GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

I know it was an ugly win but I'm surprised people are this angry. We won on an off night by making big plays when we needed to and getting touchdowns instead of field goals all while keeping a powerful Edmonton offence out of the endzone.

I agree that if we play like this every night we probably don't win very often but I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. I'm thrilled to be 2-0 and first in the West even though it is early.

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Gaitor never returned?

Gaitor on the medical table, never returned. Knee or ankle. Team-mates commiserating.

Oliveira's injury looked worse after that ST pileup. He got rolled on or twisted high ankle. Did not look good.

Good thing Bombers still have Johnny  Augustine and Chris Humes. Would not be surprised to see Rios and Humes in vs Argos.

I'd also like to see more of what Streveler can do at QB.

I agree about Fenner, he looked awful and Rios looked better. Its funny, the D has given up 1 td in 2 games and I think many of us feel they can be better. On the offense, we've scored 61 points in 2 games and yet we can be better. Our QB has 384 yards in 2 games. We did nothing for about half the game last night. Given the weapons we seem to have: Harris, Adams, Matthews, Lucky, Woli, we should be better and certainly more consistent.

However we are 2-0, we've beaten 2 western teams and the Riders are winless, so we have that going for us.

Issue I have is that in reality were more lucky than anything that EDM doesn't score TD's on some of those drives. Holding them to 7 field goals and countless drive killing drops by EDM receivers is a complete fluke, and I wouldn't count on that happening again in the playoffs. 

In a higher scoring game Nichols cant go shot for shot with Harris, BLM, Reilly, or Masoli. Its going to be extremely difficult winning consecutive playoff games when your QB can barely break 200 yards passing and the elite QBs are nearly doubling that. Odds are that the extra yards will lead to touchdowns in the long run.

Happy with the win, but we were extremely lucky to win last night.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its funny, the D has given up 1 td in 2 games

And Edmonton has been piling up big yards in their first two games.

Defence is definitely good. And Edmonton had the ball for much more time. Yet their D was gassed at the end.

Nichols looked average to bad, he  needs  grade A pass protection to do well. Once O line gets going, he probably will do better.

And they stopped Andrew, as everyone knows the O doesn't work when he can't run.

Harris will be better next  game, and then so will Nichols.

Edited by Mark F

32 minutes ago, davidjh141 said:

Issue I have is that in reality were more lucky than anything that EDM doesn't score TD's on some of those drives. Holding them to 7 field goals and countless drive killing drops by EDM receivers is a complete fluke, and I wouldn't count on that happening again in the playoffs. 

In a higher scoring game Nichols cant go shot for shot with Harris, BLM, Reilly, or Masoli. Its going to be extremely difficult winning consecutive playoff games when your QB can barely break 200 yards passing and the elite QBs are nearly doubling that. Odds are that the extra yards will lead to touchdowns in the long run.

Happy with the win, but we were extremely lucky to win last night.

The problem with saying it’s luck is that people don’t realize it’s by design. Our defense operates differently in the red zone than they do when they’ve got a whole field behind them. It’s not luck that we’ve given up one major in two games.

I don’t even necessarily like it. But it’s the way our D runs and it works.

Last night was no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a win against a very good football club. It's an 18 game season. Some games the O will need to step up for us to win and other games it will be the D. I really don't care which one it is as long as we get the victory. We were not lucky to win last night, we outscored our opponent. They didn't gift us these points, we didn't get a bunch of turnovers on lucky bounces, we went out and made plays to score and prevented them from doing the same. It was an ugly, hard fought game from two very good teams. I don't get all the angst here about the win.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

The problem with saying it’s luck is that people don’t realize it’s by design. Our defense operates differently in the red zone than they do when they’ve got a whole field behind them. It’s not luck that we’ve given up one major in two games.

You can't say it is luck if you do it virtually every time. Our D is very good at not surrendering majors.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Very much this - it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The D-line played a very good game, for the most part the Esks. played 6 O-linemen and Harris was not getting through many progressions, in the end he was relying on only 2 receivers, Ellingson and Collins to the point he wore them out.

I thought our defence played very well against a red hot offence.

1 hour ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

I know it was an ugly win but I'm surprised people are this angry. We won on an off night by making big plays when we needed to and getting touchdowns instead of field goals all while keeping a powerful Edmonton offence out of the endzone.

I agree that if we play like this every night we probably don't win very often but I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. I'm thrilled to be 2-0 and first in the West even though it is early.

Agreed.

I don't really care that Edmonton threw for 350 yards, their offence did what a Trevor Harris offence always does : Throw a billion times with no real impact.

Nichols 3 TDs 1 tipped INT

Harris had his worst game in a long time

I never really thought Edmonton was going to win. Even at the end.

Edited by Geebrr

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Andrew Harris and Nichols didn’t play well.  But we rode the overall talent of this team to a relatively easy win against potentially our biggest threat in the West.  This could be a remarkable Blue Bombers team. 

I agree. To be able to win a game like that is a testament to our overall team strength.

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Agreed.

I don't really care that Edmonton threw for 350 yards, their offence did was a Trevor Harris offence always does : Throw a billion times with no real impact.

Nichols 3 TDs 1 tipped INT

Harris had his worst game in a long time

I never really thought Edmonton was going to win. Even at the end.

We did the bare minimum needed to secure victory...but at the end of the day we secured the victory. I am actually highly encouraged to see our offence capable of delivering some big plays for a change. It's a Lapo offence, that had an off night grinding but we all know that in 90% of our games we'll be able to do that. The big pay aspect of our offence that was non existent until this year should encourage everyone.

Edited by gcn11

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I was thinking about that through the game. Between the 20 yard stripes harris looked like an elite QB. Checking down, hitting the right guys in the right spots, methodically marching down field. But that is against the bend but dont break hall defense. And in the red zone, they had nothing even close to a threat to score. 

I was back and forth on who was better and who id rather have. And honestly its a toss up. But that said, I dont trust harris to stay healthy, consistent and lead a team. Even if he threw 3 tds tonight he isnt a guy i would want to rest a season on. 

It is dink and dunk pansy offence

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Andrew Harris and Nichols didn’t play well.  But we rode the overall talent of this team to a relatively easy win against potentially our biggest threat in the West.  This could be a remarkable Blue Bombers team. 

We won despite losing the turnover battle in a big way. That's tough to do as well.

9 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

We won despite losing the turnover battle in a big way. That's tough to do as well.

It was 3 to 3 in turnover battle. Harris had a bad game but hey he has won us 10x more games than he has had bad games since he has been here. It will be good for next week because he is going to be pissed all week. A highly motivated Andrew Harris can be unstoppable at times.