GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I wasn't feeling too good after the win last night but I'm feeling better now. 

What I saw was a team that seem to dominate at almost all aspects against a very good team but didn't couldn't pull away and made key mistakes. 

What I saw was Nichols not utilizing the weapons he has. One shot downfield, which was very (very) successful but then seem to ignore his big play receivers. I know he's a protect the ball first type QB, which is partially why he's been so successful here, but he's never had this talent around him. Why not stretch the field more? The play calls seem to open up the receivers all over the field but he seem to only look out to the outside for short gains, especially on 2nd and long. I'm frustrated but I think I just need to get over it. A win is a win is a win. 

Thanks MBB for putting my head back on straight. 

Edit: Two throws downfield. Forgot the Matthews catch that was called back. 

Edit 2: I took Tarsky as my lock pick, so I could be grumpy that he didn't get a TD. 

In retrospect the offence performed similar (as poorly) in many ways to what we saw against the Stamps in the WF last season, the difference appears to be the performance of Whitehead turning two nothing plays into miraculous TD's.  Fair to say without Lucky, they lose this game.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

First thing first...a sign of a good team is when you still win parts of team playing sub par...which we did...Offence seemed to be out of sync all game save for some great individual plays by some guys. Not very often Harris fumbles and loses the ball twice in a game, let alone twice in a year.

Not sure whats up with Fenner, is it scheme or is it ability but he is better than that, that being said I see why we kept Rios around and not too worried about defense as a whole, they are needing some gel time and the d-line hasn't revved up yet but allowing only what..1 offensive T.D in 2 games against Reilly and Harris while not firing on all cylinders makes you just be giddy thinking of what they will do when they are firing on all cylinders.

Jefferson though no fancy stats yet is a disruptive force and what he does out there, and attention he draws allows others to make plays...also he is seeing a lot of doubles and line play schemed to take him out of making big time plays...but either way it still benefits the defense as a whole.

And as Mike mentioned...it's not about luck making the stops

The only thing I don’t like about Fenner are the penalties.  As the field corner in this scheme he’s doing his job, which is staying on top of outside breaking routes, deep routes and playing more aggressive on routes breaking into the field, digs, posts etc.  If teams want to throw a 45 yard pass for a 4 yard gain this scheme will allow it all day.  If anything Fenner needs to be less physical as the field corner to cut down on those IC calls...can be more physical inside.

For those interested there are several blog posts floating around that explain Hall’s basic scheme and coverages in great detail with video.

1 hour ago, davidjh141 said:

2-0 is great, but there's no way we shouldn't have some concerns about a complete inability to move the ball offensively. 

A repeat of the 2018 West Final written all over our offense again. Were going to have to be more productive than that to win a Grey Cup.

You are right, the Bombers did not win the Grey Cup last night.  Since you obviously know that the trophy would have been awarded if Nichols had passed for more yardage, then I am glad that he didn't.  This way we get to watch the rest of the CFL schedule this year.  I find it highly entertaining.

4 minutes ago, MC said:

You are right, the Bombers did not win the Grey Cup last night.  Since you obviously know that the trophy would have been awarded if Nichols had passed for more yardage, then I am glad that he didn't.  This way we get to watch the rest of the CFL schedule this year.  I find it highly entertaining.

I don't know, it would have been a pretty sweet victory tour around the league this year. Personally, I would have enjoyed my trip to Regina far more for Labour Day if we carried the GC onto the field. 

47 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The only thing I don’t like about Fenner are the penalties.  As the field corner in this scheme he’s doing his job, which is staying on top of outside breaking routes, deep routes and playing more aggressive on routes breaking into the field, digs, posts etc.  If teams want to throw a 45 yard pass for a 4 yard gain this scheme will allow it all day.  If anything Fenner needs to be less physical as the field corner to cut down on those IC calls...can be more physical inside.

For those interested there are several blog posts floating around that explain Hall’s basic scheme and coverages in great detail with video.

agree completely, he has taken way way too many penalties and I can't see O'Shea standing for that. tones it down he'll be OK, but right now that's a killer. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It came up in another thread (or this one maybe) last night. I dont recall the moes even taking a shot to the end zone last night. When I re watch the game Im gonna dig into those redzone attempts. Between their attempts and our D the red zone was a no fly zone last night for the moes. 

In the past when weve seen qbs wrack up yards and not be able to finish drives (not far back) Ive felt that we could have done better with play call and design. But ive always given more blame to offense then credit to a defense in the cfl for redzone struggle. With the width of the field, depth of the endzone, and number of targets and options I feel like you should be able to convert at a high rate even against a superior D. 

I think I remember one throw into the endzone by Edmonton, but it was at least 5 yards away from the receiver so no chance to catch it.  I could be recalling incorrectly though.  Either way, the Bomber D did a great job of taking that option away all night.

21 minutes ago, Sard said:

I think I remember one throw into the endzone by Edmonton, but it was at least 5 yards away from the receiver so no chance to catch it.  I could be recalling incorrectly though.  Either way, the Bomber D did a great job of taking that option away all night.

Yeah not 100% sure, but if they did like you say it wasnt any threat to score. Will have to see on a second viewing. Yeah they did. They really stood tall in the red zone. 

7 hours ago, davidjh141 said:

Issue I have is that in reality were more lucky than anything that EDM doesn't score TD's on some of those drives. Holding them to 7 field goals and countless drive killing drops by EDM receivers is a complete fluke, and I wouldn't count on that happening again in the playoffs. 

In a higher scoring game Nichols cant go shot for shot with Harris, BLM, Reilly, or Masoli. Its going to be extremely difficult winning consecutive playoff games when your QB can barely break 200 yards passing and the elite QBs are nearly doubling that. Odds are that the extra yards will lead to touchdowns in the long run.

Happy with the win, but we were extremely lucky to win last night.

Agreed. How many times do you win when the other team doubles you in first downs and over 10+ minutes in TOP. Moving forward, Nichols needs to hit open guys, Harris needs to stop fumbling, Alexander + Fenner need to stop playing 10 yards off receivers and taking penalties. Ugly game but were 2-0 and that's all that matters.......Until next week.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

18 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Apparently throwing 10 yard out patterns all the way down the field while down by two scores and ending with 7 field goals gets you lots of passing yards and losses.

Who woulda thunk.

You make me laugh. Trevor Harris is so much better than Nichols it's not even a debate.

Edited by Yourface

3 hours ago, Booch said:

I watched Exume on all the coverage plays and he is good...he may not got the stats, but he was being watched...and he help his lanes and forced returners into the teeth of the coverage...mission accomplished on teams and whats supposed to happen

But how many yards did he pass for?

3 hours ago, Booch said:

I watched Exume on all the coverage plays and he is good...he may not got the stats, but he was being watched...and he help his lanes and forced returners into the teeth of the coverage...mission accomplished on teams and whats supposed to happen

I've got an old Clint Kent jersey that I'll need to pull out of the closet thanks to the resurrection of #41... Luckily it's royal blue from when the team was wearing the 80s throwbacks...

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. How many times do you win when the other team doubles you in first downs and over 10+ minutes in TOP. Moving forward, Nichols needs to hit open guys, Harris needs to stop fumbling, Alexander + Fenner need to stop playing 10 yards off receivers and taking penalties. Ugly game but were 2-0 and that's all that matters.......Until next week.

I don't think this is something we need to worry about.. it was an uncharacteristically poor ball handling game for Harris.... he's gonna tear Ottawa apart next week...

Okay, I'm late posting my 2 cents' worth, but here goes anyways. Nichols was far from good last night but I am willing to cut him a bit of slack due to new receivers and a two weeks' layoff, but the next game he has to do waaay better. His throwing mechanics were off and he appeared indecisive at times. He's a veteran who is supposed to lead by action and example. Adams and Matthews were non-factors for whatever reasons- that has to change. Fenner was a disaster, time and time again- he has no excuses. Bighill has had better games. The Bombers looked like they were trying their damnedest to give the game to the Esks and the Esks were  doing their damnedest to not accept it.

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Less that 5 times out of 100 according to an expected win formula I ran that includes net offense, turnovers and TOP based on last night's game.

It was created for American Football but I think it transfers to Canadian Football.

It's actually incredible the Bombers didn't give up a TD last night.  3 Edmonton drives started on the Bombers side of midfield and one started at the Bombers 20.

5 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Since it’s not getting any more productive, I’ll shut up about Nichols for awhile after this post. That being said, if any of you are genuinely satisfied by that Nichols performance and think that if he continues to play that way that the Bombers can beat the legitimately good teams in the CFL consistently, I don’t know what to tell you. The Eskimos are bad and Maas is clearly terrified to take any chances with Harris as their QB. It’s hard to fathom watching Nichols play last night and being convinced that everything is fine because he leads the CFL in “QB efficiency”

Where would you rate him among all CFL QBs? I have him 4th behind Bo, Mike, and Jeremiah. 

5 hours ago, gcn11 said:

No he didn't....and it won't be the last time either. However, I cannot think of a single player EVER that played great football every game.

Except for this guy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdC6M7AjYYuGdJ1eocIu9

15 minutes ago, J5V said:

Where would you rate him among all CFL QBs? I have him 4th behind Bo, Mike, and Jeremiah. 

He’s worse than Harris too, but Harris is still bad. Everyone else is either absolutely terrible or broken. Sad state of QBing in the CFL right now. That being said, while I am not convinced that Streveler is the surefire answer, he would without a doubt be at least as effective as Nichols.