Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's good because the D held repeatedly, even when the O couldn't get 1-2 first downs to kill the clock at the end of each half and turned the ball over at the end of each half handing Edmonton the ball in our territory.

Half those FG's go for TD's and we're just a team with a QB who can't make enough plays to win, or more likely we should fire the DC and cut all the DB's.  Funny how that works.

Yes if reality wasnt reality things would be different. Great observation 

14 hours ago, J5V said:

This. Streveler is too good an athlete to not be utilized more and I'm somewhat surprised that Lapo doesn't work him in more.

To me, Streveler is like a cross between Mike Reilly and Jeremiah Masoli. Tough and robust, strong arm, strong legs, lots of fire. I'd love to see what Streveler could do with the tools present on this version of our Bomber team. 

I was pretty surprised we didnt see more of hi. Either honestly. Hoping that's not a trend that continues, he needs in game, relevant reps.

Is anybody saying wins are a bad thing? Obviously not.  Winning is always good.

But if Nichols' play does not improve then the Bombers won't keep winning - or rather, at least not win the most important games.  The Bombers are a really well built team and look like they'll be in contention late in the season. They'll win games and have won plenty the past few years. They have obviously been a very successful organization that just hasn't been able to break through for the big one. They need the QB play elevated for that to happen, in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I was pretty surprised we didnt see more of hi. Either honestly. Hoping that's not a trend that continues, he needs in game, relevant reps.

For all the talk this offseason that there will be packages in games to get Streveler a meaningful number of reps over the course of the season, I’ll believe it when I see it. When the team was struggling on offence down the stretch, Streveler paradoxically got less and less time on the field. It’s hard to fathom why outside of Lapo being a stubborn mule and it hurting Nichols’ feelings. 

8 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

For all the talk this offseason that there will be packages in games to get Streveler a meaningful number of reps over the course of the season, I’ll believe it when I see it. When the team was struggling on offence down the stretch, Streveler paradoxically got less and less time on the field. It’s hard to fathom why outside of Lapo being a stubborn mule and it hurting Nichols’ feelings. 

Down the stretch I can see the reasoning. Protecting the ball was extremely important. So I  an understand it then. But why not get him some time in the 3rd q or even the 2nd when things started to unravel 

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Down the stretch I can see the reasoning. Protecting the ball was extremely important. So I  an understand it then. But why not get him some time in the 3rd q or even the 2nd when things started to unravel 

Streveler isn’t anymore reckless with the ball than Nichols. But I meant down the stretch of the season. He hardly played outside of the game he started. 

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

I'm talking strictly about Nichols play over the last 1  1/2 + seasons now.... not team play.  There is nothing wrong with the team play.  I just feel that this team isn't going to reach it's full potential with Nichols behind centre if he continues the way he's been playing the last 30 or so games.

Well, I think what some of us feel is that team play and Nichols play are not mutually exclusive.  Here's perhaps another way of looking at it:

Probably most of us agree that the leader of the offense is Andrew Harris and not Nichols.  He's more the guy who gets a lot of the offensive weight put on his shoulder whether it's by design or not.  This last game he had a bad one, and hence why our offense couldn't get consistency going.

To follow up on that, there are some QBs who have been great because they took the full weight of the team on their shoulders and made ridiculous throws to get wins.  Damon Allen and Anthony Calvillo for example.  Then there are those who aren't necessarily that great but can either rack up consistent wins because they make the basic dink and dunk throws and get the job done.  Some rack up a lot of yards in the process while others like Nichols are in a more run heavy offense.

With a QB like Nichols, no you probably wouldn't stick the full weight on his shoulders with second hand talent and force him to win it on his lonesome.  But that's not the way this offense is designed, and even if he's not a Houdini needle threading playmaker, he makes enough of the throws we need to score TDs and win.

So in other words, he's not the sole catalyst in winning, but he's been a key contributor and not the so called dead weight that certain stupid posters constantly ***** about.

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler would put more bums in the seats of the stadium.  

Pretty sure wins by either QB will bring more people in.

I also think you're giving the allure of Streveler more credit then it's due... I'd imagine the casual fan has no clue who he even is..

Edited by SPuDS

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Pretty sure wins by either QB will bring more people in.

I also think you're giving the allure of Streveler more credit then it's due... I'd imagine the casual fan has no clue who he even is..

I'm basing it on all the casual fans I have been listening to when I am out an about.  The general consensus is that Nichols is boring and not that fun to watch play,  then they always end with hoping they get to streveler play again sometime soon.   

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I'm basing it on all the casual fans I have been listening to when I am out an about.  The general consensus is that Nichols is boring and not that fun to watch play,  then they always end with hoping they get to streveler play again sometime soon.   

Let’s face it. Your scientific approach is immune to criticism.  Not only are you out and about listening to casual fans, you’ve able to identify that your study reveals a consensus that Nichols is boring and not fun to watch. Then your sample size of casual fans additionally always determine and end up hoping that Streveler gets to play soon. 

Professor, you’ve performed a remarkable task of obtaining hard statistical evidence that reflects exactly what you have been spouting for a over a year. 

54 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

WTF are you talking about? You're delusional.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wins, that's the key. Weve been able to celebrate more wins then any other other team except Calgary since Nichols started....just a coincidence I guess.

and has nothing to do with Andrew Harris having been the best back in the league for the last 3 years??  I point back to Nichols best season, in 2017.  105 receptions by Harris.  Lots of QB's could be successful throwing dump passes to a workhorse like Harris!  Once teams started to key in on that type of a play, Nichols play has dropped off, and so has Harris' receiving yards.  With the weapons we have on the squad today, you need a Quarterback that is able to extend plays with his legs and allow time for our deep threats to get open.  That's how this team will become a dominant force in 2019 in my opinion!

9 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

and has nothing to do with Andrew Harris having been the best back in the league for the last 3 years??  I point back to Nichols best season, in 2017.  105 receptions by Harris.  Lots of QB's could be successful throwing dump passes to a workhorse like Harris!  Once teams started to key in on that type of a play, Nichols play has dropped off, and so has Harris' receiving yards.  With the weapons we have on the squad today, you need a Quarterback that is able to extend plays with his legs and allow time for our deep threats to get open.  That's how this team will become a dominant force in 2019 in my opinion!

Two things... 1. Both our guards & center have to give Nichols better blocking. We're soft up the middle. That was where the Esks rush was penetrating hurrying Nichols.  2. We're a run first offense with Harris. That's LaPo's  philosophy so why are you blaming Nichols for that? LaPo calls the plays.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Two things... 1. Both our guards & center have to give Nichols better blocking. We're soft up the middle. That was where the Esks rush was penetrating hurrying Nichols.  2. We're a run first offense with Harris. That's LaPo's  philosophy so why are you blaming Nichols for that? LaPo calls the plays.

there have been plenty of times over the last year where Nichols has had open receivers downfield, but panics and throws it away or dumps it off 2 yards.  It's been happening for a long time.   Anyways... let's see how he plays the next few weeks, it's not like O'Shea is going to pull the plug on him anytime soon.

51 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Ah those casual fans who are not happy  while gorging on the horn of plenty. Maybe you're talking to the wrong crowd. Try those across the street who are walking in the sun. 

How well did Streveler do when given a bone-head play to execute on a second and short? 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wins, that's the key. Weve been able to celebrate more wins then any other other team except Calgary since Nichols started....just a coincidence I guess.

But it still comes down to the fact that we have as many Grey Cup appearances as we had when he got here. Not all his fault, but reality is reality and won't go away.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

But it still comes down to the fact that we have as many Grey Cup appearances as we had when he got here. Not all his fault, but reality is reality and won't go away.

The WSF last season was almost exclusively his fault. Lapo didn’t help but it was an all time poor playoff QB performance. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They tried to win on the backs of Harris while the stamps D took that away. Lapo failed hard bringing the rider game plan against a much better team.

Absolutely. Bad gameplan, without a doubt. And Lapo never strays from his plan which is his second worst quality behind the way he calls a game with a two touchdown lead. However, there were plays to be made in that game and Nichols completed 46% of his passes  on 32 throws. That’s pathetic and not on Lapo. Guarantee you that having Nichols as his QB makes Lapo terrified to make a gameplan that doesn’t heavily feature Harris. 

Edited by AKAChip

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Absolutely. Bad gameplan, without a doubt. And Lapo never strays from his plan which is his second worst quality behind the way he calls a game with a two touchdown lead. However, there were plays to be made in that game and Nichols completed 46% of his passes  on 32 throws. That’s pathetic and not on Lapo. Guarantee you that having Nichols as his QB makes Lapo terrified to make a gameplan that doesn’t heavily feature Harris. 

Pretty much says it all that you're on a witch hunt with a manufactured crisis