate his team into Edmonton territory ONCE in 14 series from the start of the 2nd quarter on?

or, that he managed to keep the ball for only about 8:45 of the possible 30 minutes of the second half?

Edited by 66 Chevelle

2 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Mr. Fajardo was 24 for 31,  77.4%,  430 yards,   2 TDS.... that's more that Nichols has thrown for this entire season and way better completion percentage, and not to mention he's never had a 400 yard game...  against anybody, ever... 

Good lord

1 hour ago, 66 Chevelle said:

then did you see that the game manager only managed to navigate his team into Edmonton territory ONCE in 14 series from the start of the 2nd quarter on?

or, that he managed to keep the ball for only about 8:45 of the possible 30 minutes of the second half?

Playing Edmonton is the same as Toronto, for sure.

What is wrong with you?

43 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

What is wrong with you?

I'd ask you the same question, what is wrong with you? the post that you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with Toronto and I'm not sure as to why you would imply that it did. If you were to go back and look you'd see that post was a reply  to  blueingreenland when he attempted to justify Nichols' stats, or lack there of, were due to his role as a 'game manager'...  so I felt compelled to let him know that maybe that wasn't one of his strong points either... 

57 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

What is wrong with you?

Rider troll. You know how they roll. As soon as they win a game they go on other chat sites to gloat. Pathetic. That's what happens when they have such low self esteem about the province & city where they live. No other fan base  does it.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rider troll. You know how they roll. As soon as they win a game they go on other chat sites to gloat. Pathetic. That's what happens when they have such low self esteem about the province & city where they live. No other fan base  does it.

A different contemptuous blockhead pops up now and then. Attention seeking, even as a reviled loser and ill willed meddler. 

I remember seeing Sacartgoxz at a bomber game. Pockmarked, eyes too close together dullard he was. That’s my experience. 

neither a Rider troll or Rider fan...   a page or so back Geebrr was telling Ripper how it is common practice to make fun of his back up QB as well as his "shitty starter", as "he is terrible" and I just wanted to make sure that he had that shitty starter's latest performance stats to make fun of is all...

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Another Rider plant, I see.

no he's a Bomber fan from other Bomber forum. good to see him posting here.

The CFL is short of good quarterbacks, Rider dislkie aside,

Let's hope that Cody is not a flash in the pan,and that the Riders have found themselves a good one.

also, the Suiter love gush  for the Riders was hard to take. He's the most annoying one of the bunch.

Edited by Mark F

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Fajardo - Nichols?

Nichols please.

Fajardo, nice stats, but really, what he proved?

The Bomber offence isn’t built that way. I know most fans want stats AND wins, but if you can have only one of the two?

Wins please.

Ripper May have the last in the 1st Q, but let’s see how the rest of the game (year) goes.

8 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Hes also never been shut out...by anyone...ever.

3 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

neither a Rider troll or Rider fan...   a page or so back Geebrr was telling Ripper how it is common practice to make fun of his back up QB as well as his "shitty starter", as "he is terrible" and I just wanted to make sure that he had that shitty starter's latest performance stats to make fun of is all...

His game yesterday doesn't change my opinion at all

Despite how hard you and TSN try.

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I'd ask you the same question, what is wrong with you? the post that you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with Toronto and I'm not sure as to why you would imply that it did. If you were to go back and look you'd see that post was a reply  to  blueingreenland when he attempted to justify Nichols' stats, or lack there of, were due to his role as a 'game manager'...  so I felt compelled to let him know that maybe that wasn't one of his strong points either... 

You act like your comments exist in a vacuum.

Your boring and superficial opinion/agenda is transparent.

Fajardo will come to earth in short time..his deep ball is horrendous and teams will adjust when the film is out now that his ball hags there and 9 times out of 10 the receiver has to either stop his route, or come back to it..he will be an interception machine in short order, 

You get a few games of film worth on a guy who finally gets to start and you see his tendencies..weaknesss'..strengths..up till now teams had nadda on him...he's a career back-up for a reason...and it will be apparent when they roll in here on Bnajo Bowl most likely sitting at 2-7 at best

9 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

But they played Toronto.   

In comparison, Hamilton scored double the points. 

So.  either Toronto stepped it up this week, or They are just really bad and sask isn't nearly as good as the numbers showed last night. 

Which is it?

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_x said:

But they played Toronto.   

In comparison, Hamilton scored double the points. 

So.  either Toronto stepped it up this week, or They are just really bad and sask isn't nearly as good as the numbers showed last night

Which is it?

Bingo. Homers like Suitor can gush over Fajardo's performance last night but consider the opponent. The Argonauts are a disaster.