Banjo Bowl

1 minute ago, JCon said:

The Forks. (!!!!)

The new Stadium.

Growth and expansion at every end of the city, including population in 1980 - 581k vs 2018 - 753k. 

Etc, etc, etc. 

Having some of the same things as 40 years ago does not mean nothing has changed. 

The forks and the stadium.....  and housing stuff going up in fields within the perimeter....... hardly breathtaking.

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You are presenting the two things in Winnipeg that are frozen in time for your argument. That is misleading. 

Alicia's has been resurrected on Albert Street.

Sonya's is no more. (They had the best fat boy in town) 

Take a trek through Osbourne area. The sheer amount of condos and apartments that have gone up in the past 10 years is insane.

Movie Village is now gone. 

The HUman rights museum... 

so on and on.

I was meh about visiting the human rights museum when I first went.  But it is truly awe inspiring and makes a person appreciate where we grew up and live.  I tell everyone to go there when they can.  When my grandkids visit as they get older I will take them there.

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

The forks and the stadium.....  and housing stuff going up in fields within the perimeter....... hardly breathtaking.

The Forks isn't breathtaking? That entire area was rail yards 30 years ago. It's been transformed with shopping, parks, Human Rights Museum, Esplanade, Shaw Park, etc. It's a huge swath of land in the middle of downtown Winnipeg. How many cities can convert such a big area of prime downtown space into a family friend, business friendly space? 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

The Forks. (!!!!)

The new Stadium.

Growth and expansion at every end of the city, including population in 1980 - 581k vs 2018 - 753k. 

Etc, etc, etc. 

Having some of the same things as 40 years ago does not mean nothing has changed. 

100%, Plus osborne village, I love the parks especially assiniboine and kildonan park, the zoo also makes the grade, I love the architecture of  the exchange district, etc. 

Rae n jerrys is great. Im crazy about simons steaks at the forks too though. 

The city and province has soo many hidden gems and under appreciated areas. 

55 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Just because you haven’t changed doesn’t mean the city hasn’t. A LOT of changes in Winnipeg in the past decade or so. 

Id say its grown. Seen a lot of development and improvement. But the core of winnipeg is still the same. It hasnt lost any thing in the past decade, only gotten better. 

5 hours ago, Firekid said:

The New Occidental Hotel is in a hot spot for action and has some character! I guess it all depends what your taste is though. 😜 

Not really since they stopped service alcohol a few years back.. I hear the food it good but i'm not about to check it out. :D

One of my favourite things is all the new craft brew taprooms popping up across the city. Every time I'm home, I try to check out at least one new one. I really would like to take a full day and just go from taproom to taproom....need a good DD!

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

One of my favourite things is all the new craft brew taprooms popping up across the city. Every time I'm home, I try to check out at least one new one. I really would like to take a full day and just go from taproom to taproom....need a good DD!

I like gals that size, but sometimes its too much of a good thing.

10 hours ago, White Out said:

This is totally not Bomber related but..

we used to have a cottage in Belair. I can't find the owners, the name, a phone number, and the address doesn't have mail delivery. I really want to rent the cottage out I grew up in for a night but ... how the heck do you guys figure I'd go about finding the owners? 

What makes you think they want to rent their cottage? At any rate without any of the above your best, and probably only option, is to call the RM office and see if they will give you the name or driving there and knocking on the door.

Edited by gcn11

11 hours ago, White Out said:

... how the heck do you guys figure I'd go about finding the owners? 

Shot in the dark here, but if you have good document-keeping (and kept your sale agreement from the cottage sale) that might have their contact info on it... it'd really depend on how far back we're talking here, most people don't change their phone/land line number unless they absolutely have to. Aside from that, you could try a reverse phone number site if you haven't done that already... sorry that's all I got.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Be sure to check out Trans Canada next time you're in. Great beer, better Pizza. The pizza chef won some world wide competition for his pizzas. They are absolutely amazing. You can't take out though.

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Be sure to check out Trans Canada next time you're in. Great beer, better Pizza. The pizza chef won some world wide competition for his pizzas. They are absolutely amazing. You can't take out though.

It's not bad...went there when I was home at Christmas. As with OGC.....it's "solid". I still think Half Pints is the best beer in the city, but the taproom is a bit "lacking" (tho I suppose when your beer's that good, it's all you really need). I really dig the vibe at LBJ....simple, modern, and one really great beer. Good place to chill for a bit. Barn Hammer also a solid little place. They make quite a few solid pours. Stone Angel, as far as I'm concerned, is the PERFECT pre-game spot for a Bombers game. Relatively short walk to the stadium...fantastic beer and usually have food trucks out back. 

14 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Shot in the dark here, but if you have good document-keeping (and kept your sale agreement from the cottage sale) that might have their contact info on it... it'd really depend on how far back we're talking here, most people don't change their phone/land line number unless they absolutely have to. Aside from that, you could try a reverse phone number site if you haven't done that already... sorry that's all I got.

I never even considered a reverse address look up. It scored me a phone # that I think is the landline for the cottage. No one there right now, which is to be expected. I'll try calling on the weekend again.

I would love nothing more than to spend a weekend at the cottage my Dad and Dido build. Literally built.