GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

26 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It was 3 to 3 in turnover battle. Harris had a bad game but hey he has won us 10x more games than he has had bad games since he has been here. It will be good for next week because he is going to be pissed all week. A highly motivated Andrew Harris can be unstoppable at times.

Just to clarify Esks. turnovers were all on loss of downs, no interceptions or fumbles.

First thing first...a sign of a good team is when you still win parts of team playing sub par...which we did...Offence seemed to be out of sync all game save for some great individual plays by some guys. Not very often Harris fumbles and loses the ball twice in a game, let alone twice in a year.

Not sure whats up with Fenner, is it scheme or is it ability but he is better than that, that being said I see why we kept Rios around and not too worried about defense as a whole, they are needing some gel time and the d-line hasn't revved up yet but allowing only what..1 offensive T.D in 2 games against Reilly and Harris while not firing on all cylinders makes you just be giddy thinking of what they will do when they are firing on all cylinders.

Jefferson though no fancy stats yet is a disruptive force and what he does out there, and attention he draws allows others to make plays...also he is seeing a lot of doubles and line play schemed to take him out of making big time plays...but either way it still benefits the defense as a whole.

And as Mike mentioned...it's not about luck making the stops..I'll take a game plan all day allowing a team to move the ball between the 20's but if they can't score TD's thats a win.

Oliviera is done for a while, it was either a bad dislocation or break of his ankle/leg as when he rolled out of the pile up it was twisted and pointing the wrong way..but we are in good shape as we have Augustine chomping at the bit, and I think right now he brings even more anyway, but sucks to lose Oliviera

The o-line I think has basically solidified that they are no longer a concern and are going to be at the worst a very good line, quite possibly one of best..again once they get more games under their belts.

Lucky..what can you say...get ball i his hands and give him a sliver of a seam, or any space at all and he is gonna be a threat to take it to the house at any time, and from anywhere on the field..this games was huge as teams have taken notice now and he is going to have attention on him now which will only open up space for the rest...Also even tough Nichols played a very up and down game, but the offence as whole did too...I'll still take his 3 td vs 1or zero Int and 180 to 230 yard performance when it just keeps accounting for wins

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I wonder why O'Shea did not challenge a ruled reception by Collins on the Esks O series after the Bombers first TD. I thought Collins dropped the ball. It would have put the Bombers on the scoring position inside the Esks 40 yd line.

I wondered the same thing. Clearly dropped 

Edit: I'm thinking of a different play where there was no fumble potential 

Edited by Geebrr

1 minute ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I wonder why O'Shea did not challenge a ruled receptions by Collins on the Esks series after the Bombers first TD. I thought Collins dropped the ball. 

Was that the one across middle early in game? I thought it was a good no-challenge. Early in the game and the replay that MOS and I saw (on the big screen) it appeared as though he took a couple of steps before the ball came out. If nothing else, it was very inconclusive from that angle. 

1 minute ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I wonder why O'Shea did not challenge a ruled receptions by Collins on the Esks series after the Bombers first TD. I thought Collins dropped the ball. 

It was about a 5 yard play and IIRC Collins took a step before he dropped the ball, so it could have been ruled a catch and fumble. Then again, that's not how they ruled the Edmonton catch and fumble in the 4th, so who knows.

4 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I wonder why O'Shea did not challenge a ruled reception by Collins on the Esks O series after the Bombers first TD. I thought Collins dropped the ball. It would have put the Bombers on the scoring position inside the Esks 40 yd line.

I’m pretty sure he thought it was going to be a catch and a fumble recovered by Edmonton.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It was about a 5 yard play and IIRC Collins took a step before he dropped the ball, so it could have been ruled a catch and fumble. Then again, that's not how they ruled the Edmonton catch and fumble in the 4th, so who knows.

I guess you're right about the catch and a fumble. 

Just now, Firekid said:

A lot of Bltching and Moaning after a W from some. A W is a W in my books. Especialy against the hottest team in the league right now who came in on a roll and the Blue came in off vacation. I will take that every week. Go Bombers!

Exactly.

Not a great but a W is a W. 

Bodes well for the rest of the season when they can have that many mistakes ans still win.

If you had told me that Harris would have 30 yards rushing and 2 fumbles, Woli, Adams, and Matthews would have a combined 16 yards receiving and we would lose the turnover battle (before the last two on downs for the Esks), I'd have said no way we win. 

The fact that they win a game like that, against a decent team, without scoring on D or teams shows that they are legit.

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

Not a great but a W is a W. 

Bodes well for the rest of the season when they can have that many mistakes ans still win.

If you had told me that Harris would have 30 yards rushing and 2 fumbles, Woli, Adams, and Matthews would have a combined 16 yards receiving and we would lose the turnover battle (before the last two on downs for the Esks), I'd have said no way we win. 

The fact that they win a game like that, against a decent team, without scoring on D or teams shows that they are legit.

I agree.

I thought we only won when Harris dragged us to victory? 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The problem with saying it’s luck is that people don’t realize it’s by design. Our defense operates differently in the red zone than they do when they’ve got a whole field behind them. It’s not luck that we’ve given up one major in two games.

I don’t even necessarily like it. But it’s the way our D runs and it works.

It's been Ritchie Halls MO for a long long long time. It's not going to change so we better just get used to it. Bombers D plays a pretty physical game and makes teams generally have to put together long drives to score. That wears an offense down over the course of the game, and on offense the idea is the same. Grind it out, play safe and win by beating the other team down. 

Bombers really are the ground and pound style of team rather than the flashy team. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's been Ritchie Halls MO for a long long long time. It's not going to change so we better just get used to it. Bombers D plays a pretty physical game and makes teams generally have to put together long drives to score. That wears an offense down over the course of the game, and on offense the idea is the same. Grind it out, play safe and win by beating the other team down. 

Bombers really are the ground and pound style of team rather than the flashy team. 

Exactly. They gave up over 300 yards passing, but on 54(!) attempts. 

I wasn't feeling too good after the win last night but I'm feeling better now. 

What I saw was a team that seem to dominate at almost all aspects against a very good team but didn't couldn't pull away and made key mistakes. 

What I saw was Nichols not utilizing the weapons he has. One shot downfield, which was very (very) successful but then seem to ignore his big play receivers. I know he's a protect the ball first type QB, which is partially why he's been so successful here, but he's never had this talent around him. Why not stretch the field more? The play calls seem to open up the receivers all over the field but he seem to only look out to the outside for short gains, especially on 2nd and long. I'm frustrated but I think I just need to get over it. A win is a win is a win. 

Thanks MBB for putting my head back on straight. 

Edit: Two throws downfield. Forgot the Matthews catch that was called back. 

Edit 2: I took Tarsky as my lock pick, so I could be grumpy that he didn't get a TD. 

Edited by JCon

10 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Exactly. They gave up over 300 yards passing, but on 54(!) attempts. 

And, when the Esks needed plays to win the game Collins wanted no part of getting hit again and short armed a ton of passes. Totally pussied out because that's how the Bombers play D. Gotta earn your yards the hard way. 

this game was probably an eye opener now for many DC's...Lucky has established himself as a serious threat and will have to have attention payed to him and defeses converge on him as if he gets the smallest if openings..he could be gone...this is going to really open up things for others (especially Adams and Matthews) and we are going to be able to stretch more now with one on ones, and run more deeper layered routes...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

this game was probably an eye opener now for many DC's...Lucky has established himself as a serious threat and will have to have attention payed to him and defeses converge on him as if he gets the smallest if openings..he could be gone...this is going to really open up things for others (especially Adams and Matthews) and we are going to be able to stretch more now with one on ones, and run more deeper layered routes...

gotta think it gives Harris more room on the short passes too because now there's an even more dangerous guy on the short check down passes to spy.