Nissan Power Rankings

winnipegPNG.png

1. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Record: 1-0
Last Week: 2

What a statement the Bombers made over the weekend, going into BC Place and pushing the Lions around in their home-opener. Andrew Harris rushed for 148 yards, Jeff Hecht had two interceptions and the defence allowed just four rushing yards, controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. It’s early, but the hype seems to be legit.

CalgaryPNG.png

2. Calgary Stampeders

Record: 0-1
Last Week: 1

Despite losing much of their starting defence, it was the offence that lagged in a rare season-opening loss to the Ottawa REDBLACKS. Bo Levi Mitchell failed to generate a point in the second half as the Stamps couldn’t take advantage of four Dominique Davis interceptions. Minor setback, Grey Cup hangover or a crack in the armour? Time will tell.

eDMONTONpng.png

3. Edmonton Eskimos

Last Week: 5

The Eskimos’ offence was simply stunning in the season opener, racking up 35 first downs and 607 yards of offence. We had a feeling Trevor Harris and Jason Maas would jive quickly, but this was beyond expectation. A Week 2 matchup against the BC Lions — and former franchise quarterback Mike Reilly — might better measure where the Eskimos stand.

britishcolumbia.png

4. BC Lions

Last Week: 3

Despite taking the loss, Mike Reilly looked sharp in his return to the Lions, throwing for more than 200 passing yards in the first half alone. Quarterback is certainly no longer a question in BC, but there’s plenty to iron out if the team is going to contend for a division title. In Week 1 the Lions could neither run the ball nor stop the run.

HamiltonPNG.png

5. Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Last Week: 4

The Ticats fall one spot despite a season-opening win over the Riders. Style points mean nothing in the standings, and Orlondo Steinauer was able to pick up the first ‘W’ of his head coaching career. But Tommy Condell’s offence hasn’t exactly lit it up so far, with Jeremiah Masoli throwing for just 169 yards in the opener. That could change in a clash with the rival Argos at BMO Field.

ottawa_englishPNG.png

6. Ottawa REDBLACKS

Last Week: 8

The REDBLACKS are taking names and, well, you know the rest, earning a 32-28 season-opening win over the defending Grey Cup Champs. Players felt disrespected by things like writer picks and power rankings, and they backed it all up by beating a good football team on the road. Plenty of questions remain — can they do this consistently? — but it’s a feel-good story after a tough off-season.

TorontoPNG.png

7. Toronto Argonauts

Record: 0-0
Last Week: 7

One of the CFL’s biggest mysteries going into 2019, the Argos will learn a lot about themselves when they host the Ticats on Saturday in their season-opener. Expectations are high in Toronto, where Corey Chamblin was named head coach and the team has bolstered its talent on both sides of the ball. The biggest factor may be James Franklin, the team’s undisputed No. 1 after a strong camp.

saskatchewan.png

8. Saskatchewan Roughriders

Last Week: 6

The lack of a proven backup could haunt the Riders early in 2019, after Zach Collaros was injured in the opener and placed on the six-game injured list. A dominant defence and elite running back in William Powell should keep games within reach, but one of Cody Fajardo or 23-year-old rookie Isaac Harker will have to make strides quickly to keep this team afloat in a tough West Division.

als-logo-reduced-png-800x800.png

9. Montreal Alouettes

Last Week: 9

The Alouettes were at least resilient in their opener, erasing a 17-point deficit to tie the game with two minutes remaining — but their opponent moved the ball at will, racking up 35 first downs and 607 yards. Despite a talented, veteran defence on paper, defensive coordinator Bob Slowik has his work cut out for him in his first CFL job.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I agree with the Winnipeg choice and the bottom 3 but the rest are confusing to say the least. Nothing but this season to go on, how do you rank Ottawa at 6 and Calgary at 2 or the Ticats behind the Lions?

I guess it's based on expectations and past performances. It's akin to the college sports rankings before the season even begins. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I guess it's based on expectations and past performances. It's akin to the college sports rankings before the season even begins. 

That's the only thing that makes sense, but their are no past performances in week 1, so it's all on off season expectations.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I agree with the Winnipeg choice and the bottom 3 but the rest are confusing to say the least. Nothing but this season to go on, how do you rank Ottawa at 6 and Calgary at 2 or the Ticats behind the Lions?

Myopia?

I'd have:

1. Winnipeg - Most convincing win of the 4 winners last week, and on the road to boot, plus the expectation going into the game about their prospects. Expectations met for one week anyway.

2. Edmonton - Despite letting the Als back into the game in the 4th, a dominant offensive display that masks any defensive deficiencies for now.

3. Hamilton - Would place them lower but for the fact that they won the game, and played fairly decent defence. But the game was close because of their dumb penalties, and their offence looked bogged down all night. Given how many Rider players (and QBs specifically) they knocked out of the game, not an overly impressive win.

4. BC - Had some flashes, and briefly seemed to get it together in the 3rd quarter, but still need to gel. But aside from the putrid running game, looked less sloppy than the Stamps or RedBlacks, so put them ahead.

5. Ottawa - Really had no business winning the game, and Davis made some god-awful plays. But credit the defence for their turnovers that kept them close, and Davis for his resiliency (and # TDs). Not at all sold on them, but hey, you beat Calgary in Calgary, however you do it, and you can't really be ranked any lower than this.

6. Calgary - Flat out gave away this game. 4 INTs including a pick-6 should never lead to a loss, but they shut down in the 2nd half and made some very un-Stampeder-like mistakes. Missed passes and bad giveaways, probably could put them ahead of Ottawa, but can't reward a loss with a higher ranking.

7 .Toronto - No game is better than the performance the Als or Riders put forward.

8. Montreal - Ok, so they erased a 17 point deficit, but their defence was terrible. Still, the offence they generated gives them more hope than they had a week ago, so going forward they have to feel better than Saskatchewan feels today.

9. Saskatchewan - Without the dumb roughing penalties the Cats gave them, they may not have moved downfield at all. Maybe not quite that bad, but still went through 3 QBs and only put up 17 points. Have to be concerned going forward given what injuries they suffered.

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'd have:

1. Winnipeg - Most convincing win of the 4 winners last week, and on the road to boot, plus the expectation going into the game about their prospects. Expectations met for one week anyway.

2. Edmonton - Despite letting the Als back into the game in the 4th, a dominant offensive display that masks any defensive deficiencies for now.

3. Hamilton - Would place them lower but for the fact that they won the game, and played fairly decent defence. But the game was close because of their dumb penalties, and their offence looked bogged down all night. Given how many Rider players (and QBs specifically) they knocked out of the game, not an overly impressive win.

4. BC - Had some flashes, and briefly seemed to get it together in the 3rd quarter, but still need to gel. But aside from the putrid running game, looked less sloppy than the Stamps or RedBlacks, so put them ahead.

5. Ottawa - Really had no business winning the game, and Davis made some god-awful plays. But credit the defence for their turnovers that kept them close, and Davis for his resiliency (and # TDs). Not at all sold on them, but hey, you beat Calgary in Calgary, however you do it, and you can't really be ranked any lower than this.

6. Calgary - Flat out gave away this game. 4 INTs including a pick-6 should never lead to a loss, but they shut down in the 2nd half and made some very un-Stampeder-like mistakes. Missed passes and bad giveaways, probably could put them ahead of Ottawa, but can't reward a loss with a higher ranking.

7 .Toronto - No game is better than the performance the Als or Riders put forward.

8. Montreal - Ok, so they erased a 17 point deficit, but their defence was terrible. Still, the offence they generated gives them more hope than they had a week ago, so going forward they have to feel better than Saskatchewan feels today.

9. Saskatchewan - Without the dumb roughing penalties the Cats gave them, they may not have moved downfield at all. Maybe not quite that bad, but still went through 3 QBs and only put up 17 points. Have to be concerned going forward given what injuries they suffered.

I'd flip BC and Ottawa around. Beating the Stamps at home > losing to the Bombers.

There has to be some weight on previous seasons. I'd rank them:

Winnipeg

Hamilton - Offense was not clicking. Giving them the benefit of the doubt

Calgary - very inconsistent but it's Calgary, cmon

Edmonton - offense looks great. Took the foot off the gas maybe

BC - Mike Reilly. Team built around a lot of stars

Ottawa - defense is great but I think they over achieved on offense near the end

Sask - defense is great but their offense is in trouble

Montreal - Vernon adams is more of a point guard than a qb. Until they prove the end wasn't a fluke I can't rank them higher

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I feel like the Riders using a Harker/Fajardo combo should have them lower. Can we put them say 11 behind Sarnia and the U of T?

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

And the St. James Rods. Maybe even the Oak Park Raiders.

I don’t know why I have the desire to watch two green teams but would love to see a game between the Riders and the Regina Rams (once Rams start camp of course) ...

On 2019-06-18 at 12:31 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'd have:

Week 2 rankings for me:

1 Edmonton (2) - Another strong offensive performance, coupled with relentless defensive pressure in the win over B.C.  Losing Reilly to free agency may be the best thing that happened to them. 

2. Hamilton (3) - Absolute beat down of Toronto shows us the team we all expected to roll over the East. Offence, defence, and special teams all chipped in the a score. 

3. Winnipeg (1) - Through no fault of their own, they slip 2 spots because of the performances of the teams that played this past week. 

4. Ottawa (5) - So maybe this Davis guy actually can play QB. We shall see as teams amass some game film on him. 

5. Calgary (6) - Through no credit of their own, move up one spot because to the performances of the teams that played this past week. 

6. Montreal (8) - See Calgary comments. Copy and paste. 

7. Saskatchewan (9) - Scored about 35 more points than I thought they would given their QB situation, but their defence was a shell of its 2018 self. Still, up 2 spots since their losses have both been on the road. 

8. BC (4) - Until they figure out how to run the ball, it is open season on Mike Reilly on every snap as teams pin their ears back and blitz all the time. Last week was chicken wing Carter, this week was Burnham drops, this receiving corps (not to mention the o-line) plays a lot softer than their quarterback. 

9. Toronto (7) - So maybe this guy Franklin actually can’t play quarterback. Tempted to rank them 10th behind the unnamed Halifax team after that historic debacle at home. 

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

9. Toronto (7) - So maybe this guy Franklin actually can’t play quarterback. Tempted to rank them 10th behind the unnamed Halifax team after that historic debacle at home. 

Franklin taking a lot of heat for that game.  Stats wise he was far from terrible. I agree with your ranking but I'm not sure it all falls at the feet of their qb.

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Week 2 rankings for me:

The logic, mostly, is there for me also in these rankings.

1. Edmonton (2) 

2. Hamilton (3)

3. Winnipeg (1)

4. Ottawa (5)

5. Calgary (6) 

6. Montreal (8) 

7. Saskatchewan (9) 

8. BC (4) 

9. Toronto (7)

Week 3 upcoming games

Edmonton at Winnipeg - probably the game of the week. Both Harris’s are hot. Trevor Harris hasn’t faced a front 7 like Wpg., (BC, Mont) so that’s a big question mark for him. The injury situation is worse for Edmonton as Wilson and Mat*thews will be back in the lineup for the Peg.

Might come down to discipline and we’d have the advantage, along with home field.  Winnipeg

Montreal at Hamilton - Can’t see Montreal stopping Hamilton’s roll and Hamilton’s growing egos will be inflated. Hamilton 

BC at Calgary - BC’s given up 8 sacks in 2 games (7 in their last game). Calgary had 0 sacks in their 1st game. I can’t imagine BC’s gonna be 7sacked again but I do see Calgary looking at this more closely. Calgary underachieved last game, and BC took a chance on getting pregnant, ie no protection. Tell me, how sore is Reilly after only 2 games of getting hit like he has..Calgary

Toronto at Saskatchewan - even though I can’t see Toronto playing as poorly as in the Hamilton game, I just can’t see them beating Saskatchewan who looked, at least, average. Saskatchewan (Although I wouldn’t be surprised...)

Teams I’m not sold on yet - Ottawa(Davis) Hamilton (who they’ve played) Edmonton, (who they’ve played) Calgary, (defence) even Winnipeg (damn bye makes me jittery)

Bottom 4 teams - BC and Sask - toss up. Montreal, then Toronto. A toss off.

Edited by Mr Dee