Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I have never seen anyone on this board say he's crap.....some don't think he's ready to start right now......but that's a long way from "he's crap.....

He's been called LeFevour for cripes sakes.

It’s a bit of an interesting scenario. Nichols is a better overall qb right now, but given his age and injury history you have to think he is close to peeking if he hasn’t already. Strevlor s the best of the back ups hands down...actually he’s better than half the starters in the CFL. He has a ways to go to become as complete as Nichols, but he has a lot of the intangibles that can perhaps help him surpass Nichols in a couple years. The debate can also be made with regards to O’shea and Lapolice. Which of the two will benefit the team long term? If the club wins the Grey Cup I would be more inclined to perhaps trade Nichols and maybe let O’Shea go to Toronto. Nichols and O’Shea could possibly save the Argos. Strevlor would continue to grow under Lapolice’s tutelage, and would give Laoplice a multitude of ways to be used. Again I would only give any consideration to this idea if the Bombers were successful winning the Cup this November. Just my opinion as not only a Bomber fan but a fan of the CFL.

2 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

It’s a bit of an interesting scenario. Nichols is a better overall qb right now, but given his age and injury history you have to think he is close to peeking if he hasn’t already. Strevlor s the best of the back ups hands down...actually he’s better than half the starters in the CFL. He has a ways to go to become as complete as Nichols, but he has a lot of the intangibles that can perhaps help him surpass Nichols in a couple years. The debate can also be made with regards to O’shea and Lapolice. Which of the two will benefit the team long term? If the club wins the Grey Cup I would be more inclined to perhaps trade Nichols and maybe let O’Shea go to Toronto. Nichols and O’Shea could possibly save the Argos. Strevlor would continue to grow under Lapolice’s tutelage, and would give Laoplice a multitude of ways to be used. Again I would only give any consideration to this idea if the Bombers were successful winning the Cup this November. Just my opinion as not only a Bomber fan but a fan of the CFL.

Wait, what? We win the GC and you let O'Shea walk? No thanks! Never. Absurd. 

Nichols is far different because of the lifespan of the  QB, which he's clearly on the backside of the the career curve. 

Next year will be yr 3 for Strev...and if we keep him will be in same system with relatively the same supporting cast.

I think if we win the Cup..we either trade Nichols if there is a taker..a team like Toronto could be a suitor considering they just traded for Collaros.

We roll with Strevler..tweek and reconfigure the offense a bit to maximize his strengths but still build and develop his passing.

He can pass more than adequately and as the main man..getting first team reps and not having to run gimmick and special schemes he will do just fine.

As of now he is put in to run plays with limited options for him..so if the main read isnt there he basically has not much else to go to and relies on his legs

It's not a matter of him just always taking off after one read as many think..its basically be design/circumstance.. next time you are at a game live watch what's going on around him on the field with options and receivers...you dont get the full picture on the tsn feed

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Here's your number one pick - first overall - and a share in Bre-X.  Which one is more valuable?  Discuss.

Bre-X Wow. That is one stinky example to pull out. Blame it on the dead guy. I think the Nortel stock drop is a better example. One analyst described how drinking beer was a better investment because you could get a a deposit from the empties.  

5 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Bre-X Wow. That is one stinky example to pull out. Blame it on the dead guy. I think the Nortel stock drop is a better example. One analyst described how drinking beer was a better investment because you could get a a deposit from the empties.  

John Felderhof, the main architect of the Bre-X scam, is still alive and well and living in the Philippines.  Nortel math:

Retirement Plan

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the original $1,000.00

With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of Beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling price, you would have $214.00.

Based on the above, current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

It’s called the 401-Keg Plan.

The other side of the coin regarding Nichols/Streveler... is what if we don't win the Cup...That will put a whole new look on the quarterbacking situation in this town...Coming up empty year after year running Nichols as your no1 ain't gonna wash...I'm a positive thinker and I think we have the team to win it all this year....but there will be a lot of assessment at years end if we don't....In that case I say we definitely keep Streve...... Nichols....wellll the jury will be out

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The other side of the coin regarding Nichols/Streveler... is what if we don't win the Cup...That will put a whole new look on the quarterbacking situation in this town...Coming up empty year after year running Nichols as your no1 ain't gonna wash...I'm a positive thinker and I think we have the team to win it all this year....but there will be a lot of assessment at years end if we don't....In that case I say we definitely keep Streve...... Nichols....wellll the jury will be out

I reluctantly agree. You can't blame losing on one person but it would be hard to go forward with Nichols if he doesn't play well in the playoffs and we lose. 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

If he has many more games like the last one, I say pull the trigger. I agree that we have the pieces to win now, and I would hate to see it go to waste. In fact, after last year's performance against Calgary, I might have traded him and rolled the dice with Streveler the whole season. We'd  be further ahead. But that's 20/20 thinking and after a 5-1 start is an argument that wouldn't fly. For sure though, we have to win it all this year. 

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:

I had a buddy who made a fuckton of money on Nortel...  After the big crash he basically gambled call options from the bottom of the dip in 2002 until it skyrocketed in 2004... decided that was probably the end of the good times and starting buying puts all the way to 2008 when the premiums started getting too expensive (because everyone and their dog were expecting the company to go bankrupt)

All in he took 1000$ and turned it into something like 300,000$ buying nothing but Nortel over 6 years...

34 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Free Agency could play a role in how this all shakes down, it just takes a couple of desperate teams clamouring for a starting QB to push Nichols price beyond Walters ability to make a rational counter offer.   Hopefully they have at least one of Nichols or Strev. locked in before F.A. so they have a fall back in place in case one of the two bolts out the door.

This is gonna be a tough choice for the Bombers. Nichols has shown that he can win, albeit inconsistently.  Streveler has shown that he has the tools but lacks the experience and under O'Shea and LaPolice, he may not get it in Winnipeg. We cannot expect Streveler to bide his time endlessly waiting for his opportunity, so the most likely scenario is that the Bombers will trade one or the other, and I am personally leaning towards keeping Streveler.

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This is gonna be a tough choice for the Bombers. Nichols has shown that he can win, albeit inconsistently.  Streveler has shown that he has the tools but lacks the experience and under O'Shea and LaPolice, he may not get it in Winnipeg. We cannot expect Streveler to bide his time endlessly waiting for his opportunity, so the most likely scenario is that the Bombers will trade one or the other, and I am personally leaning towards keeping Streveler.

Agree. The big thing to consider is the next Nichols contract. Riding out 2020 with his $400K deal is still pretty good from a pure dollars perspective. But, there's no way I'd be willing to pay Mike Reilly or BLM money for him the year after. So, might be best to move on from him regardless of the outcome this year, and pass the torch to Streveler or some other lower priced option with potential.  

11 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree. The big thing to consider is the next Nichols contract. Riding out 2020 with his $400K deal is still pretty good from a pure dollars perspective. But, there's no way I'd be willing to pay Mike Reilly or BLM money for him the year after. So, might be best to move on from him regardless of the outcome this year, and pass the torch to Streveler or some other lower priced option with potential.  

I believe the MR and BLM contracts won't be the norm going forward for QBs. CGY has been able to make a go of it so far, we will see what happens come the 2nd half. And BC is struggling mostly due to MR contract (my opinion anyway).