Riders @ TiCats: 2019 Kickoff

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

There is no defence of that hit. It was as dirty as they come and deserves supplemental discipline. However, I think any other QB bounces right back up from that.

The problem is you don't know that.  Sure, I'd like to think players like Mike Reilly or Chris Streveler would have, but if they don't, then what?  What we see up here from the TV angle and how it actually happened down there can be two different things.

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

You'll always have guys lined up willing to spin the brain injury wheel in exchange for millions of dollars. Football isn't going anywhere.

Not today or tomorrow, but since liability still hasn't been settled, it'll be interesting to see how the game will change.  Can't see a day pre-apocolypse where the NFL is going to force players to sign a waiver saying they'll never sue the league if they get a concussion.

Just now, Wideleft said:

Not today or tomorrow, but since liability still hasn't been settled, it'll be interesting to see how the game will change.  Can't see a day pre-apocolypse where the NFL is going to force players to sign a waiver saying they'll never sue the league if they get a concussion.

That I could definitely see happening in the future.

“We had one instance in particular (last season) with Zach Collaros where, you know, we didn’t do a good enough job of getting him off the field fast enough,” Ambrosie said. “There was some learning there, so, you know, I think for as many good things there were a few that need some attention as we…move towards 2019.

“I think everyone feels strongly that we need to think about options. How we detect those head-to-head hits and should we use the Command Centre is a question that’s on the table. We had an additional official in our playoff games; we thought that was an appropriate way to…put in place something that might help.

“I think we need to put it all on the table and think about how it can help us.”

If these recommendations are approved at Board of Governors meetings later this spring, it’ll go a long way in limiting dangerous hits to the head. It’ll also minimize the chance of a repeat of the October incident Ambrosie referenced.

Think about it from the perspective of a linebacker or defensive end. Instead of leveling a high impact hit that could carry the risk of hitting the neck or head area, I think a lot of guys will ease up. Yes, players are conditioned to play hard to the whistle, but the risk of costing your team 25 yards, or almost a quarter of the field, is a powerful deterrent. The same is true with knowledge an eye in the sky is always watching.

Not only has the CFL talked at length about improving player safety and protecting quarterbacks, this past week proves it’s more than just lip service. The league is doing more to deter head hits than any other governing body in football. If that’s not a prime example of actions speaking louder than words, I don’t know what is.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/25/steinbergs-mmqb-actions-speak-louder-words/

3 hours ago, Zontar said:

Simply not true with a concussion history like Collaros. It's a decidedly  heightened risk. 

Disagree. Even someone with no history of concussions can suffer a traumatic brain injury from one impact. Some are simply more vulnerable than others and it also depends on the vector of the impact on the skull.

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

“We had one instance in particular (last season) with Zach Collaros where, you know, we didn’t do a good enough job of getting him off the field fast enough,” Ambrosie said. “There was some learning there, so, you know, I think for as many good things there were a few that need some attention as we…move towards 2019.

“I think everyone feels strongly that we need to think about options. How we detect those head-to-head hits and should we use the Command Centre is a question that’s on the table. We had an additional official in our playoff games; we thought that was an appropriate way to…put in place something that might help.

“I think we need to put it all on the table and think about how it can help us.”

If these recommendations are approved at Board of Governors meetings later this spring, it’ll go a long way in limiting dangerous hits to the head. It’ll also minimize the chance of a repeat of the October incident Ambrosie referenced.

Think about it from the perspective of a linebacker or defensive end. Instead of leveling a high impact hit that could carry the risk of hitting the neck or head area, I think a lot of guys will ease up. Yes, players are conditioned to play hard to the whistle, but the risk of costing your team 25 yards, or almost a quarter of the field, is a powerful deterrent. The same is true with knowledge an eye in the sky is always watching.

Not only has the CFL talked at length about improving player safety and protecting quarterbacks, this past week proves it’s more than just lip service. The league is doing more to deter head hits than any other governing body in football. If that’s not a prime example of actions speaking louder than words, I don’t know what is.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/25/steinbergs-mmqb-actions-speak-louder-words/

I think it's technique that has to change my with pass rushers and linebackers.

57 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

It's like they've never heard of Matt Dunigan, Buck Pierce, Ricky Ray etc.

Or pretty much any QB in this league that has played a few years. These types of hits have happen for years. Not saying it's right and agree it needs to be fixed but to blow the conspiracy whistle and that it's all this master plan against them is so laughable.

Part of me wishes Zach played the whole game and had 100 yards passing and 3 picks just to hear the excuses they would make then.