3 stars + HH week3 eskynogo

wbbfan

9 hours ago, White Out said:

Harris with maybe his worst game as a Bomber and we still pulled it out. 

Nichols had a great 1st half and a pretty awful 4th. Gotta wonder about our play calling. 

Harris has a shakey game once a year it seems. That was bad even by those standards. I expect a big turn around from him next week. He seemed soo mad at him self. Hes still the heart and soul of our team.

Nichols wasnt great in the first half, but he was alot better through a quarter and a half then late in the game. Our offense hasnt been able to find its rhythm early and thats some thing the coaching staff have to address and correct. Thats all preparation. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Idr calgary winning many like last night. Also we should have won that game easily. Its not like the team played poor in all aspects and eeked one out. We had a good lead for most of the game and then tried our best to choke at the end. 

Well, in terms of a game of similar fashion... how about the Stamps almost-collapse against us back on September 24, 2016? Parades hit a 52-yarder with under a minute left after the Bombers stormed back in the second half, they were up 30-14 heading to the 4th and almost choked.

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

Well, in terms of a game of similar fashion... how about the Stamps almost-collapse against us back on September 24, 2016? Parades hit a 52-yarder with under a minute left after the Bombers stormed back in the second half, they were up 30-14 heading to the 4th and almost choked.

Thats a good comparison. Though I feel like even then calgary was executing much cleaner while winning then we did. Last night seemed like we were on the ropes right after we scored the 2nd td till the end. Could be grass being greener on the other side. Or the veneer of a dynasty making their play seem better then it was. Or the expectation. I expect calgary to beat every one. And I expected us to play better last night. 

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

In week 1 folks told me it was easy to get 300 yards if you get close to 100 on 2 throws. Nichols got 115 on two throws and just barely managed 200 yards.

Actually, people told you that 300 yards passing wasn't the be all and end all of having a good game.

Evidenced once again last night. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

In week 1 folks told me it was easy to get 300 yards if you get close to 100 on 2 throws. Nichols got 115 on two throws and just barely managed 200 yards.

I suspect even Nichols knows he did not have a great night.

We are going to win some games we should have lost and we're going to lose some games we should have won. All that matters is that we get hot at the end of the season and win us a championship.

All the talk about who did what and who should have done this or that is just that, talk. At the end of the day winning is all that matters and we won.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:
  1. Lucky - The two biggest plays of the game
  2. Demski - Big play #3
  3. Jeffcoat - Had to go with someone on the DL.

HH - The Challenge refs back at head office for getting the PI right after the challenge and getting the catch and fumble wrong after Edmonton's challenge.

How do you figure they got the catch and fumble wrong?  In slow-mo, it may have looked like he had the ball in his possession for quite a while, but in real-time he barely touched the ground and was hit immediately after that and lost the ball.  That's an incomplete pass every day of the week.

You have to look at the penalty yards Edmonton accumulated.    We gained huge amounts of field off of those penalties that don’t get reflected in offensive stats  

You could make the argument of Edmonton didn’t try to cheat so much, our stats would look better.     Or our offensive would have sputtered and not put up the points without the penalties.   One of the two. 

generally on a reception if you don't secure the ball after the first initially contact it's an incomplete...especially when the receiver has not secured it and commenced advancement....if he had maybe secured and took a step they "could" have ruled it a fumble but that one was obvious

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

How do you figure they got the catch and fumble wrong?  In slow-mo, it may have looked like he had the ball in his possession for quite a while, but in real-time he barely touched the ground and was hit immediately after that and lost the ball.  That's an incomplete pass every day of the week.

I thought it was a catch and fumble but I only saw it on the big screen and probably only once. 

25 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Actually, people told you that 300 yards passing wasn't the be all and end all of having a good game.

Evidenced once again last night. 

That's only part of what folks said. They also said 300 wasn't that hard to get when you get 100 in 2 throws.

Nichols 200 yards wasn't a big reason that we won the game. His first TD to Lucky was a good throw. His second TD to lucky was a poor throw followed by a great play by Whitehead to turn a 3 yard gain into a big TD. Demski's TD had nothing to do with Nichols. Our last TD was because of a penalty on the 5 yard line on a short throw. Nichols gets the win again, but he was just the QB of record again last night.

19 minutes ago, Sard said:

IMO and Dunigan's he caught the ball, hit the ground with both feet, and then had the ball popped out by a hit. That's a catch and a fumble in my book and it would have been a catch/fumble in most folks around here's book if we had recovered the fumble.

36 minutes ago, JCon said:

I thought it was a catch and fumble but I only saw it on the big screen and probably only once. 

Catch and fumble is kind of a grey zone. Its easier to judge a sideline catch then a catch and fumble. Imo if you get one foot down, secure the ball, and survive initial contact it should be a catch. But even that leaves a lot on judgement. 

At first watch I thought it was a catch and fumble. Watching the slow mo, I thought the same. Watching game speed replay didnt look like he secured it. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, Rich said:

You have to look at the penalty yards Edmonton accumulated.    We gained huge amounts of field off of those penalties that don’t get reflected in offensive stats  

You could make the argument of Edmonton didn’t try to cheat so much, our stats would look better.     Or our offensive would have sputtered and not put up the points without the penalties.   One of the two. 

Notice how Maas did not get that upset with the R.T.P. penalties the Esks took last week against Reilly maybe because they were ahead in the game.  He became infuriated last night when they took a few costly shots at Nichols and quickly put a stop to it.

50 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nope. What you were told was that a 300 yard game was not an indicator that a QB played well.

300 is a big number in the US game when they used to throw the ball 20-25 times a game. 

Its like 1500 yards rushing in a season it doesnt actually mean any thing in it self. Its just another number.

However I would be interested to see the splits on W/L for teams with passing yards in the 350 and 400 range, 2 and 3 td passes, And a completion percentage over 70%. 

I feel like they would all be very close with a spike in win rate at 400, 3 or over 70%. If you looked similarly at 200 passing yards, under 300 total offensive yards, more punt yards then yards gained, 1 or less td passes, or and a completion percentage 50% or lower I think the result would be obvious. 

We won despite poor yardage production by the offense. We need better production for repeatable wins. Some factors are bigger then others, but its not a 1 dimensional problem. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nichols definitely did not play well yesterday. 

I think our Wrs and tackles played well. Interior ol didnt play bad. But the rest of the offense and the offense over all struggled. A lot of players didnt play well. 

Obviously whitehead and mathews looked great when the ball went there way. But the wrs blocking especially on whiteheads screen was great. 

its on the coaches now to get better execution and use better strategy and tactics. And for the players who had rough games (and thats a fist full of guys) to play better. I expect that to happen next game. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think people are forgetting that EDM came into town hot, and we had the awkward scheduling blip of a W2 bye... alot of the mistakes last night were related to execution .. which should be patched up once we get a few more games under our belt.

This is a good point, we have historically struggled coming off a bye week in this era. 

Edited by wbbfan

4 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think people are forgetting that EDM came into town hot, and we had the awkward scheduling blip of a W2 bye... alot of the mistakes last night were related to execution .. which should be patched up once we get a few more games under our belt.

It is a legit point 

15 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Lapolice - called some good plays with Whitehead and Demski, but called his old play not to lose ones again too

What the hell was that stupid play call on second and short??  Throw the ball or let Strevs try and break one like he sometimes does going around the end, but flipping it back to poor old Lucky in the back-field?  That was a huge momo killer.  Everything was going our way at that point.  I don't get it sometimes with Lapo.