Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

In the two games so far he has tucked the ball and looked frantically to run with out extreme pressure. In the past when nichols has played well he has done a great job of knowing when to take a sack, and when he can throw it away.  Some thing is a miss, but to be fair, the middle of our OL has a hand full of games in their careers. 

He was good over all in week 1. Rusty early but he didnt take many snaps in preseason. Last year he seemingly came back from injury early and had several bad games as well. Its not a 1 game thing. 

The offense disappearing for quarters and half's on end has been an issue since day 1 of plops return. 

A QB's job isn't to "take a sack", sacks have the potential to derail or end  QB careers in a multitude of ways and Nichols knows this based on his own injury history and that of every other vet. QB in the league.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

A QB's job isn't to "take a sack", sacks have the potential to derail or end  QB careers in a multitude of ways and Nichols knows this based on his own injury history and that of every other vet. QB in the league.

It is some times. There are times when its too risky to throw away the ball and you have to eat a sack. Nichols has done it in the past. Injuries dont change that fact. Some times an end comes free or a center whiffs and you have to protect the ball and limit the damage you take in a sack not risk trying to throw it away. 

1 hour ago, Chevy said:

Never was and never will be a nichols fan. He has done nothing in my opinion to prove his worth to this team. O'shea bares some of the blame for letting him continue playing still while doing absolutely nothing. Just saying.

Image result for there it is the dumbest thing i'll read all day

2 minutes ago, Yourface said:

Nichols is BAD -- definitely not a championship calibre QB. One of the most immobile QBs to ever have walked the face of the Earth.

Some of the throws he makes, I wonder how he ever made it pro.

Aaaaand I spoke too soon.

3 minutes ago, Yourface said:

Are you saying MATT NICHOLS is a championship calibre quarterback?? Sorry to break it to you but a Grey Cup will never be within reach with Mr. Game Manager at the helm.

Wait and see. Come on....Yourface, open your mind a little.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Our offence was 3 big plays and a big penalty. 1 of the big plays was a good throw by Nichols, the other 2 were all Whitehead and Demski.

Nichols got more than half his yards on 2 throws, only one of which was a good throw.

Passing yards aren't meaningless. What you're really saying is it's OK because we won.

Folks are comparing QB play, not who won. If Nichols was on Edmonton last night, they would have still lost, had less yards passing and wouldn't have even been as close as they were. If Harris was on Winnipeg last night, we'd have won anyway, likely by more.

Football is often about big plays.  It's sort of the whole point.  The argument might as well be "if we hadn't scored enough points, we would have lost". 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Our offence was 3 big plays and a big penalty. 1 of the big plays was a good throw by Nichols, the other 2 were all Whitehead and Demski.

Nichols got more than half his yards on 2 throws, only one of which was a good throw.

Passing yards aren't meaningless. What you're really saying is it's OK because we won.

Folks are comparing QB play, not who won. If Nichols was on Edmonton last night, they would have still lost, had less yards passing and wouldn't have even been as close as they were. If Harris was on Winnipeg last night, we'd have won anyway, likely by more.

No they would have won he passed for 3 touchdowns, that's 21 points.

Nice try though.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I dont care about stats but 384 yds passing in the CFL in 2 games is pretty friggin brutal

Why isn’t the way our offence is designed taken into consideration? We just might have the most complete balanced attack in the league.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

He makes enough big plays during the game to get the job done.

That’s right. When that stops happening, then we can say huh..

3 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

And his passing yards are meaningless.

But aren’t they exciting? And Harris is an elite QB. Don’t forget that. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think what some of us are saying about Nichols is theres lots of room for improvement in his play.. 

I'm sorry, but the guy is in his 7th (1 full season lost to injury in 2013) season as a pro.  At what point do you say "maybe this is as good as it gets?".

His play has largely regressed since halfway through the 2017 season, and I know the wins are there... but why do we as a fan base continue to celebrate mediocrity!?  This team has so much potential this season, and if they are going to stand by mediocre QB play like they did last season, unfortunately I think we're all in for a disappointing end to the season.

That said, it's still very early, and maybe Matt does turn it on.  I'd love to see it.  However, I just don't believe it's going to happen, because his play has been mediocre at best for the last season and a half!  I predicted pre-season that Streveler would be our starter by mid August, and after last night, I stand by that prediction!  And if I'm wrong, and the Blue keep winning, well then even better!  I don't mind being wrong if I'm watching our team win with good QB play!

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I got no use for people who show up only to ***** about players or coaches. You want to have a discussion fine, but this isn't the CJOB post game show where people get to just throw out their shitty stupid opinions without being called out on it. 

It kinda is though.. You are just the mean version of Bob.

1 hour ago, Yourface said:

Are you saying MATT NICHOLS is a championship calibre quarterback?? Sorry to break it to you but a Grey Cup will never be within reach with Mr. Game Manager at the helm.

WTF?  

have you checked the bomber history of QBs that have won greycups?  a few of them were "game managers" and some of them pretty ****, but the defence carried the day.

Is Nichols better then Bo? No.   Better then Colaros, Davis, Adams, Pipkin, Masoli and HArris.. yes. 

Sorry,. I wouldn't replace Nichols withone other then Bo, and i'm not sure i would take the Cap Hit of 700k for him either. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I think Nichols would of helped his image had he been able to put together a few drives in the 4th quarter and if he wasn't so easy to turtle up and shut down with the slightest pressure.    

Well.. MR in BC did the same thing last week against the same Defence but couldn't put any points up.. Nichols Scored 3 tds. 

so