Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

One of my favourite plays was the catch where Wolitarsky put his shoulder into the db and pushed the ball down to the goal line (and I think a review might have called that a td) love a receiver who just goes forward and makes the db man up to try and stop you.

I couldnt and still dont understand how that wasnt ruled a TD on the review. Head shaker. 

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Scapegoat update after game 1:

Nichols - Low yardage, high QB rating, and showed nice touch on a couple of long passes. But the best part of his game was his escapability in the red zone. Looks like the knee problems from last year are not a factor, and his scrambling led to the Adams and Wolitarsky (#2) TDs. Will always be on the list due to the nature of the position, but slides down the depth chart with a solid game (management).

Hecht - Another serving of crow, anyone? Even if you take away the 2 INTs, his chicken dance to Duron Carter should remove him from any scapegoat consideration for a while.

Demski - Fairly uninvolved game for one of our key Canadian offensive weapons. And ball security reared its ugly head again with a fumble that luckily rolled out of bounds. But wins gloss over many flaws, so he is off the hook for now.

Couture - Some good protection, but even better run blocking from the interior of the line. Whole o-line is in the good books for now.

Wilson - 3 tackles, no glaring mistakes, only the injury seems notable from this game for him, although I wasn't tracking him specifically to make a full analysis.

Any new candidates? Fenner got beaten badly on a TD pass, but redeemed himself immediately with the blocked convert return.. Cover teams may need some work, not sure who missed their assignment on the kick return TD. Whitehead did very little offensively to show off his speed and was not out on the return team.

Also Wilson is the one that ran down Burnham on his second big catch (in a row) to save a TD that became a field goal. 

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

Jefferson because he didn’t get three sacks and a pick six

Fixed that for you. 

I wouldn't trade Neufeld at all..that be the stupidest thing to do for several reasons..one he's one of the better guards in league...secondly he and Bryant are a well oiled unit..thirdly if we did and one of Gray or Speller go down we are hooped..not to mention a well respected locker room leader and what..maybe 30 this year so still young for olineman. 

You dont throw away solid Canadian depth ..when he is ready he is back starting and Gray and Speller battle it out for the starter and 6th spot

25 minutes ago, O2L said:

Also Wilson is the one that ran down Burnham on his second big catch (in a row) to save a TD that became a field goal. 

Fixed that for you. 

Yeah one of the fastest Wils in the league, former big time track guy. Showed exception quickness, speed and strength before he got hurt. He was having a real coming out party hope its nothing serious. 

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

..one he's one of the better guards in league...

😆

You can argue underrated, and that he contributes to a unit that is more then the sum of its parts etc etc but one of the best guards? Like what top 20? Its more likely hes never been the best guard on the team then one of the better guards in the league....

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

😆

You can argue underrated, and that he contributes to a unit that is more then the sum of its parts etc etc but one of the best guards? Like what top 20? Its more likely hes never been the best guard on the team then one of the better guards in the league....

Except for Chungh, who’s better when healthy? 

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

I've been saying for years, you can say that Neufeld is injury prone, but don't question his talent. Dude is great, and a key cog to our OL. 

I have that drive last year still queued up on my PVR from the Sask-Bomber playoff game, where the entire O-line is pushing the Sask D line down the field and Neufeld is expressing his love loudly for the manliness of the Sask defence.  I can never get tired of that play.

This guy needs to get a lot of credit for the Bombers O line.

Marty Costello enters his fourth year with the Blue Bombers and third as the club’s offensive line coach.

https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/marty-costello/

Used to bug me when Calgary could change players on their O line, with no loss of effectiveness.

Now the Bombers have the same thing.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Used to bug me when Calgary could change players on their O line, with no loss of effectiveness.

I've heard the sky is falling and that our team is going to finish in the bottom half of the league because we lost 3 NI starters, including 2 on the line. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I've heard the sky is falling and that our team is going to finish in the bottom half of the league because we lost 3 NI starters, including 2 on the line. 

sky also was falling when the chubby O line guru left for the NFL and Marty Costello replaced him.

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have that drive last year still queued up on my PVR from the Sask-Bomber playoff game, where the entire O-line is pushing the Sask D line down the field and Neufeld is expressing his love loudly for the manliness of the Sask defence.  I can never get tired of that play.

EXACTLY....That whole drive was a thing of beauty, and what the field mikes caught on that one particular play was priceless

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It's what happens when you start to develop solid depth, have guys that can push the back half of your talent pool and legitimately push for playing time.  

The drop off just isn't as huge as it has been in years past because we've taken the long view in how we manage our roster (and draft).

Although looked upon as problematic back then, it sure looks good now..

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have acquired non-import offensive tackle Patrick Neufeld and a 4th round pick in the 2015 CFL Draft from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for import defensive end Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick in the 2014 CFL Draft.