Banjo Bowl

Coming to my 1st Banjo Bowl this year, had some Q's 

It's been 20 years since I've lived in the Peg so I don't really know much about where to stay. I'll be in town 2 days with my friend and want to show her the forks, take in the game. Is it a good idea to steer clear of downtown since we won't be doing a Jets game? Where in town would it be a good idea to stay? 

Is there fun stuff to do on the day of the Bombers generally do? 

Two options - There are a number of nice hotels down Pembina (Holiday Inn / Best Western) that'll run you ~120$ a night.  From there you can easily drive to the Forks/Downtown to the exchange to check stuff out there & take a bus to the game (recommended)

Second option if you want to show her a real good time - Book a room at the Fort Garry for 160$ + 20$ parking.  You can walk down to the Forks and into the exchange (Clementines is my favorite breakfast place in the city).  Still take a bus to the game (pretty easy from downtown).

If you haven't checked out the zoo in awhile they've done really good things there.

This is totally not Bomber related but..

we used to have a cottage in Belair. I can't find the owners, the name, a phone number, and the address doesn't have mail delivery. I really want to rent the cottage out I grew up in for a night but ... how the heck do you guys figure I'd go about finding the owners? 

46 minutes ago, White Out said:

Coming to my 1st Banjo Bowl this year, had some Q's 

It's been 20 years since I've lived in the Peg so I don't really know much about where to stay. I'll be in town 2 days with my friend and want to show her the forks, take in the game. Is it a good idea to steer clear of downtown since we won't be doing a Jets game? Where in town would it be a good idea to stay? 

Is there fun stuff to do on the day of the Bombers generally do? 

Lots of bars and restaurants have shuttles to the game, usually around $5 with a free beer or something. I would start at one of the watering holes and go with them. The Bombers have also been setting up a tailgate area on the east side of the stadium with beer tents and live entertainment before the game, should be a good time with all the rider fans coming down.

26 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Two options - There are a number of nice hotels down Pembina (Holiday Inn / Best Western) that'll run you ~120$ a night.  From there you can easily drive to the Forks/Downtown to the exchange to check stuff out there & take a bus to the game (recommended)

Second option if you want to show her a real good time - Book a room at the Fort Garry for 160$ + 20$ parking.  You can walk down to the Forks and into the exchange (Clementines is my favorite breakfast place in the city).  Still take a bus to the game (pretty easy from downtown).

If you haven't checked out the zoo in awhile they've done really good things there.

I'd imagine that their are several air bnb near the Stadium for decent prices.   I would definitely recommend doing this.    If not the park and ride system is adequate and can open up much more options for places to stay. 

AirBnB is really the only way to do things these days....and I'm certain there are a few out in cottage country. My dad is living at Belair full time these days....lotta cabin rentals between there and Victoria Beach...

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

AirBnB is really the only way to do things these days....and I'm certain there are a few out in cottage country. My dad is living at Belair full time these days....lotta cabin rentals between there and Victoria Beach...

I think the sticking point would be W.O.’s interest in a one night rental. That’s a pretty tough ask. 

1 hour ago, Firekid said:

The New Occidental Hotel is in a hot spot for action and has some character! I guess it all depends what your taste is though. 😜 

Just look for the fancy mural.   Was in that place many, many moons ago, one nite......assume there have been improvements made since then......

16 minutes ago, do or die said:

Just look for the fancy mural.   Was in that place many, many moons ago, one nite......assume there have been improvements made since then......

I don't think it is a hotel for quite a while. It was converted to a rehab type of place. 

20 minutes ago, do or die said:

Back in the day, wasn't sure what to call it, either....

In any event I think we know what he meant even though I never stepped in there. Really reputation is overblown,  a guy was shot to death at a beer vendor less than an hour after I picked up a case there and that was not in the sketchy part of town. Bad stuff happens everywhere.

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Yup. No doubt they have removed most of the blood, urine and feces from floor and walls.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Please elaborate.  Every time I visit I still get my steak at Ray n  jerrys An my pizza at Santa Lucia....

The Forks. (!!!!)

The new Stadium.

Growth and expansion at every end of the city, including population in 1980 - 581k vs 2018 - 753k. 

Etc, etc, etc. 

Having some of the same things as 40 years ago does not mean nothing has changed. 

4 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Please elaborate.  Every time I visit I still get my steak at Ray n  jerrys An my pizza at Santa Lucia....

You are presenting the two things in Winnipeg that are frozen in time for your argument. That is misleading. 

Alicia's has been resurrected on Albert Street.

Sonya's is no more. (They had the best fat boy in town) 

Take a trek through Osbourne area. The sheer amount of condos and apartments that have gone up in the past 10 years is insane.

Movie Village is now gone. 

The HUman rights museum... 

so on and on.