GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg June 27, 2019

Rich

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Part of the issue is when leading this team plays "safe". That's from the coaches and they have a long history of it.

But it's not all about playing safe... we had full momentum and a nice lead and they call that bull **** 2nd and short play that completely turned the game around on us.  

Just now, wbbfan said:

We won. But Harris wasnt good enough. And fenner wasnt good enough. And nichols, and jefferson. Winning doesnt excuse that. 

Its true, but with the game on the line you have to have the poise to step up into the pocket. Nichols needs to refind that.

I'll be the first to admit our offense needs work & has to be better. Nichols has to be much better. LaPo is way too conservative & needs to be called out on that. That should be MOS telling him to keep the pedal to the metal all game & not let up after we get a lead like he always does.

Just now, Goalie said:

I dont get how ppl can justify Nichols play the last season and a bit now. 

Oh well. 

As for Streveler

https://www.cfl.ca/players/chris-streveler/163715/

No one is really justifying it. Literally the only thing that matters is winning. Everything else can get ******. Win or **** off. Nichols won, Harris didnt. On to the Argos.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

But it's not all about playing safe... we had full momentum and a nice lead and they call that bull **** 2nd and short play that completely turned the game around on us.  

I thought that failed short yardage play with the Fly Sweep killed all of our momentum. Offensively, we were never the same after that.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'll be the first to admit our offense needs work & has to be better. Nichols has to be much better. LaPo is way too conservative & needs to be called out on that. That should be MOS telling him to keep the pedal to the metal all game & not let up after we get a lead like he always does.

Lapo was conservative, and at times just bad. Bad play design, bad play call, bad adjustments. A couple of those play calls were enraging. 

I'd love to see the Nichols of 2017 again. We won and that's all that matters but it almost feels like this team is being held back by Nichols at times. When I was watching Harris you can see him make his progressions. First read-not there, second read-not there, third read-open-throw. With Nichols it always seems like, first read-not there-happy feet-happy-feet-panic-turtle for sack. It drives me nuts. Nichols usually gets enough time for a few reads but he either locks onto his primary and/or doesn't have the speed or skill to cycle through the other progressions quickly enough. Not sure what it is but I hope he gets back whatever he had in 2017 cause this team could be legit great. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

No one is really justifying it. Literally the only thing that matters is winning. Everything else can get ******. Win or **** off. Nichols won, Harris didnt. On to the Argos.

That would be on to the RedB's ,,,and on a short week....Nichols better shake the crap out of his pants...freal quick

I just finished watching the game on the PVR....  That cute play Lapo called on 2nd and short completely killed our momentum.  

Nichols was off after that,  he had time in the 2nd quarter and completely whiffed on his passes.   

Also why did they not pick on whoever was covering Matthews.... it was a huge size mis match.  

Harris had his worse game as a Bomber... th ankfully Ellingston had his worst game to even things out. 

I thought the d-line had a tonne of pressure and Gaitor was really solid tonight.

Fenner looks lost... lots of whiffed tackles and playing catch up.  

I'll take the win but I'm concerned about Nichols and the offense.  I would of liked to have seen Streveler given the ball in the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter when Nichols was really turtling and doing nothing.  At least Streveler can bull doze and run for a few yards rather then turtle. 

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

I'd love to see the Nichols of 2017 again. We won and that's all that matters but it almost feels like this team is being held back by Nichols at times. When I was watching Harris you can see him make his progressions. First read-not there, second read-not there, third read-open-throw. With Nichols it always seems like, first read-not there-happy feet-happy-feet-panic-turtle for sack. It drives me nuts. Nichols usually gets enough time for a few reads but he either locks onto his primary and/or doesn't have the speed or skill to cycle through the other progressions quickly enough. Not sure what it is but I hope he gets back whatever he had in 2017 cause this team could be legit great. 

The sooner everyone, especially O'Shea, realizes that the Nichols of 2017 was an anomaly rather than who he really is, the sooner this team will take off. Imagine thinking that one season two years ago is the real thing and all evidence since them is fraudulent. It's not even that Streveler is the answer, it's that Nichols will never be the guy who can lead this team to consistent success.

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Last season he was definitely locking in on guys....  seems to be doing it again this year. 

Just now, Stickem said:

That would be on to the RedB's ,,,and on a short week....Nichols better shake the crap out of his pants...freal quick

Oh right...I was thinking next home game. Yeah **** Davis. Wins two games and tsn wants to have his baby. Wait till he sees a rel defence. Same thing I said about Harris. Good ******* luck!!

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Funny though how Nichols couldn't get his offense into the end zone for a touchdown. We won & here we are.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We won. But Harris wasnt good enough. And fenner wasnt good enough. And nichols, and jefferson. Winning doesnt excuse that. 

Its true, but with the game on the line you have to have the poise to step up into the pocket. Nichols needs to refind that.

Re-watch the O-line play tonight, they were holding them up but not holding them off, especially Speller.  Nichols had no pocket to step up into.

38 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Once again the fans have this unqualified infatuation with the unproven back up QB. 

This, and it gets so old that Nichols gets scapegoated for all the offense's problems.  Now I'll concede a few things:

Did the offense put together a complete game? No, we hit some big play TDs but had a lot of stalls and 2 and outs as well, so there is room for improvement.  But Edmonton does have a pretty good defense, so I'll take it anyway.

Did Nichols make a few bad decisions?  Sure, I thought he probably should have held off on that overthrow to Matthews.  But there were many other mistakes on offensive players.

Harris didn't have a good game either, Darvin Adams was criticized by Dunnigan, and Chandler Fenner almost looks like another Roc Carmichael.  And Lapolice had a lot of brain fart play calls.

But at the end of the day, being 2-0 and number one in the West with a favorable stretch of games coming up, this game was about as good as I could have hoped.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Last season he was definitely locking in on guys....  seems to be doing it again this year. 

The even worse thing is, he has absolutely no ability to improvise at all. The pocket presence is basically nil and the slightest pressure destroys any play. At the very least he throws it away now. Imagine that being his big improvement.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Re-watch the O-line play tonight, they were holding them up but not holding them off, especially Speller.  Nichols had no pocket to step up into.

The Ol had moments of struggle. Couture gave up a particularly bad OLAY! block. But over all the pocket was better then harris had. Nichols often had enough time to get indecisive. 

2 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Haven’t looked over any of this thread, ****** **** faced. Holy **** is lucky whitehead fast

that is all

blue 2-0!!! Best in the west!! 

Lucky is a monster in the making. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

The even worse thing is, he has absolutely no ability to improvise at all. The pocket presence is basically nil and the slightest pressure destroys any play. At the very least he throws it away now. Imagine that being his big improvement.

I mean he did throw 2 TD last game via a broken pocket forcing him to improvise....

Just now, USABomberfan said:

This, and it gets so old that Nichols gets scapegoated for all the offense's problems.  Now I'll concede a few things:

Did the offense put together a complete game? No, we hit some big play TDs but had a lot of stalls and 2 and outs as well, so there is room for improvement.  But Edmonton does have a pretty good defense, so I'll take it anyway.

Did Nichols make a few bad decisions?  Sure, I thought he probably should have held off on that overthrow to Matthews.  But there were many other mistakes on offensive players.

Harris didn't have a good game either, Darvin Adams was criticized by Dunnigan, and Chandler Fenner almost looks like another Roc Carmichael.  And Lapolice had a lot of brain fart play calls.

But at the end of the day, being 2-0 and number one in the West with a favorable stretch of games coming up, this game was about as good as I could have hoped.

It. is. not. about. Steveler. being. the. saviour.

It's that Nichols is clearly beyond any reasonable doubt NOT the answer. He's resting on the laurels of ONE season. I've never in my life seen a guy get praised for 200 yard passing games in the CFL more than him.

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Id say edm has a better then expected front 7 for the injuries they have. I still dont think that secondary is good. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Hey man, u said it. I'm just saying that he obviously does have that ability, mostly because hes done it. 

I said it because it's true. All the credit in the world to him for making those plays in week one. It doesn't undo the 9 times out of 10 that he turtles. A ton of big plays in the CFL come off of broken plays. You can only cover for so long. Keep your eyes downfield and someone is going to be open. How often does Nichols make a play out of that?

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Any word on what injury Olivera has?  It looked bad on tv....

In the post game mos said no word yet. But yeah, it looks bad. JBR in chat pointed it looked broken. Could see nasty discoloration above his sock. Hope he is ok. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Hey man, u said it. I'm just saying that he obviously does have that ability, mostly because hes done it. 

He can make it happen on the roll out. If he has to scramble its much worse. Especially tonight, he stopped looking down field and was caught looking at the rush.