Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

55 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

What's nice right now is that we have the possibility to start 8 Canadians.   Perhaps once Kongbo is healthy we can look at always have a Canadian in on the defensive line and starting an American based safety.  

When Thomas comes in we can sub Hecht for an import even without “starting” a Canadian on the DL.

I suspect that Hecht will play about half the snaps and most often come out on 2nd and longs, and when we are in 30 fronts with Briggs getting some reps at WIL too.

3 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Meh, our d-line is gonna slit throats this year.

Loffler did absolutely nothing since his first year besides blow guys up. Half the time he got penalized too (even though they were usually bad calls).

Looked good with big hits, but was usually being burned out there. He was a lot like Fogg, the odd big play but usually got absolutely torched most games.

Not worried about safety at all. If it's your defense's only concern I'd say that's pretty good 

Loffler is a playmaker for sure, grabbed a lot of turnovers.  Consistency wasn’t there.

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

When Thomas comes in we can sub Hecht for an import even without “starting” a Canadian on the DL.

I suspect that Hecht will play about half the snaps and most often come out on 2nd and longs, and when we are in 30 fronts with Briggs getting some reps at WIL too.

As the roster currently stands they don't have an extra Import DB to do that, so that can't be the plan.  

Alexander,  Fenner, Gaitor, Rose, Sayles,  are all they have, the rest were shuffled onto the PR.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I was wondering who'd be this years player the fans love to complain about. Hecht is winning the 'Sam Hurl' award this year for sure.

I had honestly thought about starting a new thread on "who is the scapegoat this year?" and debated the good taste of it, but given the history of this forum I think the topic is ripe for debate. And great moniker for the award!  Who will join the previous luminaries who have won, like Dave Donaldson, Kito Poblah, Kerwin Bell, Brock Ralph, Sean Salisbury, Doug Brown (write-in candidate from Nasty Nate), Kevin Glenn, Kamau Peterson, and Hall of Fame member Troy Westwood?

Coaches exempt from consideration, since every one of them since Bud Grant, save for Mike Riley, is an automatic target no matter what. 

This year's contenders:

Matt Nichols - the starting QB in Winnipeg is always going to be on the short list until they win a Cup or break a yardage record. Almost should be a separate category for them like coaches. Just a reminder, Streveler is 1-3 as a starter, Nichols is 30-14.

Hecht - hilarious that the guy he replaced in Loffler (a 3-time CFL all-star mind you) got trashed fairly regularly when he played here the last couple of seasons for not being able to cover, and yet we've downgraded? Maybe safety just isn't that important a position if a scrub like Loffler can be so inconsistent and lousy yet still be the best in the league.

Nic Demski - Just a gut feeling here. Had a couple of big games last year where he looked like a future star, but also some inconsistency and trouble securing the ball at times. With Dressler gone fans may expect the local kid (who had never come close to 500 receiving yards before last season) to step up, and if he doesn't come close to 1000 they may turn. I think Wolitarsky will get more of a pass than him for the time being.

Michael Couture - If the o-line struggles, people will look to the replacements for Goosen and Cheung for the scapegoat, and I think as the rookie Grey will get more of a pass. Maybe Neufeld if he stays hurt or comes back playing worse because of an undisclosed injury.

Kyrie Wilson - AKAChip write-in candidate.

Any others?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I had honestly thought about starting a new thread on "who is the scapegoat this year?" and debated the good taste of it, but given the history of this forum I think the topic is ripe for debate. And great moniker for the award!  Who will join the previous luminaries who have won, like Dave Donaldson, Kito Poblah, Kerwin Bell, Brock Ralph, Sean Salisbury, Doug Brown (write-in candidate from Nasty Nate), Kevin Glenn, Kamau Peterson, and Hall of Fame member Troy Westwood?

Coaches exempt from consideration, since every one of them since Bud Grant, save for Mike Riley, is an automatic target no matter what. 

This year's contenders:

Matt Nichols - the starting QB in Winnipeg is always going to be on the short list until they win a Cup or break a yardage record. Almost should be a separate category for them like coaches. Just a reminder, Streveler is 1-3 as a starter, Nichols is 30-14.

Hecht - hilarious that the guy he replaced in Loffler (a 3-time CFL all-star mind you) got trashed fairly regularly when he played here the last couple of seasons for not being able to cover, and yet we've downgraded? Maybe safety just isn't that important a position if a scrub like Loffler can be so inconsistent and lousy yet still be the best in the league.

Nic Demski - Just a gut feeling here. Had a couple of big games last year where he looked like a future star, but also some inconsistency and trouble securing the ball at times. With Dressler gone fans may expect the local kid (who had never come close to 500 receiving yards before last season) to step up, and if he doesn't come close to 1000 they may turn. I think Wolitarsky will get more of a pass than him for the time being.

Michael Couture - If the o-line struggles, people will look to the replacements for Goosen and Cheung for the scapegoat, and I think as the rookie Grey will get more of a pass. Maybe Neufeld if he stays hurt or comes back playing worse because of an undisclosed injury.

Any others?

Off topic, but anyone else see that Darrin Bauming is predicting that Speller starts ahead of Gray?

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This year's contenders:

Any others?

Where is Sam Hurl? His W was bulls eye around these parts. He was always in the tumble of bodies at the line and almost never figured in the stat lines. Honestly if the D line gets the kind of pressure that Jeffrerson and Jeffcoat could theoretically generate, Hecht might end up being an interception leader. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This year's contenders:

Any others?

🤣

Qb can and will always be a prime contender. 

I think demski is going to have a career year actually. But if he doesnt stay healthy look out.

Ol is a big one too. Continuity is a big issue. 

WR is always a hot pick here. Weve had great camp performances before and seen a lot of scapegoating wrs. 

Coaching is the biggest one id add. If we dont excel, plops too passive, Halls defense is too soft, mos is too much of a veterans coach etc. As soon as we lose a game this year I fully expect to see a Bump to either the old when is mos time up? / fire hall threads. 

Of course the biggest one is the front office / walters. You cut Zach!!!!!! Zach for gm!

S is a position where a great player has a huge impact, but any thing less has a nominal impact. The last truly great impact saftey I recall is Mo before he moved to sam. I think in this case its also highlighting the overall strength of the roster. It just makes the existing holes seem larger. Ol continuity is worrying me. And the derek jones behind hecht has been confusing, But I have come to suspect that the reason is Jones can back up at DB and hecht cant. And currently we dont have a back DB on the roster. (also a bit of a concern though we have always run rosters with a lot of LBers and thin depth elsewhere) 

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Off topic, but anyone else see that Darrin Bauming is predicting that Speller starts ahead of Gray?

Yeah, I think he also reported gray felt/seemed rusty. I feel like taking our lumps and growing pains with Gray, speller or desjarlais is well worth it. Doing it with both will be really tough. IF couture takes a step forward though that will help a lot. 

Gray is the one I like most of the three. But I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. 

6 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Where is Sam Hurl? His W was bulls eye around these parts. He was always in the tumble of bodies at the line and almost never figured in the stat lines. Honestly if the D line gets the kind of pressure that Jeffrerson and Jeffcoat could theoretically generate, Hecht might end up being an interception leader. 

Still with the rudders. Though he is deeper down the depth chart now. Yeah he was pretty much thrown into the meat grinder every play. An extra body kind of used like a nose tackle to open things up for other guys. I hate that role / usage in general. 

Idk about that, but the strength of the 5 Dbs around him and Bighill taking up the middle in front of him is going to make its really tough on QBs combined with that pressure. 

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Kuale asks why he was left off the target list. Macho Harris is also wondering what else he had to not do. Oh and Roc Carmichel says why not me?

In the modern era, I think the worst was either Kuale or Roc. Roc was burned soo frequently it was insane. Kuale took about the same number of stupid penalties. Especially any time some one else on the D made a big play. 

52 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This year's contenders:

Any others?

I'm going to toss in the incredibly unpopular choice of Chris Matthews. The "return of the prodigal son" comparison between he and my last year's candidate: Adarius Bowman, puts a knot the size of Matt Sheridan's noggin in my stomach. 

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Agreed that Hecht is a potential concern. For all of his other faults, Chris Jones was an excellent defensive coordinator and, by extension, a good assessor of talent. Hecht was assessed as not good enough and I do not know how he could suddenly improve due to a geographical change. Wilson is a bit more of a mixed bag and at least deserves a change to play himself on or off the team. I just hope we do not let him twist in the wind if he is not the answer.

Chris Jones also assessed that Sam Hurl was good after we parted ways with him. Not saying I like or don't like Hecht in the position, but all they needed was to have someone better than him in order for him to be released. I don't see his release from Sask as evidence that he's no good.

50 minutes ago, O2L said:

Chris Jones also assessed that Sam Hurl was good after we parted ways with him. Not saying I like or don't like Hecht in the position, but all they needed was to have someone better than him in order for him to be released. I don't see his release from Sask as evidence that he's no good.

Chris Jones though selected and got rid of guys a lot of times based on height and stature alone...he always pooched his shorter players and most times for unfounded reasons...other than his disdain for them...

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Really hope they use a DI on another DB and not on Temple because a) I think it helps the secondary and b) you can then just rotate Thomas and Hecht as your 7th starter.

I would be shocked if they didn't start 8 NIs because that's what they do...