Bombers @ Lions GDT!!!!!!!Finally!!!

Nolby

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not that Reilly is obsessing on the deep ball. It's that he was playing from behind and didn't have any running game to go to.

Put Andrew Harris on BC last night and Reilly looks like a world beater.

Nice excuse for him, but Reilly has been doing this for years.

12 minutes ago, J5V said:

We won because one Bomber player had a great game? What game were you watching?

Obviously everyone else chipped in. Lets be honest here and get to the heart of the matter.  Harris is a very good running back, he is even a great running back most of the time.  Rookie head coach was definitely out coached by the more experienced O'Shea.  To not be ready to load the box and shut down Harris was idiotic to say the least.  The Bombers go where Harris goes. BC has a poor defence, can't think of one player I would want on the Riders that plays with them.  So no, obviously one player didn't win it by himself. But the simple and very much expected game plan of just running the ball did the Lions in.  Claybrooks has a lot to learn yet about being a head coach, his inexperience showed last night.  The Bombers played a steady road game and simply made less mistakes than the Lions. 

We were starting a guy who while he's in year 4 was only making his third start at C, an undrafted UFA at one guard spot who's had a year and a highly touted rookie essentially at the other guard. Most years we'd all be freaked or using it as an excuse that we lost but they passed the test last night imo.

Burris had an interesting stat post game. After the TD in the third, MR only completed 4 passes.

15 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Nichols didn't put up gawdy yardage but he did make 2 TD's happen by extending plays with his feet until a reciever could get open.

Full credit to Nichols for those td's.  It broke down and he got his ass out of there and extended the play.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Obviously everyone else chipped in. Lets be honest here and get to the heart of the matter.  Harris is a very good running back, he is even a great running back most of the time.  Rookie head coach was definitely out coached by the more experienced O'Shea.  To not be ready to load the box and shut down Harris was idiotic to say the least.  The Bombers go where Harris goes. BC has a poor defence, can't think of one player I would want on the Riders that plays with them.  So no, obviously one player didn't win it by himself. But the simple and very much expected game plan of just running the ball did the Lions in.  Claybrooks has a lot to learn yet about being a head coach, his inexperience showed last night.  The Bombers played a steady road game and simply made less mistakes than the Lions. 

I'd take Odell as a DE over Hughes or Leonard just off the top of my head.

10 hours ago, StudentSection said:

What’s the reason we didn’t at least kick a field goal at the end of the game. We only play BC one more time and it could easily come down to point differential as a tie breaker on a 1-1 split. (Sorry if this has been talked about already)

I picked Harris as my lock of the week, so I wanted them to ram it home for a TD with Harris carrying the rock!

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

We were starting a guy who while he's in year 4 was only making his third start at C, an undrafted UFA at one guard spot who's had a year and a highly touted rookie essentially at the other guard. Most years we'd all be freaked or using it as an excuse that we lost but they passed the test last night imo.

Burris had an interesting stat post game. After the TD in the third, MR only completed 4 passes.

He didn't have a good game at all.

He threw the ball 40 times for 324 yards, 50% completion rate, 1 TD 2 Int

Not good. Particularly with 2/3 of those yards, and an 80% completion rate in the first half.

Edited by Geebrr

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

BC leading at half and 26-23 Bombers after 3.  Whole playbook should be open.  They made the choice not to use the run.  They had two import running backs dressed, both with career averages over 5 ypc.

One of BC's big issues is going to be the growing pains of the coaching staff.  I mean Nik Lewis is the offensive coach on the sideline with Jarious Jackson upstairs.

I agree with the 'growing pains', but our DL absolutely stuffed the run. Not sure if running for 2 or 3, then facing a blitz would have helped Reilly at all last night.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nice excuse for him, but Reilly has been doing this for years.

He had poor defences in Edmonton too.

Folks love to give QB's too much credit for the wins and too much blame them for the losses.

9 hours ago, bustamente said:

Front 7 looked great, db's need some work Hecht had a career game, 3 new starters on the interior of the o line held their own,Chung you choose poorly, Medlock as usual had a good game both kicking and punting the ST's were leaky tonight, Nichols shed the rust Harris bashed and gashed, Woli is turning into a star, all in all a great start to a long long season.

Image result for you chose poorly gif

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I agree with the 'growing pains', but our DL absolutely stuffed the run. Not sure if running for 2 or 3, then facing a blitz would have helped Reilly at all last night.

They ran 4 times out of what, 60 snaps?  I'd love to give our DL credit for that but it's just poor playcalling.  There's lots of ways to establish the run.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks love to give QB's too much credit for the wins and too much blame them for the losses.

The defence has nothing to do with Mike Reilly throwing bad passes and relying too heavily on the deep ball.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd take Odell as a DE over Hughes or Leonard just off the top of my head.

He is turning 35.  Even in his prime he has never been lane responsible. He doesn't play the run very well. Harris had a field day going right at him most of the night.  No thanks.  One trick pony

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

What did everybody think of the blind side penalty we got on one of our returns, coupled with another penalty on the play it really put us in a hole, personally I didn't think it was a blind side hit.

Best booth commentary of the game was Forde explaining that was a clean hit and that he didn’t agree with the call. Totally clean and proper play. 

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Grymes, TJ Lee, Junior Luke, Willis and Harris would all be upgrades in Sask... maybe even Herdman - at worst he's a wash with Judge

I know the cool thing to do around here is make fun of the Riders. We had the best defense last year in the league, and not much will change this year but yet you pick 5 or maybe 6 players off what is most likely going to be the worst defense in the league and suggest they will be upgrades in Sask??   Wow

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The BC defense just let the Bombers chew way too much time off the clock.  That's the beauty of running the ball. You control the clock, you control the game.  Also best way to beat Mike Reilly is to have him sitting on the bench waiting to come on the field

BC wasn't the biggest test for our young offensive lineman. But man were they dominant and impressive. When you see guys like Willis complaining and getting mad at the refs for all the little things these offensive lineman are getting away with its just a really good sign.  There will be bigger tests out there than BC but this group is only going to get better and they absolutely dominated BC on the inside run. Am i the only one who wants to see Nuefeld take his time in getting healthy and maybe remain in a backup role even then?

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I know the cool thing to do around here is make fun of the Riders. We had the best defense last year in the league, and not much will change this year but yet you pick 5 or maybe 6 players off what is most likely going to be the worst defense in the league and suggest they will be upgrades in Sask??   Wow

Newsflash - Riders D in 2019 is not the Chris Jones' D from 2018...

I know you guys worship Gainey but Grymes is one of the best HBs in the league - toss up between Purifoy and Lee...

I like Cam Judge but Herdman was decent last night...  its a wash

And yes, right now I'd take Luke and Willis over Hughes and Evans...

21 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

BC wasn't the biggest test for our young offensive lineman. But man were they dominant and impressive. When you see guys like Willis complaining and getting mad at the refs for all the little things these offensive lineman are getting away with its just a really good sign.  There will be bigger tests out there than BC but this group is only going to get better and they absolutely dominated BC on the inside run. Am i the only one who wants to see Nuefeld take his time in getting healthy and maybe remain in a backup role even then?

I thought Speller had a great game...  especially getting upfield to block

39 minutes ago, bustamente said:

What did everybody think of the blind side penalty we got on one of our returns, coupled with another penalty on the play it really put us in a hole, personally I didn't think it was a blind side hit.

Yeah that play was pretty messed up. The holding penalty was there, total hold- good call there. The Blindside was not a penalty at all, that was a totally clean hit- in the replay they slowed it down and it showed the blocker slow up... gauge when he was able to hit him legally- it was a perfect example of how not to get a penalty on a play like that- too bad the ref was ****.