Bombers @ Lions GDT!!!!!!!Finally!!!

Nolby

The thing I noticed about Matt Nichols is he is DEFINITELY in better shape then he was last year. Not only more mobile which helped him for a couple or the touchdowns as he ran out of the pocket, but his arm strength is actually better. I’m not even talking about necessarily the deep ball in which there was just a few moments of miss communication but one play I believe was in the third quarter he threw an out on the far side field on  a second and ten and he got it there with enough zip for us to pick up the first down. That’s a throw I do not think Matt Nichols makes last year. Very encouraging. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The thing I noticed about Matt Nichols is he is DEFINITELY in better shape then he was last year. Not only more mobile which helped him for a couple or the touchdowns as he ran out of the pocket, but his arm strength is actually better. I’m not even talking about necessarily the deep ball in which there was just a few moments of miss communication but one play I believe was in the third quarter he threw an out on the far side field on  a second and ten and he got it there with enough zip for us to pick up the first down. That’s a throw I do not think Matt Nichols makes last year. Very encouraging. 

Matt was playing on a badly injured knee last year. He couldn't move around. An injured knee would have affected his throwing as well. I just hope he stays healthy. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

50 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The defence has nothing to do with Mike Reilly throwing bad passes and relying too heavily on the deep ball.

Their defence gave up 3 TD's on busted coverages. If they don't do that, Reilly isn't throwing deep as often. The second int was with 4:26 left when they were behind by 10. Gotta throw deep on that one and take your chances.

Reilly doesn't call his own plays. They didn't or couldn't run. That's not on Reilly. It's on their OC and our DL.

Wins and losses change how we look at QB stats. Nichols takes advantage of 3 BC busts in the end zone, relies on Harris to do most of the work, throws for under 200 yards and everyone around here says he played great cuz we won. Reilly throws for 320+ yards, 1 TD but doesn't get any busts in the end zone to take advantage of and loses. Folks blame him for losing cuz he threw 2 ints.

If Reilly played for the Bombers we'd still have won. If Nichols had played for the Lions, they still would have lost. The key IMO was the 3 busts in the end zone.

50 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I know the cool thing to do around here is make fun of the Riders. We had the best defense last year in the league, and not much will change this year but yet you pick 5 or maybe 6 players off what is most likely going to be the worst defense in the league and suggest they will be upgrades in Sask??   Wow

No..you had the highest scoring D in the league last year, not the best defence. Calgary had the best D last year.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Their defence gave up 3 TD's on busted coverages. If they don't do that, Reilly isn't throwing deep as often. The second int was with 4:26 left when they were behind by 10. Gotta throw deep on that one and take your chances.

Reilly doesn't call his own plays. They didn't or couldn't run. That's not on Reilly. It's on their OC and our DL.

Wins and losses change how we look at QB stats. Nichols takes advantage of 3 BC busts in the end zone, relies on Harris to do most of the work, throws for under 200 yards and everyone around here says he played great cuz we won. Reilly throws for 320+ yards, 1 TD but doesn't get any busts in the end zone to take advantage of and loses. Folks blame him for losing cuz he threw 2 ints.

If Reilly played for the Bombers we'd still have won. If Nichols had played for the Lions, they still would have lost. The key IMO was the 3 busts in the end zone.

Yeah but that's the problem with paying so much for a quarterback.. I see BC as being similar to Edmonton last year.  Reilly will put up some big numbers but at the end of the year they will as a team be lucky to make the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Yardage means nothing. When you throw more Ints than TDs you did not have a great game

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And please show me the Nissan Qashqai commercial again.

Listening to the dulcet tones of Bob Irving at 4 AM Dublin time is far superior to enduring Black, burger talk, and Quashquai. Plus... I got to watch a fight outside my window between two unbelievably drunk men....one of whom, had a dog with a protective cone. The dog kept trying to bite his owner's adversary, but ended up knocking him over into a puddle instead. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

good post

15 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Yardage means nothing. When you throw more Ints than TDs you did not have a great game

The first int was a tipped ball.  The second was underthrown a bit but would have helped if the receiver was looking back at qb. You seem hung up on the picks like they were mind blowingly bad or something.  The BC receivers were horrible last night.  Dropped a ton of passes.  They won't be able to throw Reilly under the bus like they did Jennings last year. Big Mike looked ready to snap last night.  Not catching the ball isn't going to cut it with him.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The key IMO was the 3 busts in the end zone.

I’m going to go with Nichols scrambling abilities on 2 of those TDs. Busted coverage indicates poor cover by the DBs. Clearly, our intended receivers were initially covered but Nichols did extend the play, therefore giving the receivers time to lose their cover guys. Score those two for Nichols .

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

First, I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, it’s a solid post. 

However, Reilly is known for throwing deep, thus the game plan would be designed that way.  The OC will call more deep plays because that’s what his QB prefers.  There no point in suggesting otherwise, it’s what Reilly led offences have always done. 

I would say both secondaries had coverage busts, with the Bombers giving up several explosion plays.  

You mentioned the running game - I think that was the difference - 150 yards compared to almost zero. 

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Except the Lions were not in a situation where they had to abandon the run until very deep into the 4th

Reilly got his one TD on a busted coverage, and basically 1/3 of his yards on 2 misplays by our secondary. 

He doesn't call the plays but this has been his MO for a couple of years, he is inaccurate in the intermediate passing game, which is why he only completed 53% of his throws

He constantly threw into double coverage as well.

You are propping up his performance based on 324 yards on 40 passes but that is not a huge number  and one TD off a bad read by Fenner leaving Durant wide open.

It is also clear that after nearly a decade of taking a beating that Reilly isn't in love with running for yards much any more.

The name on the back of the uniform is skewing how you view the performance. 

Our defence gave up a ton of passing yards and yet only about 10-15 of those yards wound up being a touchdown. Their defence gave up few passing yards and yet those few yards accounted for four touchdowns (yes, I’m counting the Strev one since that ball was on the one yard line thanks to the Woli catch). 

Where the yards happen on the field matters. 

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

The first int was a tipped ball.  The second was underthrown a bit but would have helped if the receiver was looking back at qb. You seem hung up on the picks like they were mind blowingly bad or something.  The BC receivers were horrible last night.  Dropped a ton of passes.  They won't be able to throw Reilly under the bus like they did Jennings last year. Big Mike looked ready to snap last night.  Not catching the ball isn't going to cut it with him.

If a receiver tips the ball, different story and probably not on the QB.  But that ball was tipped by a DB. 

Nichols was hands down better than Reilly last night. I said to Noeller right after the game that it was the best game Nichols has played in 2 years. I don't care that he had low yardage, he didn't need to put up big yards. He made the throws he had to, extended plays and was efficient in the redzone. Got help from the run game and just played efficiently. Reilly meanwhile just chucked bombs hoping for the best

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Nichols was hands down better than Reilly last night. I said to Noeller right after the game that it was the best game Nichols has played in 2 years. I don't care that he had low yardage, he didn't need to put up big yards. He made the throws he had to, extended plays and was efficient in the redzone. Got help from the run game and just played efficiently. Reilly meanwhile just chucked bombs hoping for the best

Reilly getting benefit of the doubt from receiver drops... but if Whitehead and Nichols are on the same page - that's two huge gains...

I expect Nichols to hit 300 yards against EDM

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

If a receiver tips the ball, different story and probably not on the QB.  But that ball was tipped by a DB. 

The ball wasn't a super pass and was behind receiver. He reached back so I thought he deflected it into the db and then it bounced up.. Either way it was bit behind

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

You won because Harris had another great game.  He is the team

Well u all over there say Powell is the best..and you guys have the best running backs.. so shouldn't u guys have won then too?

Reilly had 100 yards on 2 busted plays in first half too..after that he disnt do much in 2nd half..barely over 100 yards..so picked apart is quite the stretch

If your run game is working..u use it to death..btw..how many scores did Harria get..oh yeah none but Nichols tossed 3 tds..shows me a balance well greased offence as opposed to your pea shooter high school one..good luck getting 5 wins with that