GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You're confusing wins with how well a QB plays.

Reilly was 36/42, 85.7%  for 354 yards with 2 TD's and 0 Ints last night. That's great QBing.

Half his receiving core is hot garbage...  basically has two targets

Edited by Floyd

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You're confusing wins with how well a QB plays.

Reilly was 36/42, 85.7%  for 354 yards with 2 TD's and 0 Ints last night. That's great QBing.

No I'm not. I'm saying Reilly is a good qb, because he can obviously move the ball well enough. He is not a great qb, and hasnt been for at least the better part of a year, due to the fact that he doesnt do whatever is needed to win football games. Good qb yes, great no.

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

No I'm not. I'm saying Reilly is a good qb, because he can obviously move the ball well enough. He is not a great qb, and hasnt been for at least the better part of a year, due to the fact that he doesnt do whatever is needed to win football games. Good qb yes, great no.

Um, ok. There really isn’t a nice way to tell you how ridiculous this thought is so I will say only this. Was Peyton Manning merely a good QB during the seasons the colts missed the playoffs? He must have only been great during the seasons they made the playoffs. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. I guess he was never great either. Football is a team sport. Many great players play on bad teams. The Eskimo defence was laughably terrible last season, I guess that’s Mike Reilly’s fault too. Reilly completed 67% of his passes for 5500 yards and 30 TDs in a down year for him but because his team missed the playoffs and Nichols’ and Collaros’ teams made it that somehow makes him not great? Give me a break. If you throw for nearly 400 yards and two TDs and complete over 80% of your passes and still lose, maybe look at another part of the team for blame. 

Edited by AKAChip

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Reilly played great and didn't win. 85.7% completions doesn't jive with 'teams have figured him out'. 350+ yards doesn't jive with 'obviously not moving the ball well enough'. None of his stats jive with 'not doing enough to win football games'.

Reilly is doing enough, but last night his his special teams couldn't stop an onside kick, his defence couldn't stop a backup QB from scoring twice in the last couple of minutes and his HC went for 7 when he could have easily taken 3 at the end of the half. Change any of that, none of which have anything to do with the way Reilly played, and the Lions win.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Again... that's got nothing to do with QB play.

I feel like your permanently damaged by the flak you take here - if you need a hug, I’m here for you bro

I was agreeing with your point but now you’ve managed to lose me - receivers have everything to do with QB performance 

If Reilly is throwing to walker instead of carter late in the game - they win 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I feel like your permanently damaged by the flak you take here - if you need a hug, I’m here for you bro

I was agreeing with your point but now you’ve managed to lose me - receivers have everything to do with QB performance 

If Reilly is throwing to walker instead of carter late in the game - they win 

Sorry if I misinterpreted. 

If Reilly was throwing to Walker they likely win but that's receiver performance, not QB performance.

58 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You forgot to include his late fumble that basically iced the game. That belongs on the stat line, too.

.... and 1 fumble when when the DL got to him in the throwing motion.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Reilly played great and didn't win. 85.7% completions doesn't jive with 'teams have figured him out'. 350+ yards doesn't jive with 'obviously not moving the ball well enough'. None of his stats jive with 'not doing enough to win football games'.

Reilly is doing enough, but last night his his special teams couldn't stop an onside kick, his defence couldn't stop a backup QB from scoring twice in the last couple of minutes and his HC went for 7 when he could have easily taken 3 at the end of the half. Change any of that, none of which have anything to do with the way Reilly played, and the Lions win.

Your bias is showing. I never mentioned he couldn't move the ball. Not winning the game, shows he didnt do what a great qb would have. I can guarantee he feels the same.

I see it as a team game and wins are a culmitave result of what is working for the team in each game to win.

Nichols and others on offence are being toned down to so what's needed to win..and nothing more..nothing fancy or gaudy stats wise as that's what they are being told to do..more or less.

Recal 3 yrs ago..Nichols was putting up fancy stats..good yardage and consistant 30+ points games..and we lost a lot..and he played more wide open cause we had to..

If your winning..and utilizing your great run game..and tough defense then why risk turnovers and the chance to let a team get back in the game just to fatten the stats line and appease fans and critics??

And people can go back to the last playoff game and say yeah but hey..we didnt produce points when it mattered..well playoff ball is a different beast..weather has effect and a lot of that blame has to go on Lapo..for all his good traits he needs to grow a pair and not coordinate like a Nancy Boy and "hope" to not make any errors..that's wherein lies the issue.. and regardless right now..we are winning..the formula is working and as the season progresses our defense is gonna get better and allow us to win more often than not most games where we put up 23..25 points..so why play stupid? 

5 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Um, ok. There really isn’t a nice way to tell you how ridiculous this thought is so I will say only this. Was Peyton Manning merely a good QB during the seasons the colts missed the playoffs? He must have only been great during the seasons they made the playoffs. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. I guess he was never great either. Football is a team sport. Many great players play on bad teams. The Eskimo defence was laughably terrible last season, I guess that’s Mike Reilly’s fault too. Reilly completed 67% of his passes for 5500 yards and 30 TDs in a down year for him but because his team missed the playoffs and Nichols’ and Collaros’ teams made it that somehow makes him not great? Give me a break. If you throw for nearly 400 yards and two TDs and complete over 80% of your passes and still lose, maybe look at another part of the team for blame. 

Remember that time 5+ years into Peyton's career when he missed the playoffs....? Do you? Do you remember that year? No...you dont. Because he is a great qb who didnt miss the playoffs.

For me the difference between good and great, is lifting your team to win when they shouldn't have. When you didnt really have the best team, even when you had to make up for other parts of your team due to lack of talent. Reilly did that years ago. He no longer is....he was great,he is now good. That will change to mediocre if the losing continues.

This is just my opinion. It's fine if you're ok with QBs who dont win. That's perfectly acceptable. I just like when the qb I cheer for wins more then he loses.

Edited by Bigblue204

14 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Your bias is showing. I never mentioned he couldn't move the ball. Not winning the game, shows he didnt do what a great qb would have. I can guarantee he feels the same.

Actually it's your bias that's showing. You're still equating QB play and wins as if they are the same thing. Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat. Reilly did more than enough to win. He had a great game. His team lost the game. I'd bet he looks at the 2 or 3 plays he could have done better and wishes he had a do over so his team could win. That's how good QB's see the game.

57 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Actually it's your bias that's showing. You're still equating QB play and wins as if they are the same thing. Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat. Reilly did more than enough to win. He had a great game. His team lost the game. I'd bet he looks at the 2 or 3 plays he could have done better and wishes he had a do over so his team could win. That's how good QB's see the game.

I'm sorry that I like QBs who win football games. Like I said, it's ok if you dont. We just have different standards/preferences. 

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm sorry that I like QBs who win football games. Like I said, it's ok if you dont. We just have different standards/preferences. 

You're still mistaking wins for a QB stat. FTR: Nichols didn't win the game, the rest of the team did. He's just the QB of record on most of his wins.