Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

38 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I don't know what the coaches are thinking but a lot of fans think Nichols is boring to watch - especially with the offensive weapons he's got. What's the point in having Chris Matthews if he hardly sees the ball?  Nichols decides very quickly to throw the ball out of bounds. He does that  alot. He slides or goes down as soon as a defender gets a pinky on him, instead of fighting for yards. We are blessed to have a shut-down Defence. But if Bombers management is thinking that at least Nichols can manage things so we might not lose - then I think people are going to stay home instead of buying tickets to see the team play. They might sell more tickets by giving Streveler the reigns. He's exciting to watch, even if there are some growing pains.  Fans want to see him play.

Conduct another scientific research study of casual fans and ask them if they want the stadium moved to downtown. 

47 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I don't know what the coaches are thinking but a lot of fans think Nichols is boring to watch - especially with the offensive weapons he's got. What's the point in having Chris Matthews if he hardly sees the ball?  Nichols decides very quickly to throw the ball out of bounds. He does that  alot. He slides or goes down as soon as a defender gets a pinky on him, instead of fighting for yards. We are blessed to have a shut-down Defence. But if Bombers management is thinking that at least Nichols can manage things so we might not lose - then I think people are going to stay home instead of buying tickets to see the team play. They might sell more tickets by giving Streveler the reigns. He's exciting to watch, even if there are some growing pains.  Fans want to see him play.

I think the coaches are thinking about wins.  Yes sports is entertainment but it's still governed by the almighty "wins and losses".

It's not wrestling

Edited by B-F-F-C

We know how stubborn O'Shea is when it comes to playing his vets and that's his prerogative. Nichols knows this also. He's not going to fight for yards or take unnecessary hits because he knows he can protect his job by not getting hurt. To me it's no different that watching a receiver run down the sidelines and step out of bounds just before a big hit comes. It's self-preservation and it's smart football.

The only way Nichols loses his job is if he gets seriously hurt or stinks to the point of losing us games long-term. I'm okay with that because I like having Streveler as an insurance policy that I may never have to use.

Look what happened to Bo last night. The same thing could happen to Matt. Streveler will play when his time comes and he knows that. You never hear a single complaint from him about getting playing time. That kid is a great young athlete and conducts himself as a true professional. I'm betting O'Shea loves him to death and wishes there were two footballs so he could give one to Big Chris. Unfortunately there isn't so Chris will have to continue to be patient, a chore he seems perfectly content with.

He will get his chance and when he does, he may never have to give the ball back to Nichols if he plays well enough. He needs to be ready to step in each and every game.

7 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Nichols' play the last season+ probably is playing a role in lower than expected attendance.  Barely any games over 27,000 last season despite the team making the playoffs and having a combined record 10 games over .500 in 2016 and 2017 - the previous two seasons..  People were losing faith last year as to whether he could win a playoff game let alone the Grey Cup.  Things reached a crisis point at the Banjo Bowl.  Fortunately for Nichols, the defense, special teams, o-line and Andrew Harris picked up the slack for his mediocre play in the final third of 2018.  Basically Nichols managed most games.  Rarely, if ever, did we have a game in which Nichols was great.  Not what the fans like to see in a nearly $500K QB.

Edited by blueandgoldguy

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Nichols' play the last season+ probably is playing a role in lower than expected attendance.  Barely any games over 27,000 last season despite the team making the playoffs and having a combined record 10 games over .500 in 2016 and 2017 - the previous two seasons..  People were losing faith last year as to whether he could win a playoff game let alone the Grey Cup.  Things reached a crisis point at the Banjo Bowl.  Fortunately for Nichols, the defense, special teams, o-line and Andrew Harris picked up the slack for his mediocre play in the final third of 2018.  Basically Nichols managed most games.  Rarely, if ever, did we have a game in which Nichols was great.  Not what the fans like to see in a nearly $500K QB.

This thread has some good entertainment in it. I haven't thrown any gas on it. One 300 game last year doesn't leave you inspired?

25 minutes ago, Ripper said:

This thread has some good entertainment in it. I haven't thrown any gas on it. One 300 game last year doesn't leave you inspired?

Y'know what has good entertainment value? Watching your team face the prospect of going 0-3 to start the season.

RiderFun.gif

39 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Enjoy your brief moment of respite from the unfolding tragi-comedy that will be your 2019 season while you can. Another game is looming with all its pathos.

Edited by Tracker

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I was more inspired by the WSF game personally. 

The first team to win a regular season game at the New Mosaic Field: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The first team to win a playoff game at the New Mosaic Field: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Forever a part of history.

14 hours ago, J5V said:

Y'know what has good entertainment value? Watching your team face the prospect of going 0-3 to start the season.

RiderFun.gif

Don't change the subject. Thread is about Nichols and whether the stats matter. I get accused of trolling, I am not trolling this thread.  No one is touting the Riders as a cup contender, so if making fun of us with a backup qb makes you feel better about Matt, have at it

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I was more inspired by the WSF game personally. 

That Matt, he can sure beat the backup qb's from other teams, he is definitely worth 500 k a year. Are you going to win the west final this year? Is your qb'ing good enough to get it done?  That's what the thread is about

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

That Matt, he can sure beat the backup qb's from other teams, he is definitely worth 500 k a year. Are you going to win the west final this year? Is your qb'ing good enough to get it done?  That's what the thread is about

Huh... I didn't know Mike Reilly or Trevor Harris were backup QBs on their respective teams.

I don't get comparing QBs against each other. It's not like Reilly or Nichols has any impact on each other. 

Nichols has been average no doubt about it. Any qb can hand the ball off to Harris or toss a screen pass to Whitehead who then deeked out 5 guys to make the TD. 

Thankfully we have great special teams and I'd say a great defense.  So we only need Nichols to play at a C level to win most games.

If an opposing team gels and can take advantage of our defense. Then clearly Nichols is not the type to put the team on his back and win the game for us. 

For now it's good enough. 

Clearly if we had Reilly or Harris as our QB that our offense would be much better. But with the price tag they take then we wouldn't have Bighill and Jefferson. I'll take a mediocre QB and two all star defense over an all star an and a bunch of fringe players surrounding him.

Thank god a rider fan is here to keep this thread in line, heaven forbid his blessed pure soul is ever accused of trolling.... 

Ripper, touting your internet virtue and acting as a BS mod here is weak. Go back to your circle jerk site and crying about the cup being stolen from you in week one. Your QB could barely remember his own name at the start of the season and now he's wearing a helmet around the house and drinking from a sippy cup for the rest of his days. 

He's alright sometimes, but he reeks of jealousy and his sister/wife right now, and that's stinky combo.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Don't change the subject. Thread is about Nichols and whether the stats matter. I get accused of trolling, I am not trolling this thread.  No one is touting the Riders as a cup contender, so if making fun of us with a backup qb makes you feel better about Matt, have at it

We make fun of your shitty starter too, he is terrible.