Bombers @ Lions GDT!!!!!!!Finally!!!

Nolby

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why is Reilly struggling to win games?

Defenses have adjusted to him.  Defenses are holding him the pocket, playing quarters (4 DB's each covering deep quarter) and forcing him to be accurate in that 10-20 yard range.  He's not very accurate, he's a chucker.  He needs his receivers to have lots of room to work so he can leave the ball out and they can find it.  He doesn't play the mid-range game very well.  The offense designed and called for him is bombs and bubble screens.

Reilly is struggling to win games because his defence has been  letting him down and his OL isn't protecting him. Same as last year.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Reilly is struggling to win games because his defence has been  letting him down and his OL isn't protecting him. Same as last year.

His protection was great last night, although they did have to go to max protect and 7-8 blockers to do that.  He didn't make enough throws, and like last year, take away the big plays he can't put enough consecutive throws together to consistently drive the ball.

BC D wasn't great but certainly not terrible either.  Pretty average game, didn't give up many drives.  2 Bomber TD's came off turnovers, first one starting well on BC's side of midfield, second starting inside their 10.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

His protection was great last night, although they did have to go to max protect and 7-8 blockers to do that.  He didn't make enough throws, and like last year, take away the big plays he can't put enough consecutive throws together to consistently drive the ball.

I disagree. BC had to to to max protect and Reilly was still being hit as he threw.

Reilly made the throws, even under duress, his receivers let him down several times last night.

BC lost in a big part because our front 4 took the run away. Once you make a team one dimensional, you're likely to win.

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why is Reilly struggling to win games?

Defenses have adjusted to him.  Defenses are holding him the pocket, playing quarters (4 DB's each covering deep quarter) and forcing him to be accurate in that 10-20 yard range.  He's not very accurate, he's a chucker.  He needs his receivers to have lots of room to work so he can leave the ball out and they can find it.  He doesn't play the mid-range game very well.  The offense designed and called for him is bombs and bubble screens.

Hall's DBs 20 yards back seemed excessive to me... are you saying that this is the way to contain Reilly?  I mean once our DBs got their communication down, the bombers did contain him fairly well

44 minutes ago, Ripper said:

NIchol's does pretty well at what they ask him to do, which isn't much.  But you are right, he was efficient. 

Nichols threw 3 TD passes, which is 3 more than the Rider QBs combined for. If that "isn't much", I'll take not much every week. If Harker had thrown 3 TD passes, you'd be chipping in with all the others for the new statue of him outside Mosaic. I assume it would be next to the one that looks like a bunch of demons dragging a football player into the depths of hell. 

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Hall's DBs 20 yards back seemed excessive to me... are you saying that this is the way to contain Reilly?  I mean once our DBs got their communication down, the bombers did contain him fairly well

Hall's folly is the blitz, especially when he blitzes Bighill and the WIL.  Blitzing into max protect is just about the dumbest strategy.  That blitz leaves a huge gap between the line and the secondary.

Some post-victoriam thoughts: BC was fortunate to still be in the game in the second half. Reilly is still trying to just toss the ball up and expect that his receivers will win most of the possession battles. This worked for him in Edmonton, and might work his new gig, but it will take time even if ti does. I was surprised that his O-line protected him as well as it did. The Bomber front seven was sort of OK, but should get way better- hope Kyrie Wilson is OK, but with concussions, you cannot predict outcomes. Yes, Nichols had to shake off some rust, but I am encouraged by the increased variety in the passing attack- nice to see some long balls, even if they do not always connect. However, its is going to take more than good fortune for Lucky to hang around, and Wolitarsky is headed for an all-star season. Gray was a bit confused in his assignments a few times, but, by God, he has the physical tools, the smarts and the attitude to be a great lineman for a decade- and he is a homeboy to boot! Bonus. I'm not sure how much we can take out of the solid O-line play of the newbies, as BC's d-line does not look to be be great, at least not at this point. Ripper was saying that Harris is the team, but I would bet that Oliviera will be able to step in and do as well with a bit of experience- he is more pugnacious than Harris. Our corners did not look all that good- lets hope we can write that off to inexperience with each other as a group. Hecht was great, as was Wilson before he got hurt. In Hecht's case, maybe he can use experience and intelligence to compensate for lack of speed and size. And last but not least, it would appear that misgivings about Nichols bouncing back from an injury-plagued season are allayed. He is never going to run like a deer, but once Matthews is in the lineup and Nichols is in sync with his receivers, the offence should be epic!

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I disagree. BC had to to to max protect and Reilly was still being hit as he threw.

Reilly made the throws, even under duress, his receivers let him down several times last night.

BC lost in a big part because our front 4 took the run away. Once you make a team one dimensional, you're likely to win.

I agree about the max protect and the impact the line had on the run game and making them one dimensional.

However, Reilly did the same things in Edmonton. He obsesses on the long ball and his medium accuracy is just ok.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

How many 300 yard games did Reilly have?  12.  How many did Nichols have?  1.  Which team ran the ball and which team passed down field with it?  Gable got his carries in games when they were ahead. Running the ball was never their game plan.  No different than yesterday.  Genius game planning by Ritchie to be ready to shut the run down.  They only tried 4 times, I guess you scared them off. Meanwhile Reilly had no problem picking you apart for another 300 yard game.  Dam lucky for you the BC receivers dropped about 10 passes or it would have been worse. 

Give me a well-balanced attack like we had yesterday over the 300 yard games and 2 INTs. BC was completely off balance all game. 

Do you know what contributes to dropped passes? Lack of concentration on catching the ball. Do you know what contributes to a lack of concentration on catching the ball? Looking out of the corner of your eye for that big hit that's going to lay you out. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Our corners didn't look great? I'll grant you Fenner had a rough night but Winston Rose was our best DB by a mile.

Fenner made some big plays too, caused the first INT.

He's in a tough spot in a D that doesn't play a traditional deep safety as the field corner, especially against a chucker like Reilly.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fenner made some big plays too, caused the first INT.

He's in a tough spot in a D that doesn't play a traditional deep safety as the field corner, especially against a chucker like Reilly.

Hey, I like Fenner but he was beat clean at least a couple times. I recognize he's in a tough spot at all good to great CFL DBs get burned from time to time.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

You won because Harris had another great game.  He is the team

We won because one Bomber player had a great game? What game were you watching?

16 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I agree about the max protect and the impact the line had on the run game and making them one dimensional.

However, Reilly did the same things in Edmonton. He obsesses on the long ball and his medium accuracy is just ok.

It's not that Reilly is obsessing on the deep ball. It's that he was playing from behind and didn't have any running game to go to.

Put Andrew Harris on BC last night and Reilly looks like a world beater.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not that Reilly is obsessing on the deep ball. It's that he was playing from behind and didn't have any running game to go to.

Put Andrew Harris on BC last night and Reilly looks like a world beater.

BC leading at half and 26-23 Bombers after 3.  Whole playbook should be open.  They made the choice not to use the run.  They had two import running backs dressed, both with career averages over 5 ypc.

One of BC's big issues is going to be the growing pains of the coaching staff.  I mean Nik Lewis is the offensive coach on the sideline with Jarious Jackson upstairs.

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Lots of other years we would have been using injuries to our starting left guard and top wide receiver as an excuse for a close loss...  I think that's a credit to Nichols as well

Regarding the O Line, Gray is better than a any rookie, and the others were very capable. There was no short yardage situation that was a problem at all. Bombers seem to have all that figured out.