Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Yourface said:

To be fair, it was kind of a freak accident, with Rempel's head hitting the turf the way it did.

It was no freak accident.

Remple’s head bounced because he wasn’t ready to absorb that hit. 

That alone should have been THE indicator that it was roughing. It was an aggressive hit and injured a player. 

Duh! 

What else do you need?

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

It was no freak accident.

Remple’s head bounced because he wasn’t ready to absorb that hit. 

That alone should have been THE indicator that it was roughing. It was an aggressive hit and injured a player. 

Duh! 

What else do you need?

It was an aggressive, but unfortunately legal hit. I don't believe it was meant to cause injury.

Edited by Yourface

The hit on Rempel was legal.  The rule says you cannot hit him until his lifts his head.  He lifted his head and got hit - in that order.  What do you expect the league to do? 

There is no rule that you cannot hit someone hard.  Rempel will look at the film and say that he should have stayed lower as he brought his head up.   It's no different than skating through the neutral zone with your head down.

I preach about protecting players all the time.  But I don't want anyone refereeing based on how injured a player was after the play.

Just now, MC said:

The hit on Rempel was legal.  The rule says you cannot hit him until his lifts his head.  He lifted his head and got hit - in that order.  What do you expect the league to do? 

There is no rule that you cannot hit someone hard.  Rempel will look at the film and say that he should have stayed lower as he brought his head up.   It's no different than skating through the neutral zone with your head down.

I preach about protecting players all the time.  But I don't want anyone refereeing based on how injured a player was after the play.

Give me a break. It's absolutely nothing like skating with your head down in the neutral zone. The only somewhat accurate comparison would be a RB with the ball running with the head down. If you want to make a hockey comparison, it would be a goalie outside his crease getting plowed over with his head down looking for the puck. 

It wasn't within the spirit of the rule at all and that's why we've rarely (if ever) have seen this happen until now. All this did was force the league to make the rule black and white so this never happens again. 

It was a cheapshot 10000%. Dickenson even said so. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

4 hours ago, Yourface said:

Y'all are too sensitive.

The league said that there is nothing in the rule book prohibiting this type of hit, and that they will look at ways to prevent this from happening in the future, which is exactly THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

To be fair, it was kind of a freak accident, with Rempel's head hitting the turf the way it did. Had he simply fallen on his back, this wouldn't even be a point of discussion. I don't believe the hit was malicious in nature.

Emphasis mine, from Unnecessary Roughness in CFL rulebook, seems like they've chosen to allow the hit because they could easily deem it illegal.

g. Delivering a blow to an opponent in the neck or head including the long snapper on kicks from scrimmage and convert attempts,

h. Delivering a forcible blow to the long snapper while their head is down and they are in a vulnerable position and unable to protect them self,

u. Unnecessary physical contact, including but not limited to, running into, diving into, cut blocking or throwing the body on a player who is:

1. out of the play, or
  2. should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead, or

v. Any other act of roughness or unfair play, provided it is not considered excessive enough to warrant disqualification.

dirty hit by sask on bomber..... ok... but we'll change it. cause it's not really ok.

improbable penalty  called on Jefferson  for a phantom late hit on a sask player..... fine.

the disproportionate penalty calls in that last game was actually comical. and bombers the least penalized team to boot.

second rate.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

dirty hit by sask on bomber..... ok... but we'll change it. cause it's not really ok.

improbable penalty  called on Jefferson  for a phantom late hit on a sask player..... fine.

He is lucky all he got was a fine...

Edited by Ripper

Yikes cmon. Brutal deliberate cheapshot on a QB. Jefferson is who he is.

He's like the Hammer Shapiro. He may be an SOB, but he's our SOB. I won't be buying his jersey, but I won't cry about the havoc he causes... to the benefit of my team. May he cripple 100 QBs this season (not really but kinda)