Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

NIce!

Yes it is.  We aren't right on the lake but it's only a ten minute walk away.  Or a five minute ride to grand beach.  Baby deer jumping through the yard, bears crossing the main road or eating outta the local bar garbage bin,  wayyyy too many noisy birds .... yeh it's nice and will be even better once the tv is working for CFL football.

Despite being 4-0 Some food for thought...

I wasn’t pleased with our defensive play the other night, but overall, I’m happy,” he said. “I’m encouraged by where we’re at right now.

“… Like I told them, I’m happy for you guys that we won and everything, but I thought it was our worst outing defensively this year regarding being sharp, being focused, doing the things we need to do.

“That started off in practice… I didn’t like the way we practiced last week and that carried over. I’m happy that we won, but we can’t have that kind of effort week in and week out and expect to win.”

Richie Hall to Ed Tait

👁‍🗨And, this well explained article.. This is not so good..

After five weeks, the Bombers rank last in passing yards per game and seventh in passing yards against per game. They also have given up 27 20-plus yard completions, double than any other CFL team.

And

Winnipeg’s operating on short fields. Their league-best average starting field position is from the 41-yard line, nearly six yards higher than the league average.

But

When they’re on offence, it’s likely a two-and-out or a quick six. Winnipeg has 24 two-and-outs, the second-most in the league.

But

Winnipeg’s first in passing efficiency at 117.8 and Matt Nichols is first among starters with a 126 efficiency rating. Nichols’ 10 touchdowns to one interception largely plays into that.

Below are Matt Nichols 2019 passing yards by quarter.

1st - 305

2nd- 294

3rd - 207

4th -   49.  

A whopping 70 per cent of Matt Nichols passing yards have come in the first half of Winnipeg’s four games. 

Winnipeg’s scoring early and cruising to victory. They’ve led all four games going into the fourth quarter by an average of 12 points. Nichols hasn’t needed to move the ball in the final frame yet and the 49 fourth-quarter passing yards shows just that.

Perhaps the most alarming passing observation has been opponents’ tendencies to attack Winnipeg’s field-side through the air.

Chandler Fenner’s been the poster boy of this, but neither Brandon Alexander or Derek Jones — albeit Jones in limited action — have fared well.

Where it gets tricky is the fact that Fenner’s made some nice plays (but he’s also been horrific on some). He’s giving up a 62 per cent completion rate on balls thrown his way, which is a fine number considering players like Aaron Grymes and Tre Roberson are at 59 and 64 per cent.

Consistency in coverage is the issue for Fenner. He’s breaking on balls well and has shown the strength to separate the ball from a potential pass-catcher. It’s just the frequent breakdowns — the stumbles and penalties — that are damaging Fenner’s name.

https://lastwordoncanadianfootball.com/2019/07/16/winnipeg-blue-bombers-passing-yards-coming-early-against-field/

8 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Yes it is.  We aren't right on the lake but it's only a ten minute walk away.  Or a five minute ride to grand beach.  Baby deer jumping through the yard, bears crossing the main road or eating outta the local bar garbage bin,  wayyyy too many noisy birds .... yeh it's nice and will be even better once the tv is working for CFL football.

We've had a family cabin on my mom's side at Victoria Beach since about 1925, and at a couple of different points, my dad has lived at Hillside, and now he's been at Belair for a year. The East Beaches holds a special place in my heart...you're definitely in for a treat down there.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We've had a family cabin on my mom's side at Victoria Beach since about 1925, and at a couple of different points, my dad has lived at Hillside, and now he's been at Belair for a year. The East Beaches holds a special place in my heart...you're definitely in for a treat down there.

My Dad owned the hotel at Grand Beach for a number of years in the 60's and 70's.

11 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Despite being 4-0 Some food for thought...

I wasn’t pleased with our defensive play the other night, but overall, I’m happy,” he said. “I’m encouraged by where we’re at right now.

“… Like I told them, I’m happy for you guys that we won and everything, but I thought it was our worst outing defensively this year regarding being sharp, being focused, doing the things we need to do.

“That started off in practice… I didn’t like the way we practiced last week and that carried over. I’m happy that we won, but we can’t have that kind of effort week in and week out and expect to win.”

Richie Hall to Ed Tait

👁‍🗨And, this well explained article.. This is not so good..

After five weeks, the Bombers rank last in passing yards per game and seventh in passing yards against per game. They also have given up 27 20-plus yard completions, double than any other CFL team.

And

Winnipeg’s operating on short fields. Their league-best average starting field position is from the 41-yard line, nearly six yards higher than the league average.

But

When they’re on offence, it’s likely a two-and-out or a quick six. Winnipeg has 24 two-and-outs, the second-most in the league.

But

Winnipeg’s first in passing efficiency at 117.8 and Matt Nichols is first among starters with a 126 efficiency rating. Nichols’ 10 touchdowns to one interception largely plays into that.

Below are Matt Nichols 2019 passing yards by quarter.

1st - 305

2nd- 294

3rd - 207

4th -   49.  

A whopping 70 per cent of Matt Nichols passing yards have come in the first half of Winnipeg’s four games. 

Winnipeg’s scoring early and cruising to victory. They’ve led all four games going into the fourth quarter by an average of 12 points. Nichols hasn’t needed to move the ball in the final frame yet and the 49 fourth-quarter passing yards shows just that.

Perhaps the most alarming passing observation has been opponents’ tendencies to attack Winnipeg’s field-side through the air.

Chandler Fenner’s been the poster boy of this, but neither Brandon Alexander or Derek Jones — albeit Jones in limited action — have fared well.

Where it gets tricky is the fact that Fenner’s made some nice plays (but he’s also been horrific on some). He’s giving up a 62 per cent completion rate on balls thrown his way, which is a fine number considering players like Aaron Grymes and Tre Roberson are at 59 and 64 per cent.

Consistency in coverage is the issue for Fenner. He’s breaking on balls well and has shown the strength to separate the ball from a potential pass-catcher. It’s just the frequent breakdowns — the stumbles and penalties — that are damaging Fenner’s name.

https://lastwordoncanadianfootball.com/2019/07/16/winnipeg-blue-bombers-passing-yards-coming-early-against-field/

Hasn't Nichols though not really played in the 4th quarter of 2 games?...the Ottawa one where he didn't slide in time, and most of the 4th vs T.O...so numbers are a bit skewwed 

You also can't fault a team for starting in good field position...if defense is giving the ball back in good position and your return game is is doing the same..thats a plus in my books...sign of a well rounded team

I really like Lake Wpg, specially the East side, and the absolute wilderness right beside it. Amazing place. I would love to take a boat trip right to the top of the lake.  Great in the winter too. Highly underrated, which is good in a way.

Penton article this week from the insiders

• When Joe Mack was our GM we could have traded for Ricky Ray. He said we didn’t need him. Same year we drafted Tyson Pencer in the first round. But when (the team was) struggling, he fired (Paul LaPolice) in August. Look, I’ve heard both sides of the Ray debate. Great player who couldn’t stay healthy, but at that point, Buck’s (Pierce) injury history was worse.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

How does any team not at least entertain the idea of Ricky Ray back when he was in his prime.   Insanity.....

Cause Joe Mack knew better!

Scouts??? **** the scouts! I was in the NFL! I know better!

Canadians??? Pfffttt, who needs 'em?? Dime a dozen.

He didn't inherit a great team but that jackass made it worse and set us back years.

Most likely. Or Lapo. It gets more fustrating when they had a excellent judge of Canadian talent on staff. If he would of just handed over anything to do with Canadians eg the draft to Walters he might of stayed employed longer.

Mack had his problems and Burke was one of the worst head coaches in history but at the time, he was a hot commodity and the best DC in the league. Burn Mack for his drafting and how he handled the QB situation but firing Lapo was the right call. He was in WAY over his head as a head coach. Whoever hires him next will see the same thing. 

21 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Most likely. Or Lapo. It gets more fustrating when they had a excellent judge of Canadian talent on staff. If he would of just handed over anything to do with Canadians eg the draft to Walters he might of stayed employed longer.

Walters was AGM and head of Canadian recruitment for the Bombers at that time. He wears some of the stink as well and so does Lapo who lobbied hard for Mack to draft Etienne.

Contrary to popular belief these decisions are not made in a bubble. Mack didn't pull these names out of his arse. They were supplied to him by the scouts along with recommendations and discussion on where they fit on the draft board. Colossal high pick draft busts didn't end when Mack left....just saying.

Edited by gcn11

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Its been noted that he would pick who he wanted and would not take Walters advice.

Noted by who? Walters? At the end of the day Walters supplied him with these gems and if Walters was immune to draft busts we wouldn't know such illustrious names like Ekakitie.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

based on where we were when The Trinity took over to where we are today, it is insane to me that anyone can question how much better off we are with this regime in place than pretty much any other available in the league.

I didn't hear anyone questioning that. Just pointing out that Walters/OShea/Lapo had growing pains of their own that we went through. They have morphed into maybe the league's best trio but let's not pretend it was all smooth sailing right from the beginning. As a rookie, Walters had a terrible first year. Drew Willy....need I say more. Since then he has redeemed himself.

I just find it disingenuous when INSIDERS from the Bombers (unless it's Lapo) feel the need to take swipes at a GM that is 5 years removed from here. Especially, when they were a part of the brain trust he relied on....and don't give me this crap that Mack just did whatever he wanted on draft day. He never scouted a NAT EVER. He was going off the scouting reports handed to him by one Kyle Walters.

If Walters is salty about Mack picking Pencer all those years ago he shouldn't have provided the name with a glowing endorsement.

Edited by gcn11