GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wasn't feeling too good after the win last night but I'm feeling better now. 

What I saw was a team that seem to dominate at almost all aspects against a very good team but didn't couldn't pull away and made key mistakes. 

What I saw was Nichols not utilizing the weapons he has. One shot downfield, which was very (very) successful but then seem to ignore his big play receivers. I know he's a protect the ball first type QB, which is partially why he's been so successful here, but he's never had this talent around him. Why not stretch the field more? The play calls seem to open up the receivers all over the field but he seem to only look out to the outside for short gains, especially on 2nd and long. I'm frustrated but I think I just need to get over it. A win is a win is a win. 

Thanks MBB for putting my head back on straight. 

Edit: Two throws downfield. Forgot the Matthews catch that was called back. 

Edit 2: I took Tarsky as my lock pick, so I could be grumpy that he didn't get a TD. 

I'm thinking Matty doesn't like to go downfield very often because he doesn't want to throw the game away.  He doesn't trust his own arm.

yup...this game is totally gonna help us morph into a more explosive group...bona fide threat now with at least 3 receivers, plus the Harris factor

Other thing of note...Kyrie Wilson in no way shape or form is going to have us miss JSK...He is a baller..always around the ball and scary thought..is gonna get better...guy is solid as solid can be

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup...this game is totally gonna help us morph into a more explosive group...bona fide threat now with at least 3 receivers, plus the Harris factor

Other thing of note...Kyrie Wilson in no way shape or form is going to have us miss JSK...He is a baller..always around the ball and scary thought..is gonna get better...guy is solid as solid can be

Before he got hurt in the BC game Wilson was all over the place, including showing great speed tracking down Burnham on a long pass. That guy is going to be a good one for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

this game was probably an eye opener now for many DC's...Lucky has established himself as a serious threat and will have to have attention payed to him and defeses converge on him as if he gets the smallest if openings..he could be gone...this is going to really open up things for others (especially Adams and Matthews) and we are going to be able to stretch more now with one on ones, and run more deeper layered routes...

The TD pass to Harris the Esk dline bit really hard on the Whitehead coming across the backfield.

11 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The TD pass to Harris the Esk dline bit really hard on the Whitehead coming across the backfield.

They did.

Streveler comes in those situations a fair bit as well.So on those sets you are worrying about:

The hand off to Harris

The end around to Whitehead

Harris out of the back field 

Streveler running

Matthews, Adams, Wolitsrsky, Demski running around the endzone 

Good luck

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Before he got hurt in the BC game Wilson was all over the place, including showing great speed tracking down Burnham on a long pass. That guy is going to be a good one for sure. 

At this point I dont think we have any drop off from JSK to wilson. I didnt see much I liked from wilson previous to this year. But he has stepped up in a big way. 

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

He is soo fast and soo strong its scary. I want to see him used off the edge and in some other specialty blitz packages. With his speed if you can create an angle to the QB for him its all over. 

14 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Teams from now on are going to be scheming for him every week. He could open up a lot for us. Pump fake the screen pass to whitehead and hit a deep man over the top of him all day. 

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

Love what Kyrie Wilson is showing.

He is fast and brings smoke on tackles.

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Love what Kyrie Wilson is showing.

He is fast and brings smoke on tackles.

I as well as others had zero concern in FA when we lost JSK...and my belief we would be even better as I seen Wilson as a more athletic player...which he has showed already..and he will get better...I also think once he gets more established and comfortable he is actually gonna make Biggie even more successful...now whoda thunk that eh?

He (Wilson) already has 9 defensive tackles for the season and that is after missing last part of game one..so obviously has shown a knack for making plays

Edited by Booch

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

Exume with only one special teams tackle. He peaked early and his career is on the decline. 

I followed him on 2 special teams plays where he did not make the tackle. He was very much in the hunt, but sometimes the play just isn't there. I'll tell you something though...he has a hell of a motor and a great nose for the play. As a previous poster said, he sure looks like a future Safety in the making.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

1 minute ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I followed him on 2 special teams plays where he did not make the tackle. He was very much in the hunt, but sometimes the play just isn't there. I'll tell you one thing though...he has a hell of a motor and a great nose for the play.

They did a great job of containing Jackson. Basically stopped him in his tracks and stayed in front of him. Seems everyone got at least one tackle. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I as well as others had zero concern in FA when we lost JSK...and my belief we would be even better as I seen Wilson as a more athletic player...which he has showed already..and he will get better...I also think once he gets more established and comfortable he is actually gonna make Biggie even more successful...now whoda thunk that eh?

He (Wilson) already has 9 defensive tackles for the season and that is after missing last part of game one..so obviously has shown a knack for making plays

I was not worried about Kyrie, but you may be right about him bringing more to the table than JSK.

Bigger, faster guy. It will be fun to see how they use him this year.

Him tracking down Burnham, saving a TD, was a real eye opener

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I followed him on 2 special teams plays where he did not make the tackle. He was very much in the hunt, but sometimes the play just isn't there. I'll tell you something though...he has a hell of a motor and a great nose for the play. As a previous poster said, he sure looks like a future Safety in the making.

I love that kid, he is a dog sniffing out ball carriers out there.

He is relentless 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The problem with saying it’s luck is that people don’t realize it’s by design. Our defense operates differently in the red zone than they do when they’ve got a whole field behind them. It’s not luck that we’ve given up one major in two games.

I don’t even necessarily like it. But it’s the way our D runs and it works.

I hear what you're saying and hope you're right, but I'm skeptical. In the playoffs, with the game on the line, BLM, Harris, or Reilly are scoring touchdowns and not kicking 7 field goals. 

If I remember our last 3 playoffs correctly it wasnt death by field goal. Other teams will score a TD when they need them, and our ability to counter punch with a TD of our own is non-existent with Nichols. If we cant run the ball, chances are were screwed.

Well, after two weeks, here we are sitting at 0-2 as many predicted. Once again the other team had more passing yards which is how we measure wins. 

So crazy that we lost when we had the lead for literally the entire game. It’s really a shame we didn’t spread those TDs out across four quarters instead of two, that also matters. TDs scored on long drives (like we did in game one, mind you) are the ones that really count, dontcha know?

It’s almost like we played a team that held their opponent to -2 total offensive yards after the midway point of the second quarter last week. 

I just wish scoring more points than your opponent, an opponent who right now seems to be one of the top teams in the league, counted for something. Ah well, if only points mattered more than stats.

Shame on Nichols for telling Harris to fumble twice! Shame on him for calling a weird sweep on second and short! Shame on him for the o-line opening no holes for Harris and us constantly being stuffed, putting us in second and long! Shame on Nichols not forcing plays when we’re leading on the scoreboard and our punting and defence are playing very well! Considering there’s no salary cap, it’s so odd that we don’t have Mitchell, Reilly, and Harris as our three QBs, not to mention upgrading all of our weakest positions with the top players in the league! Walters is clearly an idiot. No wait, NICHOLS is an idiot for that one too! Phew, almost forgot there.

Well, back to the drawing board. See you guys next year, this one is already a write-off. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

First thing first...a sign of a good team is when you still win parts of team playing sub par...which we did...Offence seemed to be out of sync all game save for some great individual plays by some guys. Not very often Harris fumbles and loses the ball twice in a game, let alone twice in a year.

Not sure whats up with Fenner, is it scheme or is it ability but he is better than that, that being said I see why we kept Rios around and not too worried about defense as a whole, they are needing some gel time and the d-line hasn't revved up yet but allowing only what..1 offensive T.D in 2 games against Reilly and Harris while not firing on all cylinders makes you just be giddy thinking of what they will do when they are firing on all cylinders.

Jefferson though no fancy stats yet is a disruptive force and what he does out there, and attention he draws allows others to make plays...also he is seeing a lot of doubles and line play schemed to take him out of making big time plays...but either way it still benefits the defense as a whole.

And as Mike mentioned...it's not about luck making the stops..I'll take a game plan all day allowing a team to move the ball between the 20's but if they can't score TD's thats a win.

Oliviera is done for a while, it was either a bad dislocation or break of his ankle/leg as when he rolled out of the pile up it was twisted and pointing the wrong way..but we are in good shape as we have Augustine chomping at the bit, and I think right now he brings even more anyway, but sucks to lose Oliviera

The o-line I think has basically solidified that they are no longer a concern and are going to be at the worst a very good line, quite possibly one of best..again once they get more games under their belts.

Lucky..what can you say...get ball i his hands and give him a sliver of a seam, or any space at all and he is gonna be a threat to take it to the house at any time, and from anywhere on the field..this games was huge as teams have taken notice now and he is going to have attention on him now which will only open up space for the rest...Also even tough Nichols played a very up and down game, but the offence as whole did too...I'll still take his 3 td vs 1or zero Int and 180 to 230 yard performance when it just keeps accounting for wins

He was down by our sideline and I thought that was the trainer's foot because of the direction it was pointing...Damn! 

Just a thought. Harris was pretty distressed by his kid brother Oliviera's injury, so I wonder if it was a focus issue that played into his fumbles last night? 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Agreed.

I don't really care that Edmonton threw for 350 yards, their offence did what a Trevor Harris offence always does : Throw a billion times with no real impact.

Nichols 3 TDs 1 tipped INT

Harris had his worst game in a long time

I never really thought Edmonton was going to win. Even at the end.

To be fair, that tipped INT was a very poor throw to a wide open Matthews.

12 minutes ago, davidjh141 said:

I hear what you're saying and hope you're right, but I'm skeptical. In the playoffs, with the game on the line, BLM, Harris, or Reilly are scoring touchdowns and not kicking 7 field goals. 

If I remember our last 3 playoffs correctly it wasnt death by field goal. Other teams will score a TD when they need them, and our ability to counter punch with a TD of our own is non-existent with Nichols. If we cant run the ball, chances are were screwed.

Nichols has 6 td passes on the season already...

Just now, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I followed him on 2 special teams plays where he did not make the tackle. He was very much in the hunt, but sometimes the play just isn't there. I'll tell you one thing though...he has a hell of a motor and a great nose for the play.

Me too I thought he did a excellent job a couple times of not chasing the tackle but setting the edge and forcing the returner into the middle of the field. Overall thought the bombers did a really good job forcing the returner to back where there was tons of help to make a tackle.