Week 1 Bombers v Lions Pre-game

Jpan85

Just now, Tracker said:

If history is any indicator, few teams come out of the gate at full speed, and the Bombers do have a few rookies, Even if they have been around for a while, they need time to adjust to each other. So the game will probably be a bit sloppy, particularly in the first half. Bombers still gonna win, though.

This.  With the way that pre-season is done now, there's really no way that we should expect that this will look pretty.   This is pre-season game three, except that it counts in the standings.  I fully expect it to look like that.  My only concern is that while having a bye week in week 2 allows some of our nicked up players a bit of time to heal, it also means that we'll be a week behind in working the kinks/rust out.  

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Really bizarre rule change

Not a rule change yet. Not until next year. 

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I uploaded BC depth chart. They're carrying 2 QBs only

Yeah they stated they'd only be dressing two QBs for the season during their 1st preseason game.

I think we have as many questions about our roster as the Lions do.  Our front seven are strong but the secondary could be still be the weak link. Special teams will be strong with Medlock and our usual stingy coverage teams.  On offence our O-line worries me as I didn't see enough of this group in the pre season to make any kind of evaluation.  Which Nichols will we see tonight?  The game manager or the skittish passer who misses his receivers.  Nichols play may also be affected by the play of the O-line. 

I like the makeup  of the team but I don't feel that our 2 pre season games gave me a confidence level that I need.    Plus Reilly has been a Bomber killer over the years. 

13 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I think we have as many questions about our roster as the Lions do.  Our front seven are strong but the secondary could be still be the weak link. Special teams will be strong with Medlock and our usual stingy coverage teams.  On offence our O-line worries me as I didn't see enough of this group in the pre season to make any kind of evaluation.  Which Nichols will we see tonight?  The game manager or the skittish passer who misses his receivers.  Nichols play may also be affected by the play of the O-line. 

I like the makeup  of the team but I don't feel that our 2 pre season games gave me a confidence level that I need.    Plus Reilly has been a Bomber killer over the years. 

First game of the season and anything can happen, as last year's home-opener demonstrated.  They have Reilly and a couple of dangerous targets who can strike fast, the Bombers have a secondary that hasn't played together before.  I put the odds of a Bomber victory at 50/50.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Our front seven are strong but the secondary could be still be the weak link.

I don't see that. I'm not sold on Hecht, but the rest of the guys have proven themselves in the CFL.

The only real concern I have is our interior ol against two very good defensive tackles for the Lions.

Edited by sweep the leg

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

I think we have as many questions about our roster as the Lions do.  Our front seven are strong but the secondary could be still be the weak link.. 

Other than safety I don't see it, that's a veteran group there. Sayles and Alexander came on strong last season. Agreed that the all new OL interior may lead to some hiccups but I ain't worried about any part of the defense. It will surprise a lot of people this year. Reilly likely has a high game cause that's what he does, but the D overall will be strong this year.

I don't even consider safety a weak spot..the position itself as named basically is your safety net in the back-end..so a smart guy who doesn't try to be a world beater and just plays within the system will be fine...when's the last time in the CFL that a safety was the lynchpin of a super defense...the main reason for it??..ummm...never

With our d-line..Bighill..and our 2 halfbacks..Sayles who I think was a gem unearthed and Alexander now in his 3rd year and as solid as HB come in the league, our safety just needs to survey the scene and come in and clean up the garbage, or add to the carnage the rest of this defense I believe will be laying on teams.

I'm super excited to see what the Jeffs and Richardson and Nevis are going to create, if it's what i think our blitz packages are going to be unreal and even though Reilly is a tough SOB to bring down and sack I can see 5 sacks coming tonight

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Other than safety I don't see it, that's a veteran group there. Sayles and Alexander came on strong last season. Agreed that the all new OL interior may lead to some hiccups but I ain't worried about any part of the defense. It will surprise a lot of people this year. Reilly likely has a high game cause that's what he does, but the D overall will be strong this year.

Can't compare mid-late season form from a cohesive secondary to a first game were 3 of the 5 pieces are new to the unit.  There are going to be breakdowns and mistakes made before they gel, facing Reilly and a few talented receivers those mistakes could have consequences.   

21 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Can't compare mid-late season form from a cohesive secondary to a first game were 3 of the 5 pieces are new to the unit.  There are going to be breakdowns and mistakes made before they gel, facing Reilly and a few talented receivers those mistakes could have consequences.   

Fenner was here last year and played, granted not CB, but really is it that hard of a position when he knows the defense? So really we got a safety who was here last year that's "new" and Fenner who is "new" but again was here last year and then one true new player, again another CB, not the most complicated position. The halfbacks are still the same, 

corner especially boundary corner is the easiest position to translate into the canadian game on defense...and Fenner has played corner before so it's not a "new" position to him..and he's probably the most athletic and in shape of all our DB's on the roster..I see no issues with him...Alexander and him will lock things down nicely and they both have good size and speed