Week 1 Bombers v Lions Pre-game

Jpan85

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

The lack of an extra American DB as a DI concerns me since we're playing MR. 

This is my biggest concern.  We are going to be exposed with any injury - even if a player has to sit out 3 plays because he tweaks his pinky finger.  I am far less worried about our interior OL than most.  I think we can make it work on the pass pro.  We just may not be able to run the ball in the manner that we prefer. 

Exactly..not sure why many here think he cant..its prob from the on TD he and I cant remember who got beat on by Carter I think it was from miscommunication where they looked totally inept.

He has filled in many instances as well as the time the one game when I think 3 starters went down in a game and all the backups played lights out...

9 hours ago, Tracker said:

If history is any indicator, few teams come out of the gate at full speed, and the Bombers do have a few rookies, Even if they have been around for a while, they need time to adjust to each other. So the game will probably be a bit sloppy, particularly in the first half. Bombers still gonna win, though.

I believe that what's going to really help a lot is the talent, strength, and familiarity of our D. Offenses can take a while to come around but I am optimistic that our D will round into form quickly and will be a force all season.

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Can't compare mid-late season form from a cohesive secondary to a first game were 3 of the 5 pieces are new to the unit.  There are going to be breakdowns and mistakes made before they gel, facing Reilly and a few talented receivers those mistakes could have consequences.   

I'm hoping our D is ahead of their O. I'm predicting we give Reilly fits all night.

On 2019-06-14 at 2:14 PM, Mark F said:

Test Herdman using Lucky7. Herdman looked big and slow to me last season.

No way he can cover Lucky.

Once Lucky gets through,    Boom !!!  touchdown Bombers!

Good thing you are not a scout,  Herdman is going to be the next great MLB in this league.

On 2019-06-14 at 8:47 AM, Jpan85 said:

Even if that is Jessica Hecht at safety- that is a scary good defence

That will separate your Bombers from the Stamps over the year

That plus your strength and consistency in coaches will be what separates you from the rest of the west

If Matthews is back soon - 15 wins might be possible 

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Good thing you are not a scout,  Herdman is going to be the next great MLB in this league.

Bo. He's should be an excellent plug up the middle. A tackle machine. But he's never going to be An asset in coverage like that. Bighill shouldn't cover a guy like whitehead forget Herdman doing it 

Herdman is not as bad as many think, but not an all-star, either. Moreover, the interior of the Bomber O-line will take time to gel, so that will affect the running plays, thus taking pressure off the Lion MLB. Dumps over the middle ought to work, and God knows, Nichols has been used to doing that.

So lets look back at how the game played out and compare it to some of our areas of concern.

Nichols played a near perfect "Nichols" game.  A game manager not a gunslinger and at one point we were 3 for 3 in the redzone and no picks.  When was the last time a WBB team could boast that record?   Many were concerned about the interior of the O-line.  I think they answered the bell and more.  How many rushing yards did Harris get?  Plus Nichols was kept upright for most of the game. 

Special teams were a bit of a concern but they redeemed themselves with the blocked convert and ran it back for 2 very important points.  The secondary was a concern for myself and they played a so so game. I saw some good and bad but all in all they came out ahead.  I believe the talent is there but they'll need time to gel.

The front 7 had a strong game. I mean 4 yds rushing by the Lions is a testament to that. However, maybe I had too high expectations for the d-line as I thought they'd be more dominant. I know I'm nitpicking but I thought Jefferson would open up opportunities for the other guys.  

Now I'm going to take the opportunity to gloat about my boy Hecht.  He showed many of you that brains and experience can overcome other perceived deficiencies. He has game and he;s going to be an important contributing piece to this defence.  

All in all a damn good game 1 of the season and it'd just nice to win a game 1 once in awhile.

Well it turned out nice again (Cactus Jack Wells)