Riders @ TiCats: 2019 Kickoff

Well, while we still got 4 days to go till we kick our game off, we save the best for last.  Meantime, Thursday night should be a good one to kickoff the 2019 season.

The subplots: The TiCats for obvious reasons are the favorites to win the east, and with the return of Steinhauer, the high hopes they got on Masoli and what looks to be a rock solid roster, there's many reasons the optimism is high.

For the Riders, the questions will be whether or not Craig Dickenson will prove to be their O'Shea, and whether or not they can protect Collaros.  A lot of changes have come to the roster with several former BC Lions including Arceneaux and Elimimian now there as well as former Colts WR Moncrief.

All that to say, while Steinhauer built his reputation on running an aggressive defense for Kent Austin, I seen some experts on the CFL site expressing concerns about June Jones no longer being there to be the guider for Masoli.  So will the TiCats offense get a high level of play under a defensive HC?

And the Riders will be a very different team than what we saw under Chris Jones, a guy who could win but had a toxic attitude at times and brought in cancers like Duron Carter.  Question is will this change be for the better or the worse for them?  Can't wait to see what this year of change is going to be.

Everyone seems to be giving the Riders the benefit of the doubt. 

Sure Collaros was absolute garbage last year, continuing his downward spiral to sub-mediocrity, but... 

Sure Jones was the linchpin that kept their defense organized but...

Sure their offense looked like hot garbage but...

Sure their best receivers left but...

Sure their best two defensive players left but they picked up a couple of old guys, so...

Sure they dumped a very good positional punter but picked up an old NFL punter, so...

Sure their offensive line was old and tired last year and now they're older and broken but...

But nothing. So what. They're going to be really bad this year.

Hamilton by 20 points. 

12 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, while we still got 4 days to go till we kick our game off, we save the best for last.  Meantime, Thursday night should be a good one to kickoff the 2019 season.

The subplots: The TiCats for obvious reasons are the favorites to win the east, and with the return of Steinhauer, the high hopes they got on Masoli and what looks to be a rock solid roster, there's many reasons the optimism is high.

For the Riders, the questions will be whether or not Craig Dickenson will prove to be their O'Shea, and whether or not they can protect Collaros.  A lot of changes have come to the roster with several former BC Lions including Arceneaux and Elimimian now there as well as former Colts WR Moncrief.

All that to say, while Steinhauer built his reputation on running an aggressive defense for Kent Austin, I seen some experts on the CFL site expressing concerns about June Jones no longer being there to be the guider for Masoli.  So will the TiCats offense get a high level of play under a defensive HC?

And the Riders will be a very different team than what we saw under Chris Jones, a guy who could win but had a toxic attitude at times and brought in cancers like Duron Carter.  Question is will this change be for the better or the worse for them?  Can't wait to see what this year of change is going to be.

Former colts reciever Donte Monrief plays for the steelers?

Edited by Gotmilt

33 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Steinauer was a Stubler protégé. And he's letting the unspectacular  Washington  run it.  Stublers defense hasnt been in vogue for years. 

Which is why HAMS defense is a giant question mark to me still.

DeVone Claybrooks is also a Stubler protege and Stubler is the DC in BC. I'd say that means that Stubler's defence is not only still in vogue, but one of the best systems in the CFL.

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Steinauer was a Stubler protégé. And he's letting the unspectacular  Washington  run it.  Stublers defense hasnt been in vogue for years. 

The D Steinhauer ran in Hamilton before was not like Stublers at all though. 

Finally some serious CFL action. Thursday, June 13, 7pm ET

Game Notes - 

Saskatchewan at Hamilton 

The Tiger-Cats and Roughriders have matched up in the CFL's opening day, first-game-of-the-schedule event on just two previous occasions and just once in the last 47 years (2012).

Week #1 Success:     Since 2014 and the return to a 9-team CFL, Calgary and Ottawa have been the most successful Wk #1 teams.   Of note, Winnipeg has not won in Week #1 since 2015, the longest active drought and Hamilton trails at just 1-4.

Starting QBs to Start 2019 / Major Turnover:

Only 3 clubs - Calgary (Mitchell), Hamilton (Masoli), and Saskatchewan (Collaros) - will be starting the same QB in Game #1 in 2019 as they did in 2018. By comparison in 2018, 5 clubs kept the same Week #1 starter as in 2017.

Opening Rosters to Start 2019 - Growth in 1st Year Players: Of the 495 players that appeared on the initial Week #1 CFL rosters after cutdown, a total of 92 players will be entering their 1st CFL year - that represents 19% of CFL rosters. In 2018 that same number was just 81 first year players or just 16% of the total.

The lowest pick to make a roster out of the 2019 Draft was Winnipeg's Kerfala Exume chosen 70th overall.

Ti-Cats 2018 - Season of Streaks: After a 2-4 start, they went 4-1 to go over .500. They ran out the year at just 2-5 in their last 7.

Riders 2018 - Slow Start, Strong Finish: SSK started off just 3-4 but went 9-2 over their last 11 games to wrap up 2nd Place.

Saskatchewan comes in riding a 5-game win streak over Hamilton - since 2004 they are 23-7 .767 vs Hamilton.

- The Riders have the CFL's oldest roster heading into 2019 at 28.2 years per player - the CFL average is 27.3 years of age.

Hamilton's roster contains more 1st Year players (15) than any other club

Jeremiah Masoli had 12 games of 300+ yards passing last year, two short of the CFL record of 14 in one season.

- Saskatchewan held Masoli to his season-low of 184 passing yards in their visit to Hamilton last year (28-20-184-1-0).

- Turnovers were the key in their 2018 season series - Saskatchewan had 2 compared to Hamilton with 8.

Saskatchewan tied the CFL record with 11 defensive return TDs matching BC's 11 in 1987.

Saskatchewan had the #1 defence in the CFL at just 317 yards per game in 2018 - the first time they were #1 since 2008.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2561/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-hamilton-tiger-cats/#more

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎11 at 8:27 PM, JCon said:

Sure Collaros was absolute garbage last year, continuing his downward spiral to sub-mediocrity, but... 

Sure their best two defensive players left but they picked up a couple of old guys, so...

Sure they dumped a very good positional punter but picked up an old NFL punter, so...

Sure their offensive line was old and tired last year and now they're older and broken but...

Hamilton by 20 points. 

We beat them both times last year and have won the last 5 games in a row against them.  They have 15 rookies on their team and you are picking them by 20?  Ok then

I think the Riders may take it. Their starting roster is pretty good. Not sure the depth is there but it won't matter a lot in game 1.

Everyone is assuming the Ticats will win the East and while that seems logical, I just have a feeling they won't be as good this year.

Of course as a western division fan and regular Rider-hater I'm cheering for Hamilton.

On 2019-06-11 at 9:27 PM, JCon said:

Hamilton by 20 points. 

I haven't seen anyone give them the benefit of the doubt including me.  I just said I think they're going to be quite a different team than what we seen because Dickenson is likely a very different HC than Jones.

Notice I do not equate being different to being better.  They very well could be quite a bit worse this year ... Or god forbid maybe they are better.  We just don't know and are curious to find out what they got.

30 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I think the Riders may take it. Their starting roster is pretty good. Not sure the depth is there but it won't matter a lot in game 1.

Everyone is assuming the Ticats will win the East and while that seems logical, I just have a feeling they won't be as good this year.

Of course as a western division fan and regular Rider-hater I'm cheering for Hamilton.

I dunno..no labatte though he not that good no more..bladek fresh off injury and isnt that good..same with Clarke.. Blake old as dirt and unproven backup as their 6th

No Solomon and he may not have it no more..Means hasnt played since a short stint in 2016..linebackers look real suspect..Edem..well he gets beat more than he does anything spectacular..

Other than injury prone Roosevalt that receiving Corp has to be bottom tier in league until they prove otherwise..rookie hc and DC and top it off hanging season on Collaros...dont see that as anything more than a 7 or 8 win team and that's being kind...Powell wont be a difference maker there and will be beat down sooner than later as he is 32 as well..

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I dunno..no labatte though he not that good no more..bladek fresh off injury and isnt that good..same with Clarke.. Blake old as dirt and unproven backup as their 6th

No Solomon and he may not have it no more..Means hasnt played since a short stint in 2016..linebackers look real suspect..Edem..well he gets beat more than he does anything spectacular..

Other than injury prone Roosevalt that receiving Corp has to be bottom tier in league until they prove otherwise..rookie hc and DC and top it off hanging season on Collaros...dont see that as anything more than a 7 or 8 win team and that's being kind...Powell wont be a difference maker there and will be beat down sooner than later as he is 32 as well..

I agree, but i bought into them sucking last year and came in second on the backs of the defense.   i always think they will be bad, so this year i'm thinking they will be pretty good, just so that they suck.

Logic you can't dispute. 

On 2019-06-12 at 11:05 AM, 17to85 said:

The D Steinhauer ran in Hamilton before was not like Stublers at all though. 

This, and it's why I'm not so sold on the idea of Dinwiddie being a good offensive coordinator simply because someone might think he's a Dave Dickenson protege.

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I agree, but i bought into them sucking last year and came in second on the backs of the defense.   i always think they will be bad, so this year i'm thinking they will be pretty good, just so that they suck.

Logic you can't dispute. 

I don't think the Riders need help from anyone to find their way to the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't disagree but Roosevelt can be one of those guys that can take over a game. Same with Powell (maybe not with the oline but).  If their defense can cause turnovers then I can definitely see it happening.

Start of the year in the CFL, something unexpected is going to happen.  I just have a feeling it might be this game.

44 minutes ago, BBlink said:

But how good do they have to be?  I mean, Ottawa might be lucky to win four games this year with the big mess they have there.  I would have given some hope for Montreal until Mr Nutjob Kavis Reed struck again just when you thought he couldn't do anything stupider.  And that pretty much just leaves Toronto, and on paper at least they aren't much better.

Hamilton may only need to win 8 games this year to win that division because thus far, I've seen nothing to indicate the balance of power isn't still heavily shifted in the West.