Next Up ... Edmonton here

Gonna be a close hard fought one here for sure.

I'm not taking the schmoes lightly at all because that would be foolish with the talent they got.

But ... We're definitely in better shape than BC at the moment and they'd better think again if they plan to use the same game plan against us that they used against them.

They knew BC had no run game so they just sent the house on Reilly most of the game.  With A Harris and Lapo's draw plays or RPO plays, they won't be able to do that on us.  Catch em off balance with those draws, get them to crash in on A Harris and we can use the play action Darvin or C Matthews deep ball on them, or even get mid route seams to Woltairesky to catch em off guard in space.

And ... I think on defense Bighill might be able to bait T Harris into a few rushed throws or a few hangers for Hecht to make a play on.

I know we aren't done this week but this game is already getting me anticipating already.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Edmonton beat BC a lot worse than we did. Definitely not as confident about next week's game as I once was. Should be *interesting*, at any rate....

Maybe us giving them some game film on BC's offense had something to do with that?

Like I said, if your offense not only has a bit of raddy OL, but also no run game or any big physical backs in the backfield, and it becomes overly reliant on an old QB who seems to mostly care about pushing the ball down field every play, that's a recipe for disaster.  Edmonton keyed in on it which is why BC had another atrocious 2nd half.

Even though Lapolice can drive me crazy with his game plans sometimes, I really don't see him calling that kind of game.  I expect him to keep Edmonton guessing as to whether or not Harris is getting the ball, and perhaps even call in the Streveler package a few times to get them off guard.

I mean, they couldn't put the Als out until late in the 4th quarter with Vernon Adams, and I'm certain our team is better than that.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

They knew BC had no run game so they just sent the house on Reilly most of the game.  With A Harris and Lapo's draw plays or RPO plays, they won't be able to do that on us.  

Exactly what I think. BCs play calling in their first two games has been brutal. Imo Lapo's offence is much more likely to be able to beat an aggressive defence.

13 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Exactly what I think. BCs play calling in their first two games has been brutal. Imo Lapo's offence is much more likely to be able to beat an aggressive defence.

Edmonton's defence was only that aggressive cause BC laid down and let them be. BCs offensive was pathetic.

Short week for the schmoes coming in here....We're on a bye week and there should be no excuses to go down to Maas and friends...We start slow....may I suggest we don't in this next tilt and bring it right out of the gate and set the tone....The Esks. can be had for sure...just put constant pressure on Harris till he starts making mistakes...2 pts should be ours....Sounds simple....but in this league nothing really is

Edited by Stickem

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Are we going to get a good example of Mattys new found elusiveness this Thursday ?......... I sure hope so.   It would screw with every defensive co-ordinater...

He already showed last week that he's more mobile than last season.  It's never going to be something teams really have to plan around though.

19 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He already showed last week that he's more mobile than last season.  It's never going to be something teams really have to plan around though.

Nichols style is usually either getting rid of the ball quick or ... As mentioned earlier using Harris in the draw play to get the heat off him.  Some QBs know how to do it without being super mobile, just like AC and Ray in their primes weren't mobile.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Edmonton beat BC a lot worse than we did. Definitely not as confident about next week's game as I once was. Should be *interesting*, at any rate....

Maybe it wasn't Edmonton's first game of the season?  Maybe BC was a bit deflated after losing their home opener?  Honestly, I know we've had years of practice at being disappointed but let's not worry too much.  We match up well against any other team in the league and finally I'm hoping that now it's the other team's turn to worry about us!

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

They won by 6 more points at home!

With all their weapons available. I'm looking forward to playing a Mike Reilley-less Shmo team with the anger-issues coach. 

jason-maas.jpg

giphy.gif

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed during the editing of this post.

This is a big game for the secondary because Edmonton is a death by a thousand paper cuts style of offense, lots of screens, not much 15+ yards downfield, quite a bit different than Edmonton with Reilly.  Harris will not hold the ball long if we're playing in passive coverages and worried about coming up to make tackles.  Need some aggression to give the pass rush a chance to make an impact against that scheme, make the throws Harris likes more difficult and force them into a downfield passing game that he doesn't do well with.